Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 01-07-2019, 09:31 PM   #1
sadboyleo

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1LT
Question Supercharger for the V6 engine

I was wondering if there was a good reliable supercharger for the V6 camaro. Looking to get some power to my maro. I've looked everywhere and I can't seem to find one for the LGX engine. If there is none what are some other options I could put on my car to add some easy power?
sadboyleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 09:57 PM   #2
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Overkill supercharger: http://getoverkilled.ca/2016camarosupercharger.html

Coming soon from Edelbrock: https://www.phastekperformance.com/E...rock-15995.htm

These are the only two for the LGX that I know about. They add power, but torque will still be lower than with a V8. I'm pretty sure you can go extremes in rebuilding the engine, but having talked to several pros, the consensus is that the performance/price ratio for LGX supercharging---and more than trivial performance increases in general---is unfortunately low.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 10:11 PM   #3
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

Drives: 2017 NGM I4 1LT Coupe
Best person to ask on here is Dustya I'm sure there are others but he's done more racing with his then anyone that regularly posts on here.

MY 2017 I4 CAMARO BUILD JOURNAL | YOUTUBE | INSTAGRAM | 316RWHP - 385 RWTQ HPTUNERS DYNO TUNE | 12.693s @ 105MPH 1/4 Mile
Evil-Bee-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 10:55 PM   #4
sadboyleo

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post
Overkill supercharger: http://getoverkilled.ca/2016camarosupercharger.html

Coming soon from Edelbrock: https://www.phastekperformance.com/E...rock-15995.htm

These are the only two for the LGX that I know about. They add power, but torque will still be lower than with a V8. I'm pretty sure you can go extremes in rebuilding the engine, but having talked to several pros, the consensus is that the performance/price ratio for LGX supercharging---and more than trivial performance increases in general---is unfortunately low.

Yeah I saw the overkill one but I want a blower on top not just a turbo
sadboyleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 09:22 AM   #5
JakeF_RS

Drives: Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadboyleo View Post
Yeah I saw the overkill one but I want a blower on top not just a turbo
Overkill is a supercharger too, just a different style. I think you’d be better off going with the Overkill one, the Edelbrock is rumored to be over 7 grand and doesn’t come with any extra cooling. Plus tuning will void your warranty with the Edelbrock.
JakeF_RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 11:24 AM   #6
Dustya

Drives: Overkill Supercharged 2016 CamaroV6
hey sadboyleo, Awesome to see you are interested in boosting your gen6 v6!!!

The edelbrock sure seems enticing huh ? however for the quoted $7300 dollars they are charging for the kit you can get the overkill stage 2 kit and be set for even more power down the road.

I do alot of product evaluation and consumer recommendations I am very picky when I highly rate something or when something exceeds my expectations so do not think I am embellishing on the following remarks.. This is over 30k miles of evaluations over 40 dyno pulls and different fuel types different pulleys and now even different intercoolers I have tested with the overkill kit...

So lets talk about the edlebrock kit they make a great product they always have I am sure it will be reliable but think about future proofing think about community customer support and things like that when making your large purchase. edelbrock has not even released their kit yet, There are not upgrade paths, It comes with a canned tune any further tuning you will have to pay additional for which = hp tuner license fees and whatever fees the dyno/tuner shop is going to charge you should you want to try to take it to the next level. Okay so maybe they will come out with a smaller top pulley and a tune to fit it.. but when ? it took them 3 years to come out with the 6th gen v6 kit .. well its not out yet. I am not bashing the product but I do not see any advantages to it when you have the Overkill kit available and heres is why.

The Overkill kit has been out for almost 3 years the development for it spans back many more from the 5th gen v6 engines. Its always been the same guys the same tuner and the same support. You have multiple stages available and you have upgrade paths from there. Free re-tunes on future upgrades is HUGE! William Rishworth and Tracy Lewis are a great team and Tracy has done more v6 supercharger installs then probably anyone else combined. However if you want to give it a go yourself it can be done. You get a personalized tune for your car.. This is important not all engines are the same. A canned tune is one meant to suit all cars so is more of a undertune one size fits all but isnt the perfect fit. You will know your tune was meant for your car since you will be dealing with Will first hand who tunes 100's of GM v6 cars if not thousands.

When you compare the 2 kits there is no advantage of the Roots style Edelbrock kits its more money less power less support less community ... You get a different noise and a different look in the engine bay.

If you are sold on top mount kit you can also contact Tracy Lewis on that as well he does Top mount kits for the v6 camaros.

And if your curious I am currently pushing over 460whp with the record 1/4 mile time of 11.5@123 mph with 0 internal engine work.. I just installed new rear gears and a bigger intercooler and hoping with the cold temps to be low 11s and maybe just maybe if the worlds align get a 10 run.. There is no doing this with the edelbrock kit.

and remember Tracy and Will are not done developing there is other things in the works to go along with the overkill kit like port injection fueling and torque converters no one else is doing this stuff for us.. So not only by going with overkill are you getting a reliable kit you are also helping fund and build the future modding path for our cars!

I hope you find this information helpful and if you are serious about boosting do not hesitate to ask me anything. We have some great conversations over in the gen 6 v6 performance group

come join us where you can talk with all the boosted gen 6 v6 guys like Storm , Davis , And myself you can talk directly with Will and Tracy if you have questions they love answering over there!! here is the link we would love to have you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/258745904565294/

Follow me on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/hyperhawkcamaro/
Youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHR...-ilSpV3gMQnTuA

Supercharged with Overkill Superchargers http://www.v6superchargers.com
Dustya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 11:10 PM   #7
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustya View Post
hey sadboyleo, Awesome to see you are interested in boosting your gen6 v6!!!

The edelbrock sure seems enticing huh ? however for the quoted $7300 dollars they are charging for the kit you can get the overkill stage 2 kit and be set for even more power down the road.

I do alot of product evaluation and consumer recommendations I am very picky when I highly rate something or when something exceeds my expectations so do not think I am embellishing on the following remarks.. This is over 30k miles of evaluations over 40 dyno pulls and different fuel types different pulleys and now even different intercoolers I have tested with the overkill kit...

So lets talk about the edlebrock kit they make a great product they always have I am sure it will be reliable but think about future proofing think about community customer support and things like that when making your large purchase. edelbrock has not even released their kit yet, There are not upgrade paths, It comes with a canned tune any further tuning you will have to pay additional for which = hp tuner license fees and whatever fees the dyno/tuner shop is going to charge you should you want to try to take it to the next level. Okay so maybe they will come out with a smaller top pulley and a tune to fit it.. but when ? it took them 3 years to come out with the 6th gen v6 kit .. well its not out yet. I am not bashing the product but I do not see any advantages to it when you have the Overkill kit available and heres is why.

The Overkill kit has been out for almost 3 years the development for it spans back many more from the 5th gen v6 engines. Its always been the same guys the same tuner and the same support. You have multiple stages available and you have upgrade paths from there. Free re-tunes on future upgrades is HUGE! William Rishworth and Tracy Lewis are a great team and Tracy has done more v6 supercharger installs then probably anyone else combined. However if you want to give it a go yourself it can be done. You get a personalized tune for your car.. This is important not all engines are the same. A canned tune is one meant to suit all cars so is more of a undertune one size fits all but isnt the perfect fit. You will know your tune was meant for your car since you will be dealing with Will first hand who tunes 100's of GM v6 cars if not thousands.

When you compare the 2 kits there is no advantage of the Roots style Edelbrock kits its more money less power less support less community ... You get a different noise and a different look in the engine bay.

If you are sold on top mount kit you can also contact Tracy Lewis on that as well he does Top mount kits for the v6 camaros.

And if your curious I am currently pushing over 460whp with the record 1/4 mile time of 11.5@123 mph with 0 internal engine work.. I just installed new rear gears and a bigger intercooler and hoping with the cold temps to be low 11s and maybe just maybe if the worlds align get a 10 run.. There is no doing this with the edelbrock kit.

and remember Tracy and Will are not done developing there is other things in the works to go along with the overkill kit like port injection fueling and torque converters no one else is doing this stuff for us.. So not only by going with overkill are you getting a reliable kit you are also helping fund and build the future modding path for our cars!

I hope you find this information helpful and if you are serious about boosting do not hesitate to ask me anything. We have some great conversations over in the gen 6 v6 performance group

come join us where you can talk with all the boosted gen 6 v6 guys like Storm , Davis , And myself you can talk directly with Will and Tracy if you have questions they love answering over there!! here is the link we would love to have you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/258745904565294/
So not to punch a dead horse. When you say thy have extensive work in the 5th Gen Supercharger field I really hope your not talking about the dozens of failed or never delivered RXP Kits. To my knowledge the only reliable delivered S/C kit was the IPF kit aside from a ton of development releases from RX early on. I'm assuming Tracey is doing the tuning and will the editing and development with some outsourced help. I wanna see Edelbrock do great things the only way the LGX will get better is if there is competition. The V8 guys have that luxury of dozens upon dozens of companies the V6 looks to have very few options even the I4 is generally a Frankenstein build model between different companies on 95% of the cars modded.

MY 2017 I4 CAMARO BUILD JOURNAL | YOUTUBE | INSTAGRAM | 316RWHP - 385 RWTQ HPTUNERS DYNO TUNE | 12.693s @ 105MPH 1/4 Mile
Old 01-09-2019, 10:11 AM   #8
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
the roots style kit's primary advantage is that it has the potential to not require alteration of the stock intake airbox and MAF sensor. Both are usually requirements for carb EO and even if such a thing is never given, it makes swapping back to stock simpler to make the emissions testing people happy for visual inspection.

That's really the only benefit i can think of. Certainly isn't worth 7k for though. It's hard enough to justify 6k for overkill (pun intended) performance in a car that's already faster accelerating than literally _EVERYONE_ at every stupid stop light i'm forced to be behind another car at. There's just no real world example where the car is deficient in speed or acceleration.

So i keep bouncing back and forth between wanting the overkill supercharger kit and thinking about if that money would be better spent upgrading something else. Though, the options are slim.
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 10:17 AM   #9
Dustya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil-Bee-NH View Post
So not to punch a dead horse. When you say thy have extensive work in the 5th Gen Supercharger field I really hope your not talking about the dozens of failed or never delivered RXP Kits. To my knowledge the only reliable delivered S/C kit was the IPF kit aside from a ton of development releases from RX early on. I'm assuming Tracey is doing the tuning and will the editing and development with some outsourced help. I wanna see Edelbrock do great things the only way the LGX will get better is if there is competition. The V8 guys have that luxury of dozens upon dozens of companies the V6 looks to have very few options even the I4 is generally a Frankenstein build model between different companies on 95% of the cars modded.
Evil, You are definitely getting some companies mixed up here, RXP is not affiliated with Overkill/RX or IPF in anyway. Will is the tuning genius, Tracy is Designer Manufacturer. IPF went out of business with all the issues they had The Overkill kits have always shipped and been around for years I have never heard of anyone not getting a kit. The overkill kit also comes complete with crankcase evacuation system. And more options are being worked on developed and released pretty regularly. Like the Direct Port Fueling system and Fuel Lobe cam for LFX/LLT and The New stall Converter that will eliminate the A8 shudder issues on the gen 6 as well as Direct Port Fueling for the gen 6.

If the whole issue is confusing between RX and RXP just know if you are getting a catch can from Tracy Lewis you are getting the right product..

Also I am not against the edelbrock product I am excited to see another kit come to market however I feel they did not do their research - a lower performing kit for a higher price point .. And its not like its big brother kit where you get warranty either so you cant justify the extra price really anywhere.

Old 01-09-2019, 10:27 AM   #10
Dustya

Quote:
Originally Posted by cellsafemode View Post
the roots style kit's primary advantage is that it has the potential to not require alteration of the stock intake airbox and MAF sensor. Both are usually requirements for carb EO and even if such a thing is never given, it makes swapping back to stock simpler to make the emissions testing people happy for visual inspection.

That's really the only benefit i can think of. Certainly isn't worth 7k for though. It's hard enough to justify 6k for overkill (pun intended) performance in a car that's already faster accelerating than literally _EVERYONE_ at every stupid stop light i'm forced to be behind another car at. There's just no real world example where the car is deficient in speed or acceleration.

So i keep bouncing back and forth between wanting the overkill supercharger kit and thinking about if that money would be better spent upgrading something else. Though, the options are slim.
Yeah from the specs edelbrock has released the v6 kit with not be 50 state carb nor will it contain any sort of warranty. I feel like im bashing the kit I really am not against it even if it seems that way.. I do like your take on the whole easier to go back to stock that is one small advantage.

Old 01-09-2019, 10:32 AM   #11
RxSummit16

Drives: 2016 Summit White Camaro LT2 RS
Any timeline for new TC?

Quote:
Evil, You are definitely getting some companies mixed up here, RXP is not affiliated with Overkill/RX or IPF in anyway. Will is the tuning genius, Tracy is Designer Manufacturer. IPF went out of business with all the issues they had The Overkill kits have always shipped and been around for years I have never heard of anyone not getting a kit. The overkill kit also comes complete with crankcase evacuation system. And more options are being worked on developed and released pretty regularly. Like the Direct Port Fueling system and Fuel Lobe cam for LFX/LLT and The New stall Converter that will eliminate the A8 shudder issues on the gen 6 as well as Direct Port Fueling for the gen 6.

If the whole issue is confusing between RX and RXP just know if you are getting a catch can from Tracy Lewis you are getting the right product..

Also I am not against the edelbrock product I am excited to see another kit come to market however I feel they did not do their research - a lower performing kit for a higher price point .. And its not like its big brother kit where you get warranty either so you cant justify the extra price really anywhere.
Old 01-09-2019, 10:34 AM   #12
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

Quote:

It's not that i'm trying to confuse it but the guy in question from RXP went and changed names and shops like 3 or 4x. He was also out of florida so you can understand my skepticism. I'm happy you've had zero issues with Overkill and I hope to god Edelbrock intends to do more.

Old 01-09-2019, 12:38 PM   #13
Dustya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil-Bee-NH View Post
It's not that i'm trying to confuse it but the guy in question from RXP went and changed names and shops like 3 or 4x. He was also out of florida so you can understand my skepticism. I'm happy you've had zero issues with Overkill and I hope to god Edelbrock intends to do more.
Yes you are speaking of Tracy Lewis However the happenings between him and dealing with the whole RXP RX debacle has absolutely nothing to do with the quality and reliability of the Overkill kit. These are completely different things and should not be associated with each other. As long as I have known tracy 2 years now he has been at the same shop under the same name and building the same products. There are 2 sites that are genuine and you know you are getting the genuine products from and those sites are

rxcatchcans.com and v6superchargers.com unless noted personally by Tracy Lewis Or William Rishworth I would not purchase from any other site.

I am not sponsored nor do I owe anyone any favors I only speak highly of the kit because it is a quality product that I have had on my car since july of 17 with 30k miles on it. And Will and Tracy have been nothing but awesome for supporting it.

Old 01-09-2019, 07:38 PM   #14
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

Yep i only bring up RXP, RX so people don't get manhandled by others i know will is a good guy. Just gotta be careful because we've had a few 5th gen nightmares try relaunching into the 6th gen.

Tags
supercharger