Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Transmissions

AWE Tuning

Old 07-18-2018, 06:56 AM   #43
Chutzpah

Drives: Wild Cherry LT1
I’ll be the test subject for new fluid only and catching the shudder early. My car probably shuddered sub 30 times, for less than 2 or 3 seconds. Reading these posts educated me enough to where I started driving in manual mode at a higher rpm to get around it before bringing to dealer. I’d really be surprised if the TC is burnished, if so, it’s junk to begin with and should be replaced.
Chutzpah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 09:23 AM   #44
init4fun

Drives: 2017 50th Anniversary
Been down this road numerous times. First a re-flash of the trans computer, next the flush, finally a replacement converter and fluid flush

Then came the transmission issues. Replaced the transmission and converter. Shudder came back about 200 miles later.

Another fluid flush, a couple of weeks later a new converter and fluid flush. 500 miles later another transmission and Converter. Supposedly there is a redesigned converter that was used with updated software that should prevent the issue.

Finally been able to drive the car for more than a month without a dealer visit. Put 1400 miles on it with all the driving back and forth and around at CF8. Seems to be OK for now.

The A8 in these cars in a giant POS and GM has no intention of fixing the issue as they have dumped the A8 for the A10 in the newer model.

If you are just starting to have issues now I would let them do a flush and dump the car while it's running OK.
init4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 09:33 AM   #45
craigss50

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS Fifty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chutzpah View Post
I’ll be the test subject for new fluid only and catching the shudder early. My car probably shuddered sub 30 times, for less than 2 or 3 seconds. Reading these posts educated me enough to where I started driving in manual mode at a higher rpm to get around it before bringing to dealer. I’d really be surprised if the TC is burnished, if so, it’s junk to begin with and should be replaced.
Unfortunately when mine started I did not know what it was and took about 1500 miles before I realized it was the shutter problem. Felt like a rough road.
craigss50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 12:53 PM   #46
JT58

Drives: Former 2016 Camaro 1LT
I am very worried about the rough road ahead with this bad transmission. While this is going on I have been looking at new cars- to trade the Camaro and my sluggish Fiesta ST in. I see a few local 2018 Camaros out there with a V6, manual transmission. There are not too many, most have the turbo 4. I am going to test drive them this weekend and who knows, may end up trading my car in.
Old 07-18-2018, 12:58 PM   #47
speedup

Drives: 2017 2SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by JT58 View Post
I am very worried about the rough road ahead with this bad transmission. While this is going on I have been looking at new cars- to trade the Camaro and my sluggish Fiesta ST in. I see a few local 2018 Camaros out there with a V6, manual transmission. There are not too many, most have the turbo 4. I am going to test drive them this weekend and who knows, may end up trading my car in.
Can't blame you for looking; if I wasn't going to lose my a$$ on trading mine it would be gone already

2017 2SS, Hyper Blue, 8sp, NPP, MRC
speedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 03:28 PM   #48
ItsChristianInHD

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2LT RS 3.6L
Quote:
Originally Posted by init4fun View Post
Been down this road numerous times. First a re-flash of the trans computer, next the flush, finally a replacement converter and fluid flush

Then came the transmission issues. Replaced the transmission and converter. Shudder came back about 200 miles later.

Another fluid flush, a couple of weeks later a new converter and fluid flush. 500 miles later another transmission and Converter. Supposedly there is a redesigned converter that was used with updated software that should prevent the issue.

Finally been able to drive the car for more than a month without a dealer visit. Put 1400 miles on it with all the driving back and forth and around at CF8. Seems to be OK for now.

The A8 in these cars in a giant POS and GM has no intention of fixing the issue as they have dumped the A8 for the A10 in the newer model.

If you are just starting to have issues now I would let them do a flush and dump the car while it's running OK.
I know there was a new version of the TC and it’s been extremely reliable. A lot of people got it done at my dealership and they claim that they haven’t had it come back. It’s something with the TC locking and not unlocking. Maybe your dealership put the incorrect one in? Or if they changed it at all?
ItsChristianInHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 03:49 PM   #49
crosive

Drives: 18 zl1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsChristianInHD View Post
I know there was a new version of the TC and it’s been extremely reliable. A lot of people got it done at my dealership and they claim that they haven’t had it come back. It’s something with the TC locking and not unlocking. Maybe your dealership put the incorrect one in? Or if they changed it at all?
Can you give more information on this "new" tc? Part number, manufacture date, etc? Any information would be helpful.

As you may know, there are people that have had theirs replaced and are having no more issues. Then there are those that have went the whole 9 and problems are returning. I'd love to get some quantifiable information to see why and when.
crosive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 04:03 PM   #50
ItsChristianInHD

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosive View Post
Can you give more information on this "new" tc? Part number, manufacture date, etc? Any information would be helpful.

As you may know, there are people that have had theirs replaced and are having no more issues. Then there are those that have went the whole 9 and problems are returning. I'd love to get some quantifiable information to see why and when.
I sadly do not know the part number information....I’m going off of what my service advisor stated. I have talked to a family friend that had his done on his Silverado no issues now. Although, I know my advisor said there was a new bulletin from GM and they had to order the correct TC and Fluid. I have the service sheet in the car im sure it MIGHT have the part number on it, I’m at work now.
Old 07-18-2018, 04:08 PM   #51
crosive

Quote:
I sadly do not know the part number information....I’m going off of what my service advisor stated. I have talked to a family friend that had his done on his Silverado no issues now. Although, I know my advisor said there was a new bulletin from GM and they had to order the correct TC and Fluid. I have the service sheet in the car im sure it MIGHT have the part number on it, I’m at work now.
When you get time, please post that up. If you don't mind, ask your advisor for the info he has.

I've been through 2 flushes and a new tc myself. I *hope* it's fixed. But I'm not convinced that it is. Yet.
Old 07-18-2018, 04:21 PM   #52
init4fun

Drives: 2017 50th Anniversary
Quote:
I trust that the dealer did change the converter. I stayed onsite while they did the flush and was able to see them perform it. I also stopped by once during the converter swap and saw my car on the lift with the trans out of it so i'm pretty confident that they swapped it if they went to the trouble of pulling the transmission down.

While I'm not happy with the transmission, the dealers have actually been ok to deal with.
init4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 05:48 PM   #53
ItsChristianInHD

Quote:
I trust that the dealer did change the converter. I stayed onsite while they did the flush and was able to see them perform it. I also stopped by once during the converter swap and saw my car on the lift with the trans out of it so i'm pretty confident that they swapped it if they went to the trouble of pulling the transmission down.

While I'm not happy with the transmission, the dealers have actually been ok to deal with.
That’s honestly weird. I don’t blame you either. I had my doubts at first, but now not as much. You shouldn’t have to deal with the shudder. We all shouldn’t when we spent 20, 30, 40, to 50 grand for a car.
Old 07-18-2018, 05:52 PM   #54
ItsChristianInHD

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosive View Post
When you get time, please post that up. If you don't mind, ask your advisor for the info he has.

I've been through 2 flushes and a new tc myself. I *hope* it's fixed. But I'm not convinced that it is. Yet.
I’ll be leaving work soon. I’ll update you. No worries.
Old 07-18-2018, 06:11 PM   #55
ItsChristianInHD

Quote:

Here ya go. I blocked out my stuff of course.
Attached Images

Old 07-19-2018, 07:52 AM   #56
crosive

Quote:
Here ya go. I blocked out my stuff of course.
that is interesting. It's showing your converter as for the canyon/colorado 3.6l 8 speed. That in and of itself isn't the interesting part.

what's interesting is that the 6 cyl and 8 cyl apparently have 2 different converters, both exhibiting the same problems. I assumed this but didn't know for sure. So the slip tables may be playing more of a roll in bad torque converters than we initially thought