Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 07-02-2018, 11:18 PM   #57
JamesNoBrakes

Drives: 2SS 1LE
One of the next confusing parts was that there was no U-shaped vacuum tube below the throttle body. In fact, there's pretty much nothing below the throttle body:

You can see the spacer installed on the sound-tube mount.
Attached Images

2018 2SS 1LE
2023 Colorado ZR2
2022 Stinger GT-line AWD

Last edited by JamesNoBrakes; 07-02-2018 at 11:40 PM.
JamesNoBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 11:23 PM   #58
JamesNoBrakes

Again, I know you are trying to help out everyone here, but this is not written in a way that lessens confusion:

Quote:
The gray tabs push in to release the tube. the bottom nippel goes to the center of the can the top to the one of the exit ports on the can.
you add 1 of the 1 way valves arrow pointing away from the can to both exit ports.
With no pictures, it should be much more specific. Again, this is NOT a hit on the OP, this is a hit on the company for not providing freaking instructions. The OP shouldn't have to take up the slack.

The U-shaped vacuum tube can be seen here right below the corner of the engine cover. It attaches to the right side of the throttle body, like this: ⊃

It's a little tight to get the tube off, but easier to get the new tubes and clamps in I found.
Attached Images

2018 2SS 1LE
2023 Colorado ZR2
2022 Stinger GT-line AWD

Last edited by JamesNoBrakes; 07-02-2018 at 11:39 PM.
Old 07-02-2018, 11:28 PM   #59
JamesNoBrakes

I found it was much easier to figure out the approximate lengths of the hoses, then take the can and hoses out, tighten the hoses into the can, put the one-way valves on, then re-install in the car and run the rest of the hose-lines past the one-way valves.

Quick tip, seems MUCH easier to "twist" the hoses into the compression-nuts. Pushing did nothing, but twisting got them to the threads quick.
Attached Images

2018 2SS 1LE
2023 Colorado ZR2
2022 Stinger GT-line AWD
Old 07-02-2018, 11:34 PM   #60
JamesNoBrakes

Yeah, and then you get here...and you start asking "WTF?" (more than already).

There's nothing in the kit to get from the exit port to this fitting.

The clamp that is on there is unlike anything else that you've encountered up to this point (hell, I've not seen one like this ever), so you are left wondering, do I remove it? Will it break? Do I need it? Eventually, I figured screw it and broke the clamp off. Turns out the best way to do this was to remove that elbow completely (who knew? Not me...)

You can buy a 1" stopper-plug at the hardware store. It seemed like 3/8th was the magic-size drill bit, drill out the plug, and then thread the elbow-fitting that comes with the kit into it. You are pretty much just guessing at this point and making shit up as you go. One thing that is troublesome is that the drill leaves the side of the hole pretty ragged. I tried to clean it the best I could, but you hope little rubber pieces don't end up in your engine. There also isn't a great way to clamp this. I later went and got a different clamp, but ideally it would be skinnier. Hell, ideally they'd have some kind of actual fitting to make this damn thing work. I don't like this solution and I'd like something better. Part of the fun of this is bringing it to the auto-parts store and explaining what you are trying to do and having the salesperson look at you like you are smoking crack.
Attached Images

2018 2SS 1LE
2023 Colorado ZR2
2022 Stinger GT-line AWD
Old 07-02-2018, 11:38 PM   #61
JamesNoBrakes

As you see in the OPs pictures, quite a few more clamps are needed, in some places it just makes more sense to put a standard hose-clamp on there. I might trim some of these hoses a bit. About the only positive I can say with the kit is that the lose lengths are more than adequate, so you don't have to be worrying that you have to be super-exact or you'll run out.

Other than that, this thing is a joke as far as customer-support, instructions, etc. I can't recommend it until they actually have some instructions and some sort of list of "stuff you'll need" or a complete kit. I can't believe the company can't find someone that has a Gen 6 SS to document install with. Company should be ashamed.
Attached Images

2018 2SS 1LE
2023 Colorado ZR2
2022 Stinger GT-line AWD
Old 07-02-2018, 11:55 PM   #62
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
i had to figure it all out too but iv been working on cars for 25 years and did a catch can on the 5th gen so I knew how it all worked. In the directions from Elite they want you to drill a hole in the intake tube instead of removing the sound tube. I didnt like that idea and I was going to delete the sound tube any way so did it this way. My car was brand new off the lot when I did mine. I guess the sound tube gets hard with age. Mine came off easy.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 11:58 AM   #63
Msokeefe

Drives: 2018 1SS
I have the elite 2 catch can, I understand how to install it, bought extra brackets besides the one they sent with the “camaro LT1”. There is no decent place to mount it. None of the brackets work and I am not going to rig it. They do not have a 6 gen LT1 kit as they sell it. I am pissed, I have an Elite paperweight.
Msokeefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 07:50 PM   #64
parbreak

Drives: 2017 50th Camaro SS
It's amazing that these guys will jump in on any post that has to do with a catch can to basically bash other company's designs and write a freaking dissertation to do it, but never seem to respond to the multitude of complaints about their lack of clear instructions and lack of a COMPLETE kit. Hey, ELITE, thanks for helping me make my decision to go with Mighty Mouse Wild. Excellent instructions and I didn't have to buy anything extra for install.
50th Anniversary Edition |Borla Atak and 60606 mid pipes| Kooks 1 7/8" | ProCharger Stage II |305/45/17 DRs | Circle D 3500 stall | LT4 fueling | Custom made Lowside Aux Pump | Alky Control Meth | DSX E85
parbreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 12:52 AM   #65
JeromeS13

Drives: 2017 1SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by parbreak View Post
It's amazing that these guys will jump in on any post that has to do with a catch can to basically bash other company's designs and write a freaking dissertation to do it, but never seem to respond to the multitude of complaints about their lack of clear instructions and lack of a COMPLETE kit. Hey, ELITE, thanks for helping me make my decision to go with Mighty Mouse Wild. Excellent instructions and I didn't have to buy anything extra for install.
Odd. I installed mine with everything that came with the kit...
JeromeS13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 07:36 PM   #66
Msokeefe

Drives: 2018 1SS
The unit is way too heavy to be attached to something with one bolt. I have a roto fab with a sound tube delete. The best place to mount it would be where the sound tube was bolted with 2 bolts. A bracket, properly made would be perfect there.

Last edited by Msokeefe; 07-31-2018 at 07:36 PM. Reason: Spelling
Msokeefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 01:50 AM   #67
JCunningham

mines never moved in 5000miles. i can actually bend the bracket trying to move it.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
Old 12-19-2018, 08:54 PM   #68
JamesNoBrakes

And now I'm getting misfire at idle and the dealer wants to take it off and put the stock parts back.

2018 2SS 1LE
2023 Colorado ZR2
2022 Stinger GT-line AWD
Old 12-19-2018, 10:48 PM   #69
JCunningham

do it to appease them.
Old 01-25-2019, 02:36 AM   #70
18ss376

Drives: Camaro
Will this work with a Roto-Fab CAI with sound tube delete?
I have not seen any pic of an install with a Roto-Fab CAI
18ss376 is offline   Reply With Quote