#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 12-06-2018, 08:03 PM   #29
kttxz06

Drives: '18 Zl1. '18 GT350.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artos View Post
YA know...ever since you started this 1k plus HP deal, I was thinking about how the tranny & rest of the drivetrain was gonna keep up. Pardon the ignorance, but What exactly is the dealer going to do in regards to the tranny with such a monster build??

I'm going to pay for it. Part of the game. If they don't warranty it (chances are they will as I have a connection, but if they don't) I'll just pay for whatever the problem is. I'm actually curious to know what failed. That way I can come back with some data. It's $6900 for a new trans just for those wondering. That's the whole kit and kaboodle.

That would be so messed up if it's just a tuning issue. haha. Talk about lucking out. I'm just trying to decipher what internals could of failed by how the trans is acting. But, I'm tired of wondering about it. I'll find out in a month when they tear it down. They told me it will be 3 weeks b4 they even get to it so.

I just go back to the HP TCM. I was fine up until that point. Once we put in the HP TCM, it all went to shit. So, either it was a tuning issue or the 2 hits on the track that did it in. I have the video of our runs and you can hear the 4th and 5th gear rev out very clearly. 1 2 3 were crisp and sharp. Not sure how to post it on here tho as it's a FB video.
Old 12-06-2018, 08:09 PM   #30
kttxz06

https://www.facebook.com/MStuningTX/...3470824387406/

Tell me if ya'll hear the same thing on the big end. Or am I just imagining things. Cus it sounds like rev out to me. This was the 1st pass off the trailer, no tuning was done. Just what was done the night before. The night b4 we did a 116 race gas tune at 1199 on the dyno. 10.2 at 136. I was so pissed. Logs showed we were around 840 hp on that hit, but my driver told me he felt it slipping up top so. It's whatever. It's done and over with and off to get fixed. I just want to know what cut loose.

Matt was on order from me to send it that day and I expected something to break, but I was thinking the motor, not trans. haha. We got rained out after 2 passes btw. I doubt it would of lasted, but we were gonna full send it that day and go balls out.
Old 12-06-2018, 08:11 PM   #31
Artos

Drives: A10 LT4
Gotcha...don't get the 3-4 week crap, is what it is.

Guess my biggest deal is how much does any tech really know or have any wisdom about our trannys...man, if they can figure it out & our A10's can handle your kinda build?? Impressive.

Best of luck, guess we'll just hurry up & wait.
Artos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 08:17 PM   #32
kttxz06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artos View Post
Gotcha...don't get the 3-4 week crap, is what it is.

Guess my biggest deal is how much does any tech really know or have any wisdom about our trannys...man, if they can figure it out & our A10's can handle your kinda build?? Impressive.

Best of luck, guess we'll just hurry up & wait.

Well, I'm going to assume they don't know anything, but should be able to see the failure once they open it up. I could imagine it's either the TC or clutch packs. Doubt it's the gears.

I just want a new trans in there so I can get the tuning done so I can get back on the streets. I'll never put it on the track until I know we can build the A10 up. They need to start coming out with some upgrades. I personally think the drivetrain can hold. On that 1st pass, we left on 4lbs of boost. Just 4. haha. So, there wasn't much stress put on the car, which is what bothers me a bit. It's not like we hit hard off the line.
Old 12-06-2018, 08:47 PM   #33
GT-ER

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1
Torque converter is possible; absolutely no way it's any of the clutch packs though cause all gears are showing the same symptoms. A ballooned TC might be your issue but if it is, I wouldn't open the tranny unless you have upgrades stated for it.
GT-ER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 09:09 PM   #34
kttxz06

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT-ER View Post
Torque converter is possible; absolutely no way it's any of the clutch packs though cause all gears are showing the same symptoms. A ballooned TC might be your issue but if it is, I wouldn't open the tranny unless you have upgrades stated for it.

There are no upgrades for the Trans. I guess the dealership will eventually find out what it is. It would be great if it's just the TC.
Old 12-06-2018, 09:20 PM   #35
kttxz06

Quote:
Originally Posted by cann1x View Post
I had the same issue. I don't have the same power as you, but i'm 800 wheel. Car had head-jerking shifts and slammed all gears, including manual downshifts. My cousin at the dealer - did a fluid change and a transmission shift relearn via dealer software; completely fixed the issue. Scary to watch; the brake was held down and the transmission engaged and disengaged gears and lunged forward (in drive) intermittently while the relearn is active. I also want to note that the transmission relearn will not mess with the current torque management setting and shift point rpm, as those they can not touch. He said the car sometimes learns bad shift behaviors and ramps up line pressure. I suggest the cheaper alternative first including above, and double checking you are using the correct fluid and making sure the trans is not overfilled or under. happened to me at 1700 miles.

Edit: my buddy with 1040whp had the same issue in 2nd and 3rd and the above method worked for him as well.

I just saw this. Man, this is exactly how my car is acting so if this is what it is, I'm going to be so freaking lucky.
Old 12-06-2018, 09:21 PM   #36
GT-ER

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by kttxz06 View Post
There are no upgrades for the Trans. I guess the dealership will eventually find out what it is. It would be great if it's just the TC.
Either that, or VB issue.
GT-ER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 09:22 PM   #37
kttxz06

The funny thing about these types of threads is we never get any forum sponsors/builders chiming in with any help. They always are quiet. smh.
Old 12-07-2018, 05:39 AM   #38
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by kttxz06 View Post
The funny thing about these types of threads is we never get any forum sponsors/builders chiming in with any help. They always are quiet. smh.
The A10 is rated to 900 ft-lbs. So when it senses 4 digit torque what does it do? Let go to save itself, slip clutches mechanically because it cannot handle it? Probably a little of both if I had to guess.

I don't think there are too many 1000+ builds out there, so probably not a ton of experience with 4 digit power.

Good luck. I hope it's just software like posted above.
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 09:44 AM   #39
BMWM.D.

Drives: ZL1/335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunkk View Post
The A10 is rated to 900 ft-lbs. So when it senses 4 digit torque what does it do? Let go to save itself, slip clutches mechanically because it cannot handle it? Probably a little of both if I had to guess.

I don't think there are too many 1000+ builds out there, so probably not a ton of experience with 4 digit power.

Like I’ve mentioned in a few posts, his transmission had no idea what kind of power it was being fed. With a stock TCM calibration, the torque calculation in the engine tune has to be fudged to even allow full throttle. You’re basically tricking the transmission into thinking it’s getting stock levels of torque. I see that as a big problem in the long term, as it could lead to slippage or even weird things with the trans adaptations as some others mentioned.
BMWM.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 09:53 AM   #40
Hellobatman

Drives: 2017 Ford F250, 2019 Lincoln Navi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunkk View Post

There's quite a few actually, although, none of which we forum members hear from. Good luck OP!
Old 12-07-2018, 10:54 AM   #41
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Drives: Fast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellobatman View Post
There's quite a few actually, although, none of which we forum members hear from. Good luck OP!
This is true. I've noticed this with this ZL1 a LOT more than on previous cars. Kind of like the C6 ZR1 almost a decade ago. Lots on the street rolling big power but not many people talking about it. Now it's starting to come out with 900+ RWHP ZR1s literally everywhere. I think it has something to do with a horribly slow aftermarket support network for the 6th gen ZL1. Leading people to call their favorite HP shops and take care of it on their own.
Can'tHave2MuchHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 10:55 AM   #42
kttxz06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellobatman View Post

Yea, there are a handful for sure. I'd say at least 10 that I know of and nobody's trans has gone, but I think they have also had the TCM tuned. We shall see. If it's just a trans relearn by the dealer, that's great cus I have another HP TCM on it's way so.