Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Transmissions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 07-16-2018, 04:21 PM   #15
ItsChristianInHD

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2LT RS 3.6L
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedup View Post
How long did they have to keep your car when they swapped the TC ? Did they give you a dealership loaner?
Sorry I was at work. I got a loaner and it took my dealership not even 4 hours to get it done.
I went too my family dealership Greenwood Chevrolet, told them the issue and that people got the flush and then the converter replaced and they ordered the converter and all done!

I have to admit, my dealerships around here are pretty dang cool. They don’t blow you off, they fix whatever issue you get.
Greenwood Chevrolet or RD Banks.
ItsChristianInHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 06:01 PM   #16
GTRSOLO

Drives: 89 Turbo Trans Am
This issue has been beat to death on the vette forums. Seems that the eco mode that caused the engine to go from V8 to V4 mode is the likely problem. It's looks like it's causing the convertor to hunt or search for optimum RPM and in doing so it's locking, unlocking, locking. This is wearing the convertor out. Looks like the solution for many has been a device called a "Range Finder" a plug and play box that eliminates the eco mode from ever engaging. I almost got the C7 A8, but got the C7 M7 because I read of this problem but at the time I didn't know of a "real" fix. It seems that the flush that dealers are doing is temporary fix. Good luck.
GTRSOLO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 06:12 PM   #17
speedup

Drives: 2017 2SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsChristianInHD View Post
Sorry I was at work. I got a loaner and it took my dealership not even 4 hours to get it done.
I went too my family dealership Greenwood Chevrolet, told them the issue and that people got the flush and then the converter replaced and they ordered the converter and all done!

I have to admit, my dealerships around here are pretty dang cool. They don’t blow you off, they fix whatever issue you get.
Greenwood Chevrolet or RD Banks.
4 hours to replace a TC ? doesnt the tranny need to come out? thats amazing

2017 2SS, Hyper Blue, 8sp, NPP, MRC
speedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 06:14 PM   #18
ItsChristianInHD

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2LT RS 3.6L
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedup View Post
4 hours to replace a TC ? doesnt the tranny need to come out? thats amazing
My tech advisor said, all they did was lift the car, drop the transmission and the torque converter is right there and pulled it out, popped the new one in, changed the fluid and I think he said program the transmission and boom all done!

I plan to move south in a couple years but I’m gonna miss my dealerships.
ItsChristianInHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 06:24 PM   #19
Chutzpah

Drives: Wild Cherry LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRSOLO View Post
This issue has been beat to death on the vette forums. Seems that the eco mode that caused the engine to go from V8 to V4 mode is the likely problem. It's looks like it's causing the convertor to hunt or search for optimum RPM and in doing so it's locking, unlocking, locking. This is wearing the convertor out. Looks like the solution for many has been a device called a "Range Finder" a plug and play box that eliminates the eco mode from ever engaging. I almost got the C7 A8, but got the C7 M7 because I read of this problem but at the time I didn't know of a "real" fix. It seems that the flush that dealers are doing is temporary fix. Good luck.
The Range device does NOT solve the issue. I tried the device just before I had the shudder, for the reason you stated, as well, I hate AFM. The shudder occurs because of tuning and possibly manufacturing issues (or TC design). If the car is forced into V8 mode by the range, that doesn't affect an independent TC tune, it will still shudder. I used the Range sparingly prior to the flush, but since the flush, so far so good @ 500 miles . I'm waiting for many more miles to rack up before I try and reinstall... or possibly trade up ...
Chutzpah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 09:19 PM   #20
Homer2

Drives: 50th Anni.. coming home 11/01
Went to my dealer today - we talked about the flush fix.. fluid is hard to come by so they are just going to replace the TC. No waste
Built Sept 16/2016 - #2681 of 5955. She came home with me 11/01/16. 50th Anni, 2SS, A8, NPP, NGM Rock Guards, Footwell Lighting, Black Bow Ties, Street Warrior Rotors and Pads, Ceramic Pro, 3M PPF, Oracle Ghosted Side Markers, Kooks 2" headers w/hi flow cats. GPI Stage 1 Cam installed at 305,000 kms.
Homer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 08:25 AM   #21
JT58

Drives: Former 2016 Camaro 1LT
Wow this is awful regarding the cars that have the A8. I wish too I got a manual. I am going to elevate at the dealership. I would go there face to face but I work 40 miles from town out in the sticks.

How can the torque converter wear out going in and out of eco mode? Mine started doing the shudder at 2K miles. Now at only 6K miles it's worse than ever. So if they do replace the converter and it since it still goes in and out of ECO mode, won't it wear out again? Sounds like it's a defect. I was thinking to trade mine in for a V6 manual but not sure I want a GM product and I'll get hosed with the trade in value.
Old 07-17-2018, 10:03 AM   #22
GTRSOLO

Drives: 89 Turbo Trans Am
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chutzpah View Post
The Range device does NOT solve the issue. I tried the device just before I had the shudder, for the reason you stated, as well, I hate AFM. The shudder occurs because of tuning and possibly manufacturing issues (or TC design). If the car is forced into V8 mode by the range, that doesn't affect an independent TC tune, it will still shudder. I used the Range sparingly prior to the flush, but since the flush, so far so good @ 500 miles . I'm waiting for many more miles to rack up before I try and reinstall... or possibly trade up ...
I was just like damn, I don't want to spend more time driving to the dealer than enjoying the car, so I went with the manual. It's a real PITA that GM hasn't solved this issue. I haven't read any negatives about the A10 yet and you can now get it in the SS as I'm sure you know, but you have to get the new front end too.

Here is a thread if interested, it's long though. over 700 posts of what others have found.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-tracking.html
GTRSOLO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 10:17 AM   #23
smkymntn
Smoky

Drives: 2018 1SS
I had flush done at 4K miles on my 18 SS. Came right back and is going to dealer tomorrow for TC replacement. I love the car but have to drive in manual mode after it warms up to keep it from rumble stripping. After warranty I will tune tcm and maybe consider circle D TC
smkymntn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 10:25 AM   #24
torqueaddict

Drives: Tesla M3 LR-AWD [Former 1SS owner]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JT58 View Post
Wow this is awful regarding the cars that have the A8. I wish too I got a manual. I am going to elevate at the dealership. I would go there face to face but I work 40 miles from town out in the sticks.

How can the torque converter wear out going in and out of eco mode? Mine started doing the shudder at 2K miles. Now at only 6K miles it's worse than ever. So if they do replace the converter and it since it still goes in and out of ECO mode, won't it wear out again? Sounds like it's a defect. I was thinking to trade mine in for a V6 manual but not sure I want a GM product and I'll get hosed with the trade in value.
I don't know if they redesigned the torque converter, but if they did, you should be ok with the replacement.

This was one of the major weaknesses GM should have addressed promptly with a replacement, not flushing, as that doesn't seem to work every time. I will never understand why this was such big deal for them to fix. It's definitely a design flaw they should have owned up to.

I'm guessing the 2019s will be a lot more reliable in that regard.
torqueaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 12:13 PM   #25
JT58

Drives: Former 2016 Camaro 1LT
Update- the dealer is fitting me in next week and giving me a rental car. Service Manager said that it depends on the VIN whether they replace the TC or do a second flush. It must be a bad design in the TC. And yes I found out yesterday that when I shift in manual mode the shuddering stops. Hopefully it will eventually get fixed, I really want to keep the car- I have not found anything that I like better in my car shopping to replace it with.
Old 07-17-2018, 12:26 PM   #26
DanSnow

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LT 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer2 View Post
Went to my dealer today - we talked about the flush fix.. fluid is hard to come by so they are just going to replace the TC. No waste
Um, chevy's reasoning for it is bad/wrong fluid being used. If they replace the TC and leave the bad fluid it will just destroy another TC.
DanSnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 01:22 PM   #27
Inkedmongo

Drives: 2ss
I'm dropping mine back off in the morning due to misc shuddering coming and going. It had the triple flush done at 1400 miles and car has just over 10k miles on it now.

I'm past the point of being pissed, it's just whatever at this point, and honestly its why the stack of mods for my car have been sitting on a shelf, because I knew this would come back after reading what everyone else has said, and I want any and all problems handled prior to bolting on a single thing.
Inkedmongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 02:56 PM   #28
torqueaddict

Drives: Tesla M3 LR-AWD [Former 1SS owner]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JT58 View Post
Update- the dealer is fitting me in next week and giving me a rental car. Service Manager said that it depends on the VIN whether they replace the TC or do a second flush. It must be a bad design in the TC. And yes I found out yesterday that when I shift in manual mode the shuddering stops. Hopefully it will eventually get fixed, I really want to keep the car- I have not found anything that I like better in my car shopping to replace it with.
Ok, so this is somewhat reassuring. Your dealer SM seems like he is knowledgeable about the issue.

I don't blame you on wanting to keep the car. It would take an extraordinary situation for me to have to let it go. Good luck.
torqueaddict is offline   Reply With Quote