Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 07-20-2009, 10:18 PM   #43
Moose

Drives: '99 Camaro SS #1392
Quote:
Originally Posted by redjewel View Post
Thanks Ed for all your help and your recommendation of Zaino. It is awesome.

Anyway Brake Dust. What do you recommend to use to wash the wheels? Currently using Z-7 works pretty good but I don't know if there is anything better or not. I am also interested to know if there is a reliable brake dust repelent that will not discolor or damage the wheels over time. I have the 20" Polished wheels.
Thanks for your help.
I'm glad to hear you're happy with Zaino!

Regarding the wheels, I've used Z2 on both chrome and polished rims. This will not only offer you very good protection, and shine, but will make the removal of brake dust much easier.

To remove brake dust, all I use is the same car wash I use in washing the car. The only thing I do differently is to use a separate sponge for the wheels.

I've detailed a few cars where the brake dust has blackened the wheels significantly, and in those cases, I use 'Eagle One' wheel cleaner.

Hope that answered your questions?

Ed
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 09:06 AM   #44
Camaro007

Drives: 2SS/RS Black
I have a questions. Black 2SS and I have used Zaino to clay and wax the car. (2 times already) Used Z-PC to remove the water spots and also use DI water due to bad well water. With the DI water I don't dry the car as much, just minor detail. I also use the two bucket system to wash the car. The car looks great from a distance in the sun, but up close I see spider webbing. The car is only 2 months old. What can I do about this. Would a Black wax work with a follow-up of Zaino? Any suggestions? or am I stuck with this spider webbing. I wouldn't think a NEW Paint job on this type of car would show spider webbing only two months after receiving the car. Any help here would be greatly appricated.
Old 07-21-2009, 09:20 AM   #45
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose View Post
you can polish the outside of the glass with a good wax/polish.
I've never heard of using wax/polish on windows before. Is there any special preparations you need to do? Any special instructions or just follow the Zaino instructions for the paint? Also does it have the same or better effect on water as Rain-X does?

Thanks
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 09:44 AM   #46
Moose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Draco View Post
I've never heard of using wax/polish on windows before. Is there any special preparations you need to do? Any special instructions or just follow the Zaino instructions for the paint? Also does it have the same or better effect on water as Rain-X does?

Thanks
If you were to use Zaino on the exterior of the glass, you'd follow the same procedures as you would polishing the paint. I've done this to my Jeep as its my "daily driver" and its worked very well for me.

Regarding 'Rain-X', I used it once. Maybe I did something wrong, but it left a "film", which I did not like.

Another "option" is 'Stoners' Invisible Glass w/ Rain Repellant. Its new and works well.

Ed
Old 07-21-2009, 10:29 AM   #47
Mr_Draco

Quote:
If you were to use Zaino on the exterior of the glass, you'd follow the same procedures as you would polishing the paint. I've done this to my Jeep as its my "daily driver" and its worked very well for me.

Regarding 'Rain-X', I used it once. Maybe I did something wrong, but it left a "film", which I did not like.

Another "option" is 'Stoners' Invisible Glass w/ Rain Repellant. Its new and works well.

Ed
But does it have the same effect as Rain-X does on water? I agree with the film Rain-X leaves which is why if Zainoing the windows is just as good, this is what I'll do.

I wanted to get the Stoners with Rain Repellent but the only place I can find it is on their web site but I'm not paying $10 per bottle. I'll wait until it makes it way to the auto parts stores and get it for half that.
Old 07-21-2009, 05:59 PM   #48
CamaroSS24
Ford Convert

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS - Yellow/RS pk
Moose, you are awesome (except for the cowboys star - GO EAGLES!!). I'm going for the Zaino stuff, I trust the opinions I read here. I have a nice sheepskin mitt, so that is good for washing I hope. How do you avoid swirls? Is there a wash method that keeps this to a minimum? And how do you avoid the edges of vinyl stripes when washing & waxing?
ORDERED: April 15, 2009 Est. Delivery: August, 2009?

CamaroSS24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 08:00 PM   #49
redjewel

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS RJT
Quote:
I'm glad to hear you're happy with Zaino!

Regarding the wheels, I've used Z2 on both chrome and polished rims. This will not only offer you very good protection, and shine, but will make the removal of brake dust much easier.

To remove brake dust, all I use is the same car wash I use in washing the car. The only thing I do differently is to use a separate sponge for the wheels.

I've detailed a few cars where the brake dust has blackened the wheels significantly, and in those cases, I use 'Eagle One' wheel cleaner.

Hope that answered your questions?

Ed
I'll use some z-2 on them and see how that works out.

Thanks
Old 07-21-2009, 09:34 PM   #50
Moose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Draco View Post
But does it have the same effect as Rain-X does on water? I agree with the film Rain-X leaves which is why if Zainoing the windows is just as good, this is what I'll do.

I wanted to get the Stoners with Rain Repellent but the only place I can find it is on their web site but I'm not paying $10 per bottle. I'll wait until it makes it way to the auto parts stores and get it for half that.
The Zaino will help repell the water, as well as make it easier to remove bugs, etc...

As for 'Stoners', I find it at WalMart, Target,...if you can't find it in the next couple of weeks, let me know and I'll see what I can do to help.

Ed
Old 07-21-2009, 09:44 PM   #51
Moose

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSS24 View Post
Moose, you are awesome (except for the cowboys star - GO EAGLES!!). I'm going for the Zaino stuff, I trust the opinions I read here. I have a nice sheepskin mitt, so that is good for washing I hope. How do you avoid swirls? Is there a wash method that keeps this to a minimum? And how do you avoid the edges of vinyl stripes when washing & waxing?
I've learned to "DUCK!" being a Cowboys fan in Eagles territory!

"Avoiding swirls" ;

First "tip" - the more you touch the paint surface, re; washing, polishing, etc., the more opportunities for swirls, etc.

* ALWAYS rinse the car very well prior to washing
* ALWAYS use a clean wash mitt (sheepskin or chenile)
* ALWAYS use the proper towels for drying/polish removal (I like the "blond" towels offered by Zaino)
* ALWAYS use a good quality applicator for applying polish

* Follow the directions provided by Zaino for application and removal of Zaino
(top to bottom on sides/front to back on top body panels)
(you should not apply much pressure applying/removing polish)

* DRYING after washing
- remove spray nozzle on hose and let water sheet away during rinsing
- fold towel in half, lay on paint surface, and pull towards you, using NO pressure

* NEVER use a spray detailer if too much dust/dirt has accumulated on paint surface
* NEVER wash/dry in direct sunlight or during high temps.

Stripes;

* TAKE your time
* When washing, move sponge along edges, never across
* When applying polish, never go over edges - apply along edges

I hope those tips will be of some help. If not, please let me know.

Ed
Old 07-21-2009, 09:47 PM   #52
Moose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro007 View Post
I have a questions. Black 2SS and I have used Zaino to clay and wax the car. (2 times already) Used Z-PC to remove the water spots and also use DI water due to bad well water. With the DI water I don't dry the car as much, just minor detail. I also use the two bucket system to wash the car. The car looks great from a distance in the sun, but up close I see spider webbing. The car is only 2 months old. What can I do about this. Would a Black wax work with a follow-up of Zaino? Any suggestions? or am I stuck with this spider webbing. I wouldn't think a NEW Paint job on this type of car would show spider webbing only two months after receiving the car. Any help here would be greatly appricated.
What towels are you using in polish removal and drying?
Old 07-21-2009, 09:51 PM   #53
Mr_Draco

Quote:
The Zaino will help repell the water, as well as make it easier to remove bugs, etc...

As for 'Stoners', I find it at WalMart, Target,...if you can't find it in the next couple of weeks, let me know and I'll see what I can do to help.

Ed
Thank you thank you thank you.

I'll do this tomorrow since I'm off work finally for a couple days.

I don't have a Target near me and they tore down my local Walmart as they are building a new Super Walmart in it's place. If Walmart carries it then I can wait a couple more months for them to finish.
Old 07-21-2009, 10:05 PM   #54
CamaroSS24
Ford Convert

Great advice. I'm going to print this and tape it in my garage! Now all I need is the damn car. Freaking 4D. Ugh. Thanks a ton! ~Bil

Old 07-22-2009, 07:32 AM   #55
Moose

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSS24 View Post
Great advice. I'm going to print this and tape it in my garage! Now all I need is the damn car. Freaking 4D. Ugh. Thanks a ton! ~Bil
Bill, when you're car arrives let me know!

Malvern isn't too far away...I'd be glad to stop by and help ya'.
Old 07-22-2009, 09:38 AM   #56
CamaroSS24
Ford Convert

Will do!