Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 10-12-2018, 05:15 PM   #1
Percell64

Drives: 2016 Nightfall Gray 2SS
Unhappy Blown CV boot. Again.

Had the car for a little over 2 years now, put 44k miles on it and its my daily driver. At around 25k miles my driver side cv boot to the axle blew apart righy before i made it to work; thankfully i was able to coast into the dealership. What had happened was the bolts had backed out most likely due to not being torqued enough from the factory and not being long enough. It wasnt really an issue since chevy fixed it under warranty. But now its 20k miles later and the same exact thing happened but now on the passenger side. I know that this topic has been discussed before I just figured I'd put my two cents in after having the same thing happen to me in nearly the exact same spot it happened the first time. The car is a 2016 2SS M6.
Some people might say its due to dogging out the car but i was pulling out of work doing somewhere between 1500 and 2k rpm when i heard a loud clunk then the car literally lost all power and just revved out. race car problems i guess.
Percell64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 06:41 PM   #2
Percell64

Drives: 2016 Nightfall Gray 2SS
Took it to Alamo City Chevy and they're claiming I'm the first person to ever blow out the axle on a relatively stock 6th gen SS.
Percell64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 10:56 AM   #3
MackSteelPrivateEye
Banned

Drives: 6 on the Flo' Super Sport
Never heard of that issue. Anyone else seen it. I'm only at 18.5k miles on my 17'. Don't want this issue in 6kmiles. Somebody tell me its just a fluke.
MackSteelPrivateEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 11:43 AM   #4
torqueaddict

Drives: Tesla M3 LR-AWD [Former 1SS owner]
See the thread with the heading 'broken axle'. Same thing most likely. The 2016s had issues with the bolts backing out. Something about them being too short. According to what I've read here, they've been updated since then. I can't remember reading any other year with this problem.

OP: have the dealer replace the bolts on all four joints if they are covered under the TSB. I cannot understand why they'd only do one side.

LOL, the 'broken axle' thread is you too.
torqueaddict is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2ss, axle, broken