BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 05-11-2016, 02:19 PM   #323
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pushrod Pete View Post
the z06 can barely do 2 laps without heat soak. I hope they addressed this if they indeed to plan to use the LT4. It would be embarrassing to make a "track car" that can barely manage to complete 2 laps lol...
It's not so much heat soak, but overheating the transmission...and this issue was addressed with larger coolers...besides the fact that the ZL1 features significantly more cooling than the Corvette has to work with. I very much doubt it will have a problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Will View Post
The Z28 has shared engines with other Camaro platforms before. Why not now?
Many have a problem with the heritage factor....Z/28 was originally built to be a competitive race car. Competitive race cars typically use Naturally-aspiritaed engines. LT4 is supercharged. Yet, the LT1 doesn't have enough grunt to really push a car with these sorts of handling and braking capabilities to its limit...So they ask for a new engine...
Old 05-11-2016, 02:24 PM   #324
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
I just hope I have ALL the details on this car BEFORE I buy the ZL1
Old 05-11-2016, 02:24 PM   #325
bballr4567

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjk3888 View Post
Umm tires were squealing through the entire turn. That's a pretty fast sweeper so I'm sure he literally gave a quick stab of the brakes. (not exactly a braking zone BTW) He was definitely WOT from 0:34-0:36 any person can hear the raise in RPM.

As far as how much throttle he applied on corner exit, the next turn was a simlar sweeper. He seemed to be moving at a decent pace to me. We have no idea if he had heat in the tires yet or what the testing situation was.

You don't have to lock up on entry and drift the corner to get max speed. Remember ABS and Perf Traction Management are all there to aid in avoiding loss of traction. So there shouldn't be absolute screeching from the tires.
Sure thing!!!

The crazy fact is there is at least a minute of the car on the track and we hear "whine" for maybe a second of it. Something isn't right.
bballr4567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 02:26 PM   #326
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Quote:
True. Are you saying they might call it a ZL1/1LE? I would be surprised if that happened.
I don't know. It's not likely it will be ZL1/1LE but I highly doubt it will be ZL1/Z28.
Old 05-11-2016, 02:28 PM   #327
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post
I definitely heard blower whine at the :34 second mark...strange you can't here it anywhere else, though...

It looks like there's two possibilities, here...

This could be a "ZL1.R", or "ZL1 track package"

...or this could be a Z/28.

Z/28 won't be a "package" for the ZL1...not happening. If it's not the right car, then it's not a Z/28, that's what the team has said...perhaps there won't be a Z/28 as we've come to know it, then?
I agree. I don't think it would be an option box on the ZL1, but rather use the ZL1 as its backbone and crank it up to 11
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 02:35 PM   #328

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Well, there are definitely TWO different cars in the video....

The track video starts out with the hash-marked car, (plate # 050-031)...then interspersed on the track is the non-hash car (plate # 047-832) that is the one around :35-40 seconds with the super-charger heard....that is the only segment of the non-hash car on the track....and perhaps why no supercharger is heard on the hash-marked car...Both are then shown driving off the track on the street...

Possibly two different test set-ups, different engines, different spoiler mounts....But two separate cars for sure, made to look like just one in the video...Maybe one is a ZL-1 package, one is the Z/28??...lol

Happy Hunting!

90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 02:45 PM   #329
chain777

Drives: Slow
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
I don't think they are worried too much about the Z/28, this gen or last, as being a big seller. If it looks like they are just "stacked", I don't see that as a concern.

The Z/28 will be at the top of the stack. It had a unique engine, normally aspirated last gen and sales stunk. Maybe they don't want a repeat of that.

All the howling for normally aspirated didn't translate into a big selling 5th Gen.
It wasn't the LS7 that translated into poor sales for the Z/28, it was the price and the fact that it wasn't equipped to make a good street car. 75K for a stripped track car is a very limited market.

I wonder what price point this new one is aiming at? It seems mid 60's is the consensus for the new ZL1 and if this new Z/28 is based off the ZL1 but with more aggressive aero, suspension, tires and CC brakes, are we looking at a price even higher than the last one? If so, it's creeping mighty close to ZO6 territory.
chain777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 02:45 PM   #330
JacobC1983

Drives: 2019 ZL1
Quote:

Z/28 won't be a "package" for the ZL1...not happening. If it's not the right car, then it's not a Z/28, that's what the team has said...perhaps there won't be a Z/28 as we've come to know it, then?
If you think the vehicle is called a Z28 and will be its own model then that is fine...

But it is looking more and more like the Z28 starts with a ZL1 as the backbone and adds different aero, tires and probably coil overs.

This vehicle isn't getting it's own powerplant as the last generation which is where most people draw the line as a different "model" so to speak.
JacobC1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 02:50 PM   #331
ISHLISS
Chevy & Ford Enthusiast

Drives: '21 Camaro LT1
Sounds NA to me. @.34 seconds he is hard on the brakes so why would there be blower whine?
ISHLISS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 02:50 PM   #332
DanSS24

Drives: Dream Cars in my head
This Z/28 WILL be N/A.

Wishful thinking...but I sure can dream big.
DanSS24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 02:51 PM   #333
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
I agree. I don't think it would be an option box on the ZL1, but rather use the ZL1 as its backbone and crank it up to 11
Definitely a possibility.

Quote:

The track video starts out with the hash-marked car, (plate # 050-031)...then interspersed on the track is the non-hash car (plate # 047-832) that is the one around :35-40 seconds with the super-charger heard....that is the only segment of the non-hash car on the track....and perhaps why no supercharger is heard on the hash-marked car...Both are then shown driving off the track on the street...

Possibly two different test set-ups, different engines, different spoiler mounts....But two separate cars for sure, made to look like just one in the video...Maybe one is a ZL-1 package, one is the Z/28??...lol

Happy Hunting!
Very interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacobC1983 View Post
If you think the vehicle is called a Z28 and will be its own model then that is fine...

But it is looking more and more like the Z28 starts with a ZL1 as the backbone and adds different aero, tires and probably coil overs.

This vehicle isn't getting it's own powerplant as the last generation which is where most people draw the line as a different "model" so to speak.
We don't know much in stone, just yet...but it would appear that the car starts as a ZL1.
Old 05-11-2016, 02:58 PM   #334
JacobC1983

Drives: 2019 ZL1
Quote:
We don't know much in stone, just yet...but it would appear that the car starts as a ZL1.
Let's look at this a different way for fun.

Is the Corvette Grand Sport a different model?

I am sure you can tell which way I am going with this... because if it is.. then the Z28 definitely is as well.
JacobC1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 03:04 PM   #335
mjk3888
"M1SS1LE"

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by bballr4567 View Post
Sure thing!!!

The crazy fact is there is at least a minute of the car on the track and we hear "whine" for maybe a second of it. Something isn't right.
It was on track for less than 40 seconds. Half of that it was out of view. Only once was it at speed and under acceleration while driving towards the camera. Hence, why we only hear whine only once. You won't hear S/C whine over exhaust, so you will never hear it unless you are in front of the car.

You can try to dissect it until your blue in the face, but this car has a S/C! Sorry if that's not what you want, but its just a fact.

Quote:

Happy Hunting!
Previously the Hash marks denoted Automatic vs Manual test cars. I think the same has taken place here. I posted on this a few pages ago, but I know its hard to take in every page of the thread.

Quote:
MANUAL TRANS CAR
The non has mark car is definitely a manual. In its shot leaving the driveway you can clearly hear (Throttle off/clutch in) engine decel between gear switches. Not a seamless drop in RPM like an auto would have.

AUTO TRANS CAR
The hash mark car after pulling out of the roundabout at 2:35-2:55 makes at least 3 maybe 4 gear changes up seamlessly from maybe 10-35mph never seeming to exceed 2k rpm. This definitely smells of 10 speed auto to me.

I also think both drivers were well aware they were being recorded and were mindful to try and not make it obvoius if the car was an auto or manual.
There you go.

Old 05-11-2016, 03:06 PM   #336
2010SLVRBULIT

Drives: G5(LLT) & C6(LS3)
So, the Z/28 reveals itself(note, no 'RS' headlights). Finally, A 6th gen worth waiting for...
2010SLVRBULIT is offline   Reply With Quote