Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 10-24-2015, 10:00 PM   #1
Bongos2U

Drives: Hopefully 6th gen Camaro
RWD Chassis

There seems to be some insinuation that the Alpha platform is sub-par because it is shared with other vehicles. Camaro does not have it's own RWD chassis like the Mustang.

The quick explanation for this seems to be simple. How many cars does Ford / Lincoln have that are RWD? One - the Mustang. So of course it will have it's own RWD platform!!

BTW...Is there a name for the Mustang RWD platform, or is it just "Mustang Chassis"? They seem to have some cool names for their engines (Coyote, Voodoo).
Bongos2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 10:46 PM   #2
Iroc_Z28

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bongos2U View Post
BTW...Is there a name for the Mustang RWD platform, or is it just "Mustang Chassis"? They seem to have some cool names for their engines (Coyote, Voodoo).
s550 is what they call their platform
Old 10-24-2015, 11:33 PM   #3
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
There seems to be some insinuation that the Alpha platform is sub-par because it is shared with other vehicles. Camaro does not have it's own RWD chassis like the Mustang.
Says who ... Mustang fans? I bet I can even name the forum (and even the specific forum member) that came up with that idea.

Thus far, every single review that I have seen of an Alpha based car (ATS, CTS & now Camaro) has said that the chassis is excellent. There might be other gripes to be made about the car, but the underlying chassis has gotten nothing but praise.

By building multiple similar cars off of a single platform, you get more value for your R&D dollar. That lets you either a) deliver good quality for less cost
or b) deliver excellence for the same cost. Thats why the practice is so common in the auto industry.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 05:14 PM   #4
SuperSound

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:

The quick explanation for this seems to be simple. How many cars does Ford / Lincoln have that are RWD? One - the Mustang. So of course it will have it's own RWD platform!!
I think the answer lies here, an Ecoboost PP turned a slower time than a FWD GTI with 100 less HP at VIR. If that doesn't show a serious chassis issue I don't know what does. Not to even mention the GTPP compared to the 6th gen SS.

"Voices in your head are not considered insider information."

3800 Status - 6/16/16 (Built!)
6000 status - 6/29/16 (Delivered!)
SuperSound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 07:41 PM   #5
Tr6
The Dogfather

Drives: #1 off the line for a customer. '16
Alpha platform is godly. Allows BEASTS to be born.
#33 off the line #1 order for Customer.
Build thread HERE!
Story of my delivery HERE!
Tr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 08:16 PM   #6
GTIanZ28

Drives: 2016 V6 RS Camaro 6MT
Something I'm not understanding here. What FWD car is using the alpha platform?

Cadillac ATS/CTS and the camaro are all RWD. The ATS and CTS have AWD options.

If there is a FWD car using this chassis that simply bolsters how good the chassis is.

The ATS and now the camaro are being heaped with praise and lauded for their handling characteristics. The platform is very stiff, light weight, and can handle multiple engines including a 640hp supercharged V8.

To imply that there is something wrong or something negative about platform sharing seems misguided and likely grasping at straws looking for something to complain about.

This is becoming very common for manufacturers. VW/Audi uses it's MQB architecture on a lot of their cars and Even SUV's.
Old 10-25-2015, 08:52 PM   #7
Bongos2U

Alpha is strictly a RWD platform. I heard that the new Lincoln Continental that's coming out in a couple of years will be FWD/AWD. Sounds like this car would have been perfect for the RWD S550 platform.
Old 10-25-2015, 09:58 PM   #8
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTIanZ28 View Post
Something I'm not understanding here. What FWD car is using the alpha platform?

Cadillac ATS/CTS and the camaro are all RWD. The ATS and CTS have AWD options.

If there is a FWD car using this chassis that simply bolsters how good the chassis is.

The ATS and now the camaro are being heaped with praise and lauded for their handling characteristics. The platform is very stiff, light weight, and can handle multiple engines including a 640hp supercharged V8.

To imply that there is something wrong or something negative about platform sharing seems misguided and likely grasping at straws looking for something to complain about.

This is becoming very common for manufacturers. VW/Audi uses it's MQB architecture on a lot of their cars and Even SUV's.
Something I'm not understanding is where you get the idea that people think there is a FWD car on the Alpha platform.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......

Camaro Fest sub-forum
Old 10-25-2015, 10:04 PM   #9
SuperSound

Quote:
Alpha is strictly a RWD platform. I heard that the new Lincoln Continental that's coming out in a couple of years will be FWD/AWD. Sounds like this car would have been perfect for the RWD S550 platform.
What does a FWD/AWD Lincoln have to do with the Mustang? The Taurus is RWD/AWD and isn't even related to it

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Old 10-25-2015, 11:59 PM   #10
Bongos2U

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSound View Post
What does a FWD/AWD Lincoln have to do with the Mustang? The Taurus is RWD/AWD and isn't even related to it

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
The Taurus is FWD/AWD. I believe the Continental was RWD in it's glory days ? Would be nice to send it back to it's roots as a RWD vehicle (sharing the S550 RWD platform with it).
Old 10-26-2015, 09:56 AM   #11
SuperSound

Quote:
The Taurus is FWD/AWD. I believe the Continental was RWD in it's glory days ? Would be nice to send it back to it's roots as a RWD vehicle (sharing the S550 RWD platform with it).
I was under the impression it was RWD/AWD because I know the police version is RWD. But guess like the Malibu, this only for police vehicles. If they bring back a RWD Continental, it would make a good choice for a police version too, so maybe they will do it. More likely it will be just like the Taurus and be FWD/AWD.

Old 10-26-2015, 10:03 AM   #12
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Quote:
I was under the impression it was RWD/AWD because I know the police version is RWD. But guess like the Malibu, this only for police vehicles. If they bring back a RWD Continental, it would make a good choice for a police version too, so maybe they will do it. More likely it will be just like the Taurus and be FWD/AWD.
The Police Interceptor Sedan is FWD/AWD just like the regular Taurus

http://www.ford.com/fordpoliceinterc.../chassisspecs/

Camaro Fest sub-forum
Old 10-26-2015, 10:09 AM   #13
SuperSound

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
The Police Interceptor Sedan is FWD/AWD just like the regular Taurus

http://www.ford.com/fordpoliceinterc.../chassisspecs/
Well there you go, don't ever listen to cops because they don't know what they are talking about lol. Guys told me it was RWD. Betting they had the turbo V6 with AWD and just didn't realize it was AWD. All of them say the love it. What's funny is I have heard they hate the Malibu's.

Old 10-26-2015, 10:48 AM   #14
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Quote:
Well there you go, don't ever listen to cops because they don't know what they are talking about lol. Guys told me it was RWD. Betting they had the turbo V6 with AWD and just didn't realize it was AWD. All of them say the love it. What's funny is I have heard they hate the Malibu's.
Umm ... there isn't a police Malibu either. For years GM's been selling Impalas to cops, and fairly recently they've also offered up the rwd Caprice PPV (a larger version of the SS Sedan). But I don't recall there being a Malibu for police, not recently at least. Though maybe their department is special & gets to use Malibus and RWD Tauruses (Tauri?)

Camaro Fest sub-forum