Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Old 12-28-2020, 07:50 PM   #1
Valkyrie14
Valkyrie14

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro SS
NGauge, Aeroforce, or just have gauges everywhere

I have a AFR gauge and a boost gauge in a dual gauge pod on the dash heat vent. I want to add the fuel pressure gauge and a third gauge is one too many. In fact the second gauge blocks my view a bit.

I am considering the NGauge or Aeroforce mounted in the heat vent is the answer. I have looked at them a bit and I’m not really sure what plugs into the gauge. I know they plug into the OBD. The AFR also plugs into the OBD, and I don’t want to have two plugs in the OBD.

Anyone use these? What is the setup?
2014 SS LS3/LSA Supercharger, 10% Super Damper, 2.55 upper, AGP Dual Pump, ID 1050 injectors, Pegasus solid rear cradle bushings, LT Headers, Roto-Fab CAI, Elite E2 catch can, E85 corn fed, 160 Thermostat, Monster Twin Disk, MGW Short Throw shifter, Tick Clutch Master Cylinder, HP Tuners, JL Audio system.
Valkyrie14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 09:01 PM   #2
HOJO

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS/RS 1LE 1967 Camaro
Looking at adding gauges myself. Just wondering when you say dash heat vent are you referring to the small vent on the front corner of the dash for the divers door window? The little one? I looked at those put was not sure if they would affect visibility.
HOJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 09:12 PM   #3
Valkyrie14
Valkyrie14

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOJO View Post
Looking at adding gauges myself. Just wondering when you say dash heat vent are you referring to the small vent on the front corner of the dash for the divers door window? The little one? I looked at those put was not sure if they would affect visibility.
Yeah that is the one. I started with the single gauge and it had no visibility issue. The second gauge ends up blocking your view just a little. Not a big deal. The Aeroforce pod is a good product very easy to install.
2014 SS LS3/LSA Supercharger, 10% Super Damper, 2.55 upper, AGP Dual Pump, ID 1050 injectors, Pegasus solid rear cradle bushings, LT Headers, Roto-Fab CAI, Elite E2 catch can, E85 corn fed, 160 Thermostat, Monster Twin Disk, MGW Short Throw shifter, Tick Clutch Master Cylinder, HP Tuners, JL Audio system.
Old 12-28-2020, 10:21 PM   #4
blake-b

Drives: 2009 ZR1
You can run an analog signal from the AFR to either of those gauges for a display. Instructions on how to do that should be in the directions for the AFR setup. It may say something like external logger or something similar.

I have HPTuners and Teed into the two wires that go to the AFR wires for datalogging AFR. I then ran them to my nGauge in one of the analog ports. If you are familiar with datalogging AFR with HPT (the EIO input), you will understand what I am talking about. I just teed off those for the signals I needed.

Both the nGauge and Aeroforce have room for (2) 5v inputs. I am using one for AFR (actually in lambda) and the other for nitrous bottle pressure.
blake-b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 07:24 AM   #5
Valkyrie14
Valkyrie14

Quote:
Originally Posted by blake-b View Post
You can run an analog signal from the AFR to either of those gauges for a display. Instructions on how to do that should be in the directions for the AFR setup. It may say something like external logger or something similar.

I have HPTuners and Teed into the two wires that go to the AFR wires for datalogging AFR. I then ran them to my nGauge in one of the analog ports. If you are familiar with datalogging AFR with HPT (the EIO input), you will understand what I am talking about. I just teed off those for the signals I needed.

Both the nGauge and Aeroforce have room for (2) 5v inputs. I am using one for AFR (actually in lambda) and the other for nitrous bottle pressure.
So I could take the input connector from the AEM and plug it into the NGauge (not sure if that is the EIO you referenced)? I see on the back of an NGauge there are three receptacles that look like phone jacks, and one that is a four or five pin hookup. Would that alleviate the OBD for the AFR?

My goal is to add a fuel pressure but not another above dash pod or two connectors on the OBD.
Old 12-29-2020, 11:35 AM   #6
blake-b

What AEM do you have? You will need to set it up for external logging. Then you will run wires Teed off the AEM external logging setup to the 5 pin on the Ngauge. One will go to input 1 and the other to the ground of the 5 pin connector.

This should eliminate AFR being plugged into the OBD port but ill do some research after i find out what you have.

Also, which HPT do you have? MVPI or MVPI2?

ETA: Sounds like you have the AEM 30-0334. Since it has to be plugged into the OBD, there is no way around that unless you get a different AFR setup (the interface; likely you could buy a different AEM setup and it use the same wiring so no need to get under the car again). You can add a fuel pressure sensor to the nGauge via the analog inputs. Just do a search for external fuel pressure sensors "fuel rail pressure kit" or something like that. However, unless you are running a non OEM setup, you can see fuel pressure through the OBD port.
Attached Images

Last edited by blake-b; 12-29-2020 at 12:42 PM.
Old 12-29-2020, 12:07 PM   #7
HOJO

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS/RS 1LE 1967 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valkyrie14 View Post
Yeah that is the one. I started with the single gauge and it had no visibility issue. The second gauge ends up blocking your view just a little. Not a big deal. The Aeroforce pod is a good product very easy to install.
Thanks for the info, much appreciated Sir.
HOJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 07:14 PM   #8
Valkyrie14
Valkyrie14

Quote:
Originally Posted by blake-b View Post
What AEM do you have? You will need to set it up for external logging. Then you will run wires Teed off the AEM external logging setup to the 5 pin on the Ngauge. One will go to input 1 and the other to the ground of the 5 pin connector.

This should eliminate AFR being plugged into the OBD port but ill do some research after i find out what you have.

Also, which HPT do you have? MVPI or MVPI2?

ETA: Sounds like you have the AEM 30-0334. Since it has to be plugged into the OBD, there is no way around that unless you get a different AFR setup (the interface; likely you could buy a different AEM setup and it use the same wiring so no need to get under the car again). You can add a fuel pressure sensor to the nGauge via the analog inputs. Just do a search for external fuel pressure sensors "fuel rail pressure kit" or something like that. However, unless you are running a non OEM setup, you can see fuel pressure through the OBD port.
Why do I feel like I won’t get the wiring right on that.
Old 12-29-2020, 07:54 PM   #9
blake-b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valkyrie14 View Post
Why do I feel like I won’t get the wiring right on that.
It's just two wires ran from the data logging wires to the gauge (either nGauge or Aeroforce) and you have to enter the slope/intercept inside the gauge.
Old 03-02-2021, 08:50 PM   #10
Valkyrie14
Valkyrie14

Hi Blake, looking to revive our conversation here. I have done some things that have led me back to NGauge. I had to set a Fuel Pressure sensor on my fuel regulator and integrated that into the FPCM. It all appears to be working, but I didn’t get a gauge for that yet.

I did get a cheap boost gauge and I am not happy with it, not sure it works right, or the dual pod gauge I have. So, new question, does NGauge read boost from the OBD? I have a manual boost gauge (Glow Shift).

So here we are again. My AFR is a AEM UEGO, I don’t know if there are more than one UEGO. I really like it, in fact if I don’t get an NGauge I am getting AEMs boost gauge. I remember two wires on the AEM that said optional and I didn’t hook them up, I am guessing those are what I would OIG into the NGuage.

If I did this does the AFR stay plugged in, or is all the information go to the NGuage. I like the idea of one gauge to rule them all. Tell me boost, FP and AFR and ditch the pods.

I have HP MPV II.

I just missed on buying a used NGauge, which got me rolling on this again.
Old 03-04-2021, 11:00 AM   #11
Valkyrie14
Valkyrie14

Just found out NGauge is no longer in production or supported. This puts a damper on it. Anyone using NGauge that can comment on needing or not needing support for the product? I’m not worried about warranty, more of an update concern.
Old 03-05-2021, 10:55 AM   #12
TheFlyingBananaSS
Evil Genius of Chevrolet

Drives: 2017 Z06, 2019 XTS, 2013 SS
This is how I mounted my afr and boost gauges. Nothing blocking my view. I now need an E85 gauge and I can put it in a pod on the front corner vent for the drivers window.
Attached Images

GPI SS2 VVT cam, ECS Novi 1500 supercharger, Corsa Extreme, Detroit Speed and BMR suspension, Circle D triple disc, Melling oil pump, LS2 chain tensioner, ATI 10% UD, DSX E85 kit, High Energy coils, BTR springs, LS2 Lifter trays, Titanium retainers, hardened push rods, FIC 1000 injectors, ZL1 pump, Mighty Mouse catch can, AEM gauges, Tial BOV, Richmond 3.91 gears, Custom gauge bezels, Speed Engineering headers, Stainless Works HF cats, DSX Aux pump, 710rwhp on E85.
TheFlyingBananaSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 01:00 PM   #13
xc_SS/RS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlyingBananaSS View Post
This is how I mounted my afr and boost gauges. Nothing blocking my view. I now need an E85 gauge and I can put it in a pod on the front corner vent for the drivers window.
Thats a nice set up! Why would you need an ethanol gauge? Just curious since the tune has parameters set up to adjust based on the reading at the sensor
Z/28 intake, NW, FAST 102, speed engineering LT's, some exhaust, ATI -10% pulley, GM flex fuel injectors, DSX flex fuel sensor, MGW shifter, HP Tuners, some suspension work, stickers and a little weight loss. 12.63 @113.53
xc_SS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 01:05 PM   #14
TheFlyingBananaSS
Evil Genius of Chevrolet

Drives: 2017 Z06, 2019 XTS, 2013 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by xc_SS/RS View Post
Thats a nice set up! Why would you need an ethanol gauge? Just curious since the tune has parameters set up to adjust based on the reading at the sensor
I want to know who's got the best E85 near me and be able to monitor the content percent daily. The tune does its job no matter what but the car is faster with higher percentage of content.
GPI SS2 VVT cam, ECS Novi 1500 supercharger, Corsa Extreme, Detroit Speed and BMR suspension, Circle D triple disc, Melling oil pump, LS2 chain tensioner, ATI 10% UD, DSX E85 kit, High Energy coils, BTR springs, LS2 Lifter trays, Titanium retainers, hardened push rods, FIC 1000 injectors, ZL1 pump, Mighty Mouse catch can, AEM gauges, Tial BOV, Richmond 3.91 gears, Custom gauge bezels, Speed Engineering headers, Stainless Works HF cats, DSX Aux pump, 710rwhp on E85.
TheFlyingBananaSS is offline   Reply With Quote