Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Nav, Radar, Electronics

AWE Tuning

Old 07-17-2019, 02:35 PM   #1
mfk

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro 2.0T LT
Lightbulb 2016+ Camaro Audio Packages Summary

Edit - Apparently the bottom applies only to 2016 - 2018 cars. 2019 may have changed again.

Hey guys - I've spent the past few days reading all the threads I can find on this topic and I wanted to collect it in one location for everyone's benefit.
(But mostly my own because I'm hoping someone will correct me if I'm wrong)

->1LT - non Bose
  • No amplifier in trunk
  • 6 speaker system
  • Best way to upgrade is to tap speaker line out (from where?)
  • Door chimes will be amplified (what does this mean?)
  • All channels receive full range of sound (???)
->2LT - Bose
  • Bose amplifier in trunk
  • 9 speaker system
  • Rear channels have no bass
  • Best way to upgrade is to get a harness that converts digital signal into pre-amps
  • Need to defeat ANC if adding subwoofers
->1SS - Non Bose
  • Generic amplifier in trunk
  • 6 speaker system
  • Rear channels may or may not have bass (?)
  • Best way to upgrade is to get a non bose harness
  • Need to defeat ANC on this as well if adding subwoofer
->2SS - Bose
  • Bose amplifier in trunk
  • 9 speaker system
  • Rear channels have no bass
  • Best way to upgrade is to get a harness that converts digital signal into pre-amps
  • Need to defeat ANC if adding subwoofers
->1SS 1LE - Non Bose
  • No amplifier in trunk
  • 6 speaker system
  • Best way to upgrade is using the PAC audio or NAVTV module.
  • These modules intercept the audio signal at the radio tuner module behind the glovebox
  • Door chimes and turn signal chime levels can be adjusted seperately
  • All channels receive full range of sound if you are looking to tap speaker outs (???)
If you can add any certainty to my bolded italicized questions.
That would be amazing!

Thanks for reading!

Props to user KirkH who collected the following list of links that I perused:
https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=535567
https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=547568
https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=548696
https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=543886
https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=544360
https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=536672

Last edited by mfk; 07-17-2019 at 04:21 PM.
mfk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 02:53 PM   #2
oOKhanhOo

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE
I have the 1SS 1LE. The best way to upgrade the audio system is using the PAC audio or NAVTV module. The module intercepts the audio signal at the radio tuner module behind the glovebox. And gives clean and flat RCA outputs. Not only that, you can independently adjust the door chime/turn signal chime level.

This is the best way to upgrade the audio system for the 16-18. The 19+ uses a different type of system from what I’ve read on here.
oOKhanhOo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 04:17 PM   #3
mfk

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro 2.0T LT
Thank you so much!
Editing the original post
mfk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 05:06 PM   #4
oOKhanhOo

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE
The Bose system benefits from the pac/NAVTV modules also. Best way to upgrade the audio system
oOKhanhOo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 05:58 PM   #5
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
1LT can have bose as an option.

sorry, ANC exists with bose on all trims with it but the I4 has the added benefit of electronic engine noise enhancement. The V6 and the V8 have mechanical sound enhancements that can be disabled mechanically. The SS may or may not have electronic options as well. Not sure.

Best way to upgrade any of the bose systems is less of a harness and more of a BCM/module that converts MOST50 to something reasonable and non-proprietary (be that analog preeamps or optical) There are a couple options.

Last edited by cellsafemode; 07-17-2019 at 06:09 PM.
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 03:13 PM   #6
MANNAXMAN

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS Convertible
2SS convertibles with Bose only have 7 speakers. I presume the same is for 2LT Bose.
MANNAXMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 04:06 PM   #7
jimrhodes

Drives: chevrolet camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by oOKhanhOo View Post
The Bose system benefits from the pac/NAVTV modules also. Best way to upgrade the other audio system
I want to upgrade my audio system now. I think this thread will help me with that.

Last edited by jimrhodes; 05-14-2020 at 12:00 PM.
jimrhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 10:33 PM   #8
Msquared

Drives: Chevrolet SS 1LE
Quote:
->1LT - non Bose
  • No amplifier in trunk
  • 6 speaker system
  • Best way to upgrade is to tap speaker line out (from where?)
  • Door chimes will be amplified (what does this mean?)
  • All channels receive full range of sound (???)

->1SS 1LE - Non Bose
  • No amplifier in trunk
  • 6 speaker system
  • Best way to upgrade is using the PAC audio or NAVTV module.
  • These modules intercept the audio signal at the radio tuner module behind the glovebox
  • Door chimes and turn signal chime levels can be adjusted seperately
  • All channels receive full range of sound if you are looking to tap speaker outs (???)
AFAIK, the 1LT and 1SS 1LE sounds systems are the same, except maybe for the display that you see in the dash (but which does none of the actual work of creating sounds). Since there's no amp in these models, all the actual audio work in these cars is done by the Radio Control Unit (radio tuner module) tucked up behind/beside the glove compartment. That's where the speaker outputs come from, and there's a chip inside the RCU that provides the meager amplification. BTW, the rear speakers do not get a full-range signal from the RCU - only the front speakers do. So you don't want to tap the rear channel signal for any purpose. In any case, I believe you can have the exact same bullet points for both the LT1 and 1SS 1LE systems.

Let's clarify what those bullet points should be. 2016-2018 Camaros use the MOST communication strategy. There are DSP options for them, such as the PAC Audio or NAV TV modules that you noted. IMO, those are definitely the best way to go if you are willing to spend the money. Along with options for better sound quality, they allow the factory chimes to stay at their current level, rather than amplifying them along with the music. I think this is also true of the Bose systems, BTW. If you want to go cheaper/simpler, then you can tap the speaker-level outputs from the RCU. This likely has worse sound quality, and it amplifies the chimes by the same amount of gain as it does the music (the amp determines the amount of gain). To go this route, ideally, you would use a T-harness that plugs into the RCU and then the factory harness plugs into that. It would break out the eight speaker wires that you could send to your amp and then feed them back to the factory speaker wiring. You wouldn't have to tap or cut any factory wires. I don't know of such a harness on the market right now, although you might be able to use the Axxess AX-DSP-GMLAN09 in that fashion (I'm not sure). So I'd make a bullet point for the "best" way and the "cheap" way. Both have their places.

Given those changes, then the bullet points for the 1LT and 1SS 1LE systems are accurate up through 2018. But for 2019+, GM changed to an ethernet AVB communication strategy in the Camaro. That changes things. For now, the only processor-based interface I know of for these cars is the NAV TV ZEN AVB-GM. But according to their site, it's only for Bose-equipped Camaros. So that sucks for the rest of us. Maybe one of these days... But for now, if you don't have Bose, your only option is to tap the speaker-level outputs from the RCU again. But now the connectors and pinouts are very different. I don't know of any T-harness that will help you avoid cutting/tapping factory wires at this time. I'm hoping there will be a solution to that soon, but it isn't simple or cheap. The factory connectors alone are expensive, from what I can see online.

Tags
car audio