Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Nav, Radar, Electronics

AWE Tuning

Old 10-12-2018, 02:32 AM   #1
dgriff14
waddupdgriff

Drives: Supercharged 2016 2LT RS
Sub thump harness confusion...help!

Sooo, I just ordered the Bose amp harness from sub thump and noticed it said this in the description:

“Note: New Camaros do Not provide 12v switched power in the trunk for switching on aftermarket amplifiers. Therefore no switched power is present on the harness. Also note that Bose systems have digital inputs from the radio to the amp, which cannot be interecepted for adding amplifiers. Therefore our harness borrows the signal 'after' the amp, which is a high power signal--hence no rca jacks.
Therefore, you will need to use an amp with signal sensing high level input capabilities OR a signal processor with signal sensing input to trigger on your amp. Also we have found that only the Front channels are strong enough to trigger on an amp”

I really just need to know what else do I need to wire my other amp (Boss AR2000M) and 15” Sub (whenever I figure out how to fit it lol). I’m not familiar with what switched power is and couldn’t seem to figure it out. I also don’t know how to make my rca jacks connect to “high power signals.”

I really appreciate any help y’all can offer!
• Edelbrock E-Force Stage 1 Supercharger • Custom tune by Overkill Motorsports • AFE Momentum GT Pro Dry Cold Air Intake • MBRP SS Cat Back Exhaust • iROC-z Wheels • Nitto NT555 G2 Tires (275 fronts, 305 rears)
dgriff14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 07:51 AM   #2
lDejavul

Drives: Camaro SS
If I were you I would return the harness and get the new AmpPRO 4 unit. The factory amp is tuned for the speakers already in the car. If you want full range for the sub you want that unit. I just installed it yesterday and its amazing. Really brings the radio to life and you can use RCAs to your sub.

https://pac-audio.com/catalog/amppro...faces/ap4-gm61

Also understand that the amp you have is severely over rated for watts. It really puts out around 200 watts rms at 2 ohms. So most likely you will be underpowering a 15" sub.
Dual Mode Exhaust
MRC
Splash Guards

1G1FG1R74G0124089
lDejavul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 10:53 AM   #3
dgriff14
waddupdgriff

Drives: Supercharged 2016 2LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by lDejavul View Post
If I were you I would return the harness and get the new AmpPRO 4 unit. The factory amp is tuned for the speakers already in the car. If you want full range for the sub you want that unit. I just installed it yesterday and its amazing. Really brings the radio to life and you can use RCAs to your sub.

Also understand that the amp you have is severely over rated for watts. It really puts out around 200 watts rms at 2 ohms. So most likely you will be underpowering a 15" sub.
Thank you so much! I’m gonna do this instead and search for a better amp. I appreciate the fast and thorough response as well!
• Edelbrock E-Force Stage 1 Supercharger • Custom tune by Overkill Motorsports • AFE Momentum GT Pro Dry Cold Air Intake • MBRP SS Cat Back Exhaust • iROC-z Wheels • Nitto NT555 G2 Tires (275 fronts, 305 rears)
dgriff14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 07:06 PM   #4
Mighunter

Drives: 2017 Summit White 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by lDejavul View Post

That amp pro unit is cool. For the Camaro, is that installed behind the head unit or in the trun?
Mighunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 08:17 PM   #5
Booher

Drives: 2019 zl1 6 speed
What you have is really easy and I'd suggest to just use what you have, just my .02 though. The harness has wires off of it that are tapped onto your speaker wires already. Run one pair of them to a dsp (digital sound processor), I forgot the brand but it's like $60 or so. The dsp converts your speaker wire signal into a rca jack, which plugs into a normal amp. The remote power wire is a piece of cake as well, buy the appropriate add a fuse, and run a wire to the dsp and jump out of that to your amp that you are adding, or vice versa. The fuse box is where the spare tire would sit. Side note, there is two wire pins that you should pull out of one of your bose amp plugs. One is for the door mics and I cant remember what the other one is, but if you just unplug the connector you loose your turn signal sounds, so have to keep two of them on the connector. Sounds scary, but honestly, it really isnt. Check up this section, theres a guy on here that goes through all of that with pictures and such. Anyways, best of luck whichever way you go.
Booher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 10:52 AM   #6
lDejavul

Drives: Camaro SS
I would recommend the PAC kit for anyone adding a sub. It really makes a huge difference. Night and day. I have to relisten to all my music because it all sounds so much better with the untouch signal. The unit installs behind the glovebox. There is a panel under the glovebox with 4 screws I believe that you drop and its sitting sideways on the right hand side. When you drop it you will have your hmi and sat box on the panel that will be sitting flat.
Dual Mode Exhaust
MRC
Splash Guards

1G1FG1R74G0124089
lDejavul is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
amp, harness, sound, thump