thepsdetails@gmail.com
Beadmkrzl11le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 03:07 PM   #16
1hprush
2018 ZL1 1LE

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterman View Post
There are 4 pinch welds on each side. ZL1AO Lift pads are fixed on the most forward and aft welds. I use a slotted jack pad and hockey puck ($20 for both on Amazon) to lift with a floor jack on the inside pinch welds. The combination clears the rockers without touching. Then lower the lift pads onto jack stands (same rubber pads as yours).

Rocker skirts will flex slightly, but without damage if you 90* your stands. FWIW, I have had mine up on 4 stands at least 5 times without any damage to rockers, or marring the p welds.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodan View Post
Not really.

The slotted puck works for a lift point, but you still need somewhere to put the jack stand. That's what the ZL1 AO parts are for.

I lift the front with the slotted puck, place the front stands, then lift the rear from the crossmember and place the rear stands.

Jack stands should be perpendicular to the pinch weld as mentioned above. The plastic skirt will flex enough to allow this without damage. Just be careful placing them.

Edit: front point on stand:

Thanks guys!
1hprush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 03:26 PM   #17
DaveC113

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vtor_ZL1 View Post
Top of most jackstands is made for frame rail trucks/cars from 30+ years ago when body on frame was go to constructions method.

We need a jackstands with slot to align with pinch weld that most unibody cars now have. Maybe time to get welder out n figure out the problem.
I use the ZL1 Lift Points for the floor jack and use a simply modified jackstand right on the pinch welds.

This means I don't need to use the slotted rubber puck to lift with, you need a tall one or a std one + hockey puck and it's a PITA to make sure it's perfectly alighned, and if it's not the result may be the car falling off the jack.

It's took about 2 min w a cutting wheel on a pneumatic die grinder to make the slots on the jackstands as shown, I have 20 y/o Craftsman stands that are similar to what's shown in the pic. The cut is in yellow with a yellow arrow indicating where it's cut.

DaveC113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 11:03 AM   #18
Hellobatman

Drives: 2017 Ford F250, 2019 Lincoln Navi
Hockey puck with edges cut off and the center slotted works very well. Couple bucks a piece at the local rink, done deal!