Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 09-02-2019, 06:11 PM   #1
driven2exceSS

Drives: 2016 2SS BLK A8 Vert
P1839

Anybody know anything about this code (P1839) and how to make it happy again? I'd like to enjoy my second HPDE day (tomorrow) at the Glen without having to go into limp mode I have an OBD reader and the code keeps coming back upon reset after a couple laps. I tried no tap, one tap, two taps, and long hold and it doesn't make a difference. Research is showing something with transmission?? Maybe I try running full auto and not manually shift it, but that scares me a little on unpredictability of shifts. I am calling the hometown dealer in morning for an appt as it will be less than a week till I have another two-day event back here!! Thanks in advance for any advice...
NPP, MRC, Tinted side & rear reflectors, OEM ZL1 Rockers / 3rd Brake / Darken tail lights, OEM Blk rear splash guards, Satin hood wrap, Fuse pull, Sound tube delete, Cat delete, Ported 95 TB, Ported MSD IM, Dry RotoFab, ARH 1 7/8 headers, E85, "Performance Dyno" Tune, BMR "pieces", "Track" alignment, Hawk DCT-70/70's w/SRF, Goodridge lines, Ti shims, Red powdered calipers, 18" APEX SM-10's w/ Pirelli DH's, FE4 Vert swaybars, Brake cooling ducts, ATI 10% UD, Vorshlag camber plates, OEM 1LE Splitter w/APR Ext., Velossa BIG MOUTH Ram Air, CF QA1, ZLE brakes(F)
driven2exceSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 06:58 PM   #2
DenverTaco07

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2017 Volt, 2013 Pilot
Is your transmission seem to shift ok? Maybe check in full Auto and in paddle shift modes.

That code might be related to a stuck transmission solenoid.
Old 09-02-2019, 07:08 PM   #3
driven2exceSS

Yeah it actually has been shifting okay, and then also okay up to 4000rpm once it throws the code (again). I've continued to run in limp mode and short shifting before 4000 without problems too. Maybe I try the stick lever for shifting verses the paddles and see if that does anything. But overall nothing noted in the shifts prior or after code thrown.
NPP, MRC, Tinted side & rear reflectors, OEM ZL1 Rockers / 3rd Brake / Darken tail lights, OEM Blk rear splash guards, Satin hood wrap, Fuse pull, Sound tube delete, Cat delete, Ported 95 TB, Ported MSD IM, Dry RotoFab, ARH 1 7/8 headers, E85, "Performance Dyno" Tune, BMR "pieces", "Track" alignment, Hawk DCT-70/70's w/SRF, Goodridge lines, Ti shims, Red powdered calipers, 18" APEX SM-10's w/ Pirelli DH's, FE4 Vert swaybars, Brake cooling ducts, ATI 10% UD, Vorshlag camber plates, OEM 1LE Splitter w/APR Ext., Velossa BIG MOUTH Ram Air, CF QA1, ZLE brakes(F)
Old 09-02-2019, 07:56 PM   #4
DenverTaco07

Here are related DTC codes to P1839:

P182F, P18B7,
P18BC, or P18C1

P1839 according to service manual:

DIAGNOSTIC INFORMATION AND PROCEDURES > DTC P182F, P1839, P18B7,
P18BC, OR P18C1: INTERNAL MODE SWITCH C CIRCUIT > CIRCUIT/SYSTEM
DESCRIPTION
The internal mode switch indicates to the transmission control module (TCM) which gear position the
vehicle operator has selected. The internal consists of 5 separate hall effect switches. Each hall effect
switch is supplied a 9 V reference circuit and a signal circuit from the TCM. Each signal circuit for each
gear selector position will have either a voltage reading of 0.70-0.96 V indicting On or 1.68-2.38 V
indicating Off. The voltage values on each internal mode switch circuit will change and are dependent on
the position of the gear selector. The state of each internal mode switch A/B/C/P/S signal circuit is
displayed on the scan tool.

DTC P1839 activates on any of the following:

Internal Mode Switch C Circuit Low Voltage

TCM has detected the internal mode switch C signal circuit voltage is less than 0.7 V, for 1.75 s.

looks like some possible repairs related per service manual:

DIAGNOSTIC INFORMATION AND PROCEDURES > DTC P182F, P1839, P18B7,
P18BC, OR P18C1: INTERNAL MODE SWITCH C CIRCUIT > REPAIR INSTRUCTIONS
Perform the Diagnostic Repair Verification after completing the repair.
Automatic Transmission Fluid, Fluid Pan and/or Filter Replacement
Automatic Transmission Wiring Harness Replacement (Electrical Connector Passage Sleeve)
Manual Shift Shaft Position Switch Replacement
Transmission Control Wiring Harness Replacement
Perform the Transmission Service Fast Learn Procedure following all transmission related repairs.
Refer to K71 Transmission Control Module: Programming and Setup
Old 09-02-2019, 08:10 PM   #5
driven2exceSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverTaco07 View Post
Here are related DTC codes to P1839:
Thank you Sir!! Great info... clearly something over my head!! But info to bring forth for sure! And ultimately to have as a reference through the process as the local mechanics back home go at it. Seriously I thank you for your time AND efforts!! MUCH appreciated
Old 09-02-2019, 08:14 PM   #6
DenverTaco07

my pleasure, good luck, hope its something easy.
Old 09-03-2019, 09:09 AM   #7
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
This sounds like an electrical connection problem with either the wiring to the transmission mode switches or the switches themselves. Based on the description above, it sounds like you might need to drop the pan to get to some of this.
Anything happen recently like detailing the engine bay or driving through deep water?
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 04:56 PM   #8
driven2exceSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctrlz View Post
Anything happen recently like detailing the engine bay or driving through deep water?
Negative and negative. Back in Feb/March it got a fluid change and was overfilled that sprayed the underneath a bit, plus the multi cans of brake fluid used by the second dealers mechanic fixing the first dealers overfill. But has run fine since, till present problem began. Thanks
Old 09-05-2019, 10:45 AM   #9
driven2exceSS

Well my "hometown" dealer could not schedule me in till middle of next week, so car sits at another dealer that I found with availability, now car is waiting for part(s) to be overnighted. Looks like it will be out of pocket too... Guess that is no real surprise with my mods. Cha-ching cha-ching :( Positive forward outlook is that the car hopefully gets fixed appropriately, and this coming Mon/Tues at the Glen is more fun than this past Mon/Tues!!!
Old 09-05-2019, 12:41 PM   #10
TheRealJA105

Drives: 2013 C6Z06
Your "limp mode" must be different than mine. When mine goes into "Reduced Engine Power" it literally will barely make it up out of the boot. It would take 2 minutes to wind out to 4k rpm. Also mine never throws a code, just the Reduced Engine Power on the screen.
TheRealJA105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 01:09 PM   #11
driven2exceSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJA105 View Post
Your "limp mode" must be different than mine. When mine goes into "Reduced Engine Power" it literally will barely make it up out of the boot. It would take 2 minutes to wind out to 4k rpm. Also mine never throws a code, just the Reduced Engine Power on the screen.
Yeah it otherwise drove "fine" up to 4,000rpm then hit the rev limiter. I say "fine" because I believe I noticed a lil change in performance and sound, but didn't totally fall on its face till hitting the rev limiter. So whatever the technical term is. I've seen the "Reduced Engine Power" in action too, but not with this issue...
Old 09-05-2019, 01:52 PM   #12
TheRealJA105

Drives: 2013 C6Z06
My car is at my dealer right now for 2 electrical bulletins I found that hopefully may be causing my issue. As my tach starts going crazy when getting hot before my reduced engine power.
PIC6299A: Intermittent Tachometer Fluctuation While Driving
#17457: Service Update - Instrument Panel Gauges Flutter, Multiple DTCs Set
TheRealJA105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 02:01 PM   #13
driven2exceSS

Oh that does sound like a different issue no doubt. I certainly hope the dealers pull through on both yours and my fixes!!
Old 09-06-2019, 05:25 PM   #14
driven2exceSS

Well it cost a pretty penny out of pocket, but they replaced the Manual Shift Shaft Position Switch. I also had them change the filter and also made sure they added the "New" Mobil1 transmission oil for good measure. The test will come on Mon/Tues.... 16,900miles
Attached Images