#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 10-25-2019, 07:53 PM   #1
BanOne

Drives: 1977 Pontiac Trans Am
Looking at 2018 ZL1 1LE

Guys,

I am looking at purchasing a 2018 ZL1 1LE that has a couple mods on it, kooks long tube headers, a V-max TB, and a tune amoung other cosmetic things. It only has 1500 miles on it and it is listed at $60K. My question is do you guys think that the mods have voided the warranty. I have troubles buying moded stuff since it has backfired in the past so I tend to stick with stock unless I do it myself and then I make it such that it can be reversed if needed. I know it is a very vague question but I would appreciate any input.

Thanks
BanOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 08:11 PM   #2
Ichabod

Drives: 2018 zl1 1LE
warranty is toast
2017 Ram 1500
Ichabod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 08:12 PM   #3
minn19

Drives: 22 ZL1, 20 Taco, 20 Cayenne S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichabod View Post
warranty is toast
Yup, pretty obvious.
minn19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 08:18 PM   #4
BanOne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichabod View Post
warranty is toast
Ok thanks, would you guys have heartburn buying a moded car for that much?
Old 10-25-2019, 08:22 PM   #5
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
No warranty on the car! Keep looking for a stock used ZL1 1LE!
Old 10-25-2019, 08:25 PM   #6
minn19

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanOne View Post
Ok thanks, would you guys have heartburn buying a moded car for that much?
Yes, but I’m a wuss and never mod anything that will void a warranty. I like driving to and from the track with an intact warranty. For me the current sports cars are powerful enough with out adding more IMO.

But, if you like to do that and like the extra power etc just realize you can and will be on the hook for thousands of dollars for an engine etc. I could pay for it, but no way in hell would I want to.
Old 10-25-2019, 08:41 PM   #7
Tricksta

Drives: 2018 ZL1 A10
Quote:
Guys,

I am looking at purchasing a 2018 ZL1 1LE that has a couple mods on it, kooks long tube headers, a V-max TB, and a tune amoung other cosmetic things. It only has 1500 miles on it and it is listed at $60K. My question is do you guys think that the mods have voided the warranty. I have troubles buying moded stuff since it has backfired in the past so I tend to stick with stock unless I do it myself and then I make it such that it can be reversed if needed. I know it is a very vague question but I would appreciate any input.

Thanks
technically the warranty isn't voided unless they can prove the modifications caused the issue.
Old 10-25-2019, 08:44 PM   #8
minn19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricksta View Post
technically the warranty isn't voided unless they can prove the modifications caused the issue.
A lot of people say this, but the reality is they void your warranty and then you have to prove via much cash/lawyers that it didn’t cause it. Not a lot of fun.
Old 10-25-2019, 08:57 PM   #9
most-wanted

Drives: ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by minn19 View Post
A lot of people say this, but the reality is they void your warranty and then you have to prove via much cash/lawyers that it didn’t cause it. Not a lot of fun.
Not true. Stop spreading misinformation. There are plenty of mod friendly dealers. Just got to find them. Now if you spray a 500 shot and throw a rod they can and most probably will not cover it. But I have never had any issues with warranty coverage on any of my modded cars. You talking like this makes people think that even if the A/C fails or the radio stops working they're not gonna cover it because it has an intake. smh. Its all common sense. Not too mention the dealer makes money on warranty work. So unless there is something blatantly negligent they shouldn't give you too much trouble as long as its a reputable mod friendly dealer. This conversation always makes me chuckle. I have dealers near me that install blowers on cars and cover them 100%
most-wanted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 09:03 PM   #10
minn19

Quote:
Originally Posted by most-wanted View Post
Not true. Stop spreading misinformation. There are plenty of mod friendly dealers. Just got to find them. Now if you spray a 500 shot and throw a rod they can and most probably will not cover it. But I have never had any issues with warranty coverage on any of my modded cars. You talking like this makes people think that even if the A/C fails or the radio stops working they're not gonna cover it because it has an intake. smh. Its all common sense. Not too mention the dealer makes money on warranty work. So unless there is something blatantly negligent they shouldn't give you too much trouble as long as its a reputable mod friendly dealer. This conversation always makes me chuckle. I have dealers near me that install blowers on cars and cover them 100%
That’s your opinion/experience. A/C or radio is leagues different from a motor problem being denied and having to pony up for a new one on your dime. I barely got Ford to honor their warranty on a GT350 motor and I only added catch cans and nothing else. GM isn’t a whole lot different in trying to not pay for high dollar warranty issues if they see a way they don’t have to.

The saying you gotta pay to play is not misinformation. If you’ve been lucky good for you as that isn’t the norm in these situations.

In OPs case if the car is already 60k find a brand new one for a few k more and do what he/she wants to do with it. At least they are starting with a clean slate.
Old 10-25-2019, 09:16 PM   #11
BanOne

Quote:
That’s your opinion/experience. A/C or radio is leagues different from a motor problem being denied and having to pony up for a new one on your dime. I barely got Ford to honor their warranty on a GT350 motor and I only added catch cans and nothing else. GM isn’t a whole lot different in trying to not pay for high dollar warranty issues if they see a way they don’t have to.

The saying you gotta pay to play is not misinformation. If you’ve been lucky good for you as that isn’t the norm in these situations.

In OPs case if the car is already 60k find a brand new one for a few k more and do what he/she wants to do with it. At least they are starting with a clean slate.
It is funny you mentioned the gt350, I was on the trail of getting a great gt350 until I checked in on the forum and saw the extensive thread on blown motors. Started to look elsewhere after that.

Thanks for all the input guys I am leaning toward finding another. My eyes just got big with all the extras. Need to step back and be patient.
Old 10-25-2019, 09:24 PM   #12
minn19

Quote:
It is funny you mentioned the gt350, I was on the trail of getting a great gt350 until I checked in on the forum and saw the extensive thread on blown motors. Started to look elsewhere after that.

Thanks for all the input guys I am leaning toward finding another. My eyes just got big with all the extras. Need to step back and be patient.
Good luck with your search. Blown motors aside, I like the ZL1 a lot more than my previous GT350s for quite a few reasons. They are both great cars, but the ZL1 (especially the 1LE) takes it to another level IMO.
Old 10-25-2019, 09:39 PM   #13
BanOne

Quote:
Good luck with your search.
Thanks
Old 10-26-2019, 04:52 PM   #14
Rob360

Drives: ///
Quote:
So funny. The main reason that I am browsing this forum again is because I was looking for a GT350 and came to the same conclusion as you.

All those blown motors on the GT350 scared me away. Luckily the car that it scared me towards performs better in pretty much every way.
Rob360 is offline   Reply With Quote