Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro Convertible

AWE Tuning

Old 11-29-2020, 10:06 AM   #1
Breadzell

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS Convertible
Dash Cams for Verts

What’s everyone using for a dash cam on their convertibles? I’m looking for something that can be hard wired in any suggestions?
Breadzell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 12:10 PM   #2
GroundhogSS

Drives: '17 2SS convertible'20 Yukon Denali
I have a Thinkware F750 with a rear cam included. I think that model has been replaced with Q800 pro. Here's a link to their sale. I've been very satisfied with mine. I was able to provide a video to one of the locak police departments of a road rage incident where a guy in a Kia rammed the back of a Mustang on purpose, twice.

https://us.thinkware.com/

The problem with the convertible is where to attach the rear cam, since it is usually stuck to the rear window. I had to make one that would be able to view out the back window and clear the top when it was going up and down. The image on your phone or computer looks better than the last photo. That was just a screen save.

Name:  20180802_125542.jpg
Views: 600
Size:  195.5 KB

Name:  20180802_125600.jpg
Views: 569
Size:  174.2 KB

Name:  20180802_125611.jpg
Views: 534
Size:  138.4 KB

Name:  20180802_130056.jpg
Views: 527
Size:  118.5 KB

Name:  20180802_164823.jpg
Views: 528
Size:  324.9 KB

Delivered: 08/15/2016

#TeamBeckyD

Last edited by GroundhogSS; 11-29-2020 at 09:38 PM.
GroundhogSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 07:33 PM   #3
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
I have a similar setup to @GroundhogSS. I started with a Thinkware F750 but upgraded the cameras last year to a Thinkware Q800 and put the F750 in my Cadillac SRX.

My rear camera bracket setup is lower so it’s more hidden, but trades off rear camera range.
Attached Images

A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 07:04 AM   #4
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
I've been running a Viofo A119 camera in my truck for something like four years or so. I've been happy with how it works and the quality of the image. They've released at least a couple of replacements for that camera that get at least as good of ratings and I'm likely going to use a camera from them when spring rolls around.
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 07:43 AM   #5
Jaxcam02

Drives: 2017 Silverado/2017 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ember1205 View Post
I've been running a Viofo A119 camera in my truck for something like four years or so. I've been happy with how it works and the quality of the image. They've released at least a couple of replacements for that camera that get at least as good of ratings and I'm likely going to use a camera from them when spring rolls around.
Yea I love my viofo's. I have the a129 in my truck and the 4k a129 in the camaro. I had Gen5DIY make me a custom harness that plugs into the overhead console so I didn't have to try to wire in 15 feet of cable and find a spot to plug in to. The Gen5DIY harness they made me uses the onstar power in the overhead for power.

The viofo's usually come with the GPS module for location and speed overlay on the image, has wifi connection so you can download the videos straight to your phone without having to remove the memory card and are relatively inexpensive. My viofo in the truck has been in there for 3 years so far and is still working.

The best thing about the viofo is that it attaches to the windshield with 3m tape and not a suction cup with a weak arm. As a result, the video feed doesn't vibrate and won't move in an accident.

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=583468

This is a clip from the 4k a129. Keep in mind it is edited for the internet so its not the original resolution but it give you an idea of its function.
https://rumble.com/vb6a21-zl1-camaro...s-rotofab.html
Old 11-30-2020, 07:50 AM   #6
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxcam02 View Post
Yea I love my viofo's. I have the a129 in my truck and the 4k a129 in the camaro. I had Gen5DIY make me a custom harness that plugs into the overhead console so I didn't have to try to wire in 15 feet of cable and find a spot to plug in to. The Gen5DIY harness they made me uses the onstar power in the overhead for power.

The best thing about the viofo is that it attaches to the windshield with 3m tape and not a suction cup with a weak arm. As a result, the video feed doesn't vibrate and won't move in an accident.

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=583468

This is a clip from the 4k a129. Keep in mind it is edited for the internet so its not the original resolution but it give you an idea of its function.
https://rumble.com/vb6a21-zl1-camaro...s-rotofab.html
It appears that you have a GPS module that the camera is attached to instead of direct-attach to the windshield? That's how my camera is mounted. There's a weakness in those modules in that they break down electrically over time because they get too hot. What I've learned is that you can still have the GPS input even if you power the camera directly (instead of powering the GPS block and letting power pass through to the camera). It's more reliable overall that way and I've had to switch to powering the camera directly because the power output from the GPS module died as a result of the weakness.
Old 11-30-2020, 07:53 AM   #7
Jaxcam02

Quote:
It appears that you have a GPS module that the camera is attached to instead of direct-attach to the windshield? That's how my camera is mounted. There's a weakness in those modules in that they break down electrically over time because they get too hot. What I've learned is that you can still have the GPS input even if you power the camera directly (instead of powering the GPS block and letting power pass through to the camera). It's more reliable overall that way and I've had to switch to powering the camera directly because the power output from the GPS module died as a result of the weakness.
Honestly, that viewpoint is a little overblown and probably much rarer than what the internet says. I live in the blistering heat of florida and the truck stays outside 24/7 and I have never had an issue with the GPS module powering the camera, 3 years running. For the camaro's camera, its a garage queen so I have no worries about that.
Old 11-30-2020, 08:00 AM   #8
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxcam02 View Post
Honestly, that viewpoint is a little overblown and probably much rarer than what the internet says. I live in the blistering heat of florida and the truck stays outside 24/7 and I have never had an issue with the GPS module powering the camera, 3 years running. For the camaro's camera, its a garage queen so I have no worries about that.
Dunno. I know it happened to me after about three years (ish) of use in the truck. Truck isn't garaged.
Old 11-30-2020, 08:13 AM   #9
Jaxcam02

Quote:
Dunno. I know it happened to me after about three years (ish) of use in the truck. Truck isn't garaged.
Yea thats crazy considering your up in the frosty NE area. Maybe the cold impacts it more than heat? Or maybe its the extreme temperature fluctuations between seasons and those transitional days which would make sense if the module goes from freezing temps over night to relatively hot sitting in the afternoon sun. That thermal expansion between temps maybe killed yours quicker.
Old 11-30-2020, 12:40 PM   #10
joekd

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS vert
I have a forward only dash cam that I installed right under the rearview mirror, tucked right up there so it has a perfect view of the road

Also I used one of these for power, worlds easier then hard wiring and has a setting to turn off power after 5 minutes of key off

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Used same on on my wife's caddy and it really makes the install simple. On the Camaro I just removed the 2 screws under the drivers sun visor, pulled off the a pillar and hid the cord all the way down to the OBD port, took all of 10 minutes to complete.
joekd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 06:10 AM   #11
xandee

Drives: 2018 camaro 2LT
Thumbs up

f800 pro f+r is what i use. very easy to install.
https://www.shopchevyparts.com/elect...-92303676.html
xandee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 06:30 AM   #12
Weege

Drives: 2017 2SS convertible M6, NPP, MRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by xandee View Post
f800 pro f+r is what i use. very easy to install.
https://www.shopchevyparts.com/elect...-92303676.html
Is your Camaro a convertible? If so, how did you mount the rear camera?
No atmosphere.
Weege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 09:29 AM   #13
Chutzpah

Drives: Wild Cherry LT1
For my camera install, I bought a Goluk camera (not expensive or fancy, but works for me). It’s front facing and came with a long USB power cord.

I lifted the rear console (remove two small hidden screws) to view electronics / wiring etc. underneath, drilled a small hole into the armrest storage, pulled the small connector side through from the armrest side and ran under console and footwell, removed the two hidden screws under visor, pulled out pillar a bit, ran cord to camera. Installed finishing rubber grommet around small drilled hole, plugged into USB port. Took me a couple hours (if I had to do again, maybe 30 minutes)

Last edited by Chutzpah; 12-05-2020 at 09:51 AM. Reason: Added a step..
Chutzpah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 08:26 PM   #14
xandee

Drives: 2018 camaro 2LT
just in front of the rear view mirror where you have the passenger air bag indicator. i dint have the actual pic for it. but attached is what the video looks like with the top up/down
xandee is offline   Reply With Quote