Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 01-02-2017, 04:44 PM   #1
2000form

Drives: 2000 pontiac formula
american racing headers versus kooks headers

Does either have a performance advantage in the 6th generation Camaro platform? I would think no but who knows.
2000form is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 06:58 AM   #2
Hard Parker
OMWTFYB

Drives: ZL1
No and if a difference I would say very very negligible. ARH and Kooks are two of best brands to purchase when it comes to headers

Click HERE to follow my build!!
Click HERE to follow me on Instagram

#savethemanuals
Hard Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 04:44 PM   #3
Blk16SS

Drives: 2016 Chevy Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000form View Post
Does either have a performance advantage in the 6th generation Camaro platform? I would think no but who knows.
You won't get an honest answer to the point you're asking. Point is well taken on Hard Parker stating it's a very close race. I have a certain preference of the two only because I've spent thousands with them over the years. The other, I have zero history with. The reason why you won't get a true answer is because there isn't one. Nobody will get near that one out of respect for these manufacturers and the countless R&D hours and tons of $$$ that goes into developing parts. Is one better than the other one? Maybe, maybe not. One might make an ounce more power but the install is harder and they cost more. I've seen them ran head to head but that was on one car, one engine combo, and one independent shop. Did one out shine the other? To a degree but it would not stop me from purchasing the brand that fell abit short in comparison. You can't go wrong either way. I would advise you to splurge for coating if you have the extra coin....
Blk16SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 09:14 AM   #4
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Since LTs do not give much power anyway I am sure the difference is negligible. But if you are doing this DIY you might want to go Hooker. +1 on getting the coating. Heat reduction under the hood is key.
Old 01-04-2017, 10:18 AM   #5
Lemosine

Drives: 2016 M6 Hyper Blue 2SS
+ 1 on hooker, when I get Long tubes ill get hooker. I like the 2 piece design for easy install, and I doubt there is much difference in HP compared to others.
Lemosine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 01:25 PM   #6
oldman

Drives: SS 6 speed of course
got my Kooks from Juiced MS, they are a board vendor of course. Great in every way and it came with gaskets and it came with the grade 8 header bolts and locks for FREE! and the Kooks band clamps are SERIOUS. I usually weld all these splices but these ain't slipping nor slipping. Their firecone (yea I know that is a JBA trademark, which I tried to order BTW, luv their stuff, don't hate me) in the header was really well done and crud free. I've been using EBay headers on my race Hondas, meaning 3 hours with a die grinder before install (still way cheaper than a Mugen header), so I know what a good header should look like....
Forged short block, large duration sub .600 lift Cam Motion cam, 7200 RPM fuel cut, Pray Ported Heads, 3.85 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0 pump, ported front cats, 60608 Borla, LT4 injectors, ZL1 1LE driveshaft and Katech ported TB, ported MSD intake, BTR valvetrain, ARP studs, ProFlow valves, PS4 tires.
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 01:32 PM   #7
Hard Parker
OMWTFYB

Drives: ZL1
Awesome did you get them coated?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Click HERE to follow my build!!
Click HERE to follow me on Instagram

#savethemanuals
Hard Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 02:53 PM   #8
slick3

Drives: Garnet Red - 20 ZLE
I have had kooks and now have ARH. Both are great. The deciding factor when you are stuck between 2 good products is who has the best customer support.

I for one can say that ARH, has THE BEST CS. I will continue to use them for that reason alone.
slick3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 03:10 PM   #9
oldman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hard Parker View Post
Awesome did you get them coated?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did not get them coated... I have me reasons and probably the subject of a 50 page post... LOL
Forged short block, large duration sub .600 lift Cam Motion cam, 7200 RPM fuel cut, Pray Ported Heads, 3.85 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0 pump, ported front cats, 60608 Borla, LT4 injectors, ZL1 1LE driveshaft and Katech ported TB, ported MSD intake, BTR valvetrain, ARP studs, ProFlow valves, PS4 tires.
Old 01-04-2017, 03:24 PM   #10
bybcous

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraxum View Post
Since LTs do not give much power anyway I am sure the difference is negligible. But if you are doing this DIY you might want to go Hooker. +1 on getting the coating. Heat reduction under the hood is key.
I do not believe this but I would more so say you won't notice a big difference between the two brands 30 hp is alot in my books lol. I have kooks and there product is great but there customer service is horrible ass shit, but once you do get them on phone they know what the are tslking about, i may have had a bad experience because I ordered the day before black friday. I explained to them I only wanted to order if the item can be shipped out that day and it wasn't shipped until 4 days after the Thanksgiving, and i called everyday and was told it would ship every day. Luckily I live 5 hrs from kooks and shipping was a 1 day turn around. I needed oxygen sensor extensions for there headers
Best so far 11.5 at 123 with a 1.83 60ft. BMR lower and upper trailing arms and upper control arms,E85
DELIVERED 12/29/15
http://youtube.com/bybcous " no talking only racing on my youtube"
bybcous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 05:38 PM   #11
oldman

Quote:
Originally Posted by bybcous View Post
I do not believe this but I would more so say you won't notice a big difference between the two brands 30 hp is alot in my books lol. I have kooks and there product is great but there customer service is horrible ass shit, but once you do get them on phone they know what the are tslking about, i may have had a bad experience because I ordered the day before black friday. I explained to them I only wanted to order if the item can be shipped out that day and it wasn't shipped until 4 days after the Thanksgiving, and i called everyday and was told it would ship every day. Luckily I live 5 hrs from kooks and shipping was a 1 day turn around. I needed oxygen sensor extensions for there headers
I had that same experience with another vendor / mfg. Hench I ended up with Kooks... it was like two weeks before black friday and I knew I had time for the install... never came....
Old 01-04-2017, 07:43 PM   #12
MR 45TH

Drives: 2018 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraxum View Post
Since LTs do not give much power anyway
Can't say I can agree with that statement.
Old 01-04-2017, 09:46 PM   #13
2000form

Drives: 2000 pontiac formula
Do Kooks have the ball flange collector or are they slip on. I wish the manufacturers would make them so that you could easily unbolt them from the rest of the exhaust. I have American Racing Headers on my 2000 formula (slip on) and I basically need to remove the entire exhaust if I need to do something that's affected by the pipes. It really sucks.
2000form is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 09:55 PM   #14
LibertyHill

Drives: 16 2SS 6MT NPP MRC / 15 K1300S
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman View Post
I did not get them coated... I have me reasons and probably the subject of a 50 page post... LOL
I gotta know. Why uncoated?

Rohana RFX-5 10/11, M/T 275/305, Eibachs, Hellwigs, Hurst SS, DMS LT4 SC 596HP/589TQ, DMS Low-side, Kooks 2LTs, MBRP Race, Rotofab, MMS CC
LibertyHill is offline   Reply With Quote