Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 01-13-2021, 06:57 PM   #15
Racerman27410

Drives: 2016 SS 2SS
tracking down a dead short should be fairly routine.

if the fuse doesn't pop until you drive the car its not a shorted wire. They don't ever short and then fix themselves.... they stay shorted....

The fact the fuse doesn't blow until you drive and make a turn is telling me the fault is probably a mechanical fault .... it appears there is a hydraulic pump involved and that is motor driven.
what is the amp rating on the fuse that's blowing?

i found this bit of information that may be handy in troubleshooting your issue. Might even be able to see exactly what conditions cause the fuse blow during the ELSD operation in real time by watching the coupling percentages on the DIC while you drive .... for example say a hard right hand turn pops the fuse every time but a hard left hand turn doesn't? try different things like put one wheel in the grass and one on pavement ... that move should trigger full lock on the diff. Being able to reliably replicate the failure is the first step in repairing the problem.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...58840-9999.pdf

Last edited by Racerman27410; 01-13-2021 at 08:05 PM.
Racerman27410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 05:02 AM   #16
Batwhlz

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS
Racer man, the F22 fuse is 30A. The only constant that I can replicate is popping the same fuse. It pops if I hit a bump, accelerate hard or soft, turning the steering wheel or keeping it straight. I pulled up the ELSD screen, but it is inoperable when the fuse is blown, and it blows within seconds of pulling out the driveway. I made it about 300ft recently before it popped, but I was driving it around 5mph then I hit a bump and it popped.

I watched the video (thanks for posting) so do you think it’s the motor that runs the hydraulic pump?
Batwhlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 07:54 AM   #17
95 imp
Dumb Ass Deluxe

Drives: A Tricked Out Mountain Bike
The exhaust gets hotter as you accelerate, just like the water and oil temps.

Did you put a shield around the new module, or insulate it?
Old 02-01-2021, 11:13 AM   #18
Racerman27410

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batwhlz View Post
Racer man, the F22 fuse is 30A. The only constant that I can replicate is popping the same fuse. It pops if I hit a bump, accelerate hard or soft, turning the steering wheel or keeping it straight. I pulled up the ELSD screen, but it is inoperable when the fuse is blown, and it blows within seconds of pulling out the driveway. I made it about 300ft recently before it popped, but I was driving it around 5mph then I hit a bump and it popped.

I watched the video (thanks for posting) so do you think it’s the motor that runs the hydraulic pump?
A 30 amp fuse definitely sounds like the power feed to the pump motor. Computers usually have much lower amp rated fuses. The fact that just going over a bump can cause the fuse to blow makes me think wiring issue and starting at the rear diff you can find the plug that goes into the pump motor and follow the wires back to look for obvious issues like cuts /melted sections. It could also be an internal wiring issue with the pump moto and that is where i would be looking real hard.
Old 02-01-2021, 01:17 PM   #19
Batwhlz

95 IMP, yes I put a heat shield around it but it did not help.

Racerman, I will jack the car up this weekend and start chasing again starting at the rear differential. If it’s internal I don’t know how to troubleshoot that. I will keep you posted. Thanks again for the advice.
Old 02-01-2021, 02:51 PM   #20
Racerman27410

Quote:
95 IMP, yes I put a heat shield around it but it did not help.

Racerman, I will jack the car up this weekend and start chasing again starting at the rear differential. If it’s internal I don’t know how to troubleshoot that. I will keep you posted. Thanks again for the advice.
I believe the easiest thing to do to narrow it down would be to unplug the pump motor harness right at the rear diff. then drive the car and see if the fuse blows. If it blows with the diff harness loose then the odds are you have a short in the wiring somewhere between the diff and computer. If the fuse only blows when the pump motor is plugged in then i would lean towards a pump motor internal failure.

You have to start somewhere. Good luck Brother!
Old 02-01-2021, 04:57 PM   #21
Batwhlz

Racerman, I totally agree with you. Thanks. I should be able to try it this weekend. I will post when I’m done.
Old 02-01-2021, 06:50 PM   #22
95 imp
Dumb Ass Deluxe

Drives: A Tricked Out Mountain Bike
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racerman27410 View Post
I believe the easiest thing to do to narrow it down would be to unplug the pump motor harness right at the rear diff. then drive the car and see if the fuse blows. If it blows with the diff harness loose then the odds are you have a short in the wiring somewhere between the diff and computer. If the fuse only blows when the pump motor is plugged in then i would lean towards a pump motor internal failure.

You have to start somewhere. Good luck Brother!
+1
Old 03-10-2021, 11:43 AM   #23
Batwhlz

Update: I found the issue. The EBCM wire running to the fuse box was making contact with the header. The insulation was a little burnt, I put heat resistant tape on it and went for a test drive. The fuse did not pop. In a way, the dealership was right when they said my after market headers was causing the issue, but they were completely wrong by suggesting it was the EBCM getting heat soaked. I hope this helps other people if they start blowing the F22 fuse.
Old 03-10-2021, 12:36 PM   #24
Racerman27410

Quote:
Update: I found the issue. The EBCM wire running to the fuse box was making contact with the header. The insulation was a little burnt, I put heat resistant tape on it and went for a test drive. The fuse did not pop. In a way, the dealership was right when they said my after market headers was causing the issue, but they were completely wrong by suggesting it was the EBCM getting heat soaked. I hope this helps other people if they start blowing the F22 fuse.

Good on ya brother for getting this figured out!

I know you are feeling a lot better about things now... enjoy the drive!
Old 03-10-2021, 12:55 PM   #25
Batwhlz

Thanks Racerman, you helped out a lot. I was able to narrow the problem area down with your suggestions.
Old 03-10-2021, 01:08 PM   #26
Racerman27410

Quote:
Thanks Racerman, you helped out a lot. I was able to narrow the problem area down with your suggestions.
No worries my friend, happy to help!
Old 03-10-2021, 03:54 PM   #27
Osbornsm

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE
Thumbs up

Quote:

Feels SO good to figure this sh*t out

Mods: Rotofab, Nick Williams 103mm TB, MSD IM, Kooks 1 7/8
Results: 470 hp / 447 tq
Osbornsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 05:25 PM   #28
Batwhlz

Yes it does

Tags
abs inop, fuse, rear axle