Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 08-25-2015, 11:40 PM   #1
BradySS

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
AGP users quarter mile times

Making this thread to get some info on quarter mile times. I'm at the point where I'm wanting boost but I'm not as concerned with dyno numbers but I am concerned more about times people with the AGP setup that people are running. I'm leaning towards the AGP setup but I'm not seeing the time slips from them. The quickest cars I see are running centrifugals or PD blowers. Seems like the turbos make more power but I can't find the time slips to verify the effectiveness of that setup. I'm kind of at a loss. Want the twins but if that's not going to run the quickest times I'd rather go supercharger. A little bit of background about the car. It will be running a TH400 with a trans brake which I currently have but yet to put in. Also the BMR drag setup with all the goodies as far as rear suspension running 15's with Weld RTS wheels and Mickey Thompson Pro drag radial 275/60-15 which the suspension stuff is already installed just waiting for the wheels to be made (4-6weeks) So if anyone can post some times, videos or time slips I would greatly appreciate it. Did some digging on this forum and elsewhere and can't find any good times and to be honest the only results I've found are kind of lack luster or more to be desired. Like I said I'm leaning towards the twins but I'm on the fence and just need some help/proof to make my decision. My car currently makes 457 HP on 91 octane. Thanks...
BradySS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 12:02 AM   #2
DarkCry956

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Here we go again. I'm sure someone will tell you to search but it's pointless. Sure turbos make power and somewhere there's AGP cars running fast but no evidence that I've seen. I planned on getting rid of my centri but I don't think it's worth the hassle. I'm happy with a unimpressive dyno sheet and nice timeslip. Anyways turbos are cool specially the top mount setup hellion has
DarkCry956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 12:16 AM   #3
BradySS

DarkCry956 I hear you. I was kind of worried about making this post and getting flamed for not searching but I've spent many many nights looking for the quick quarter mile times and have not found them. I'm not saying the times are not out there on the site but when I search I've just typed in AGP and went through the pages of results. I am almost wondering if the people with this setup just don't post on Camaro5.com? The price and power levels sound tempting. I've called JDP and they will do the custom AGP setup for me with my TH400 but like I said just on the fence. I still have a foxbody mustang that had a pretty mild setup that ran 11.27 @ 122 with a 67mm turbonetics and that was the winning ticket I just dont know why I'm not seeing it with these cars. I even went through the 100 plus pages of the fast list and couldn't find good results. I was thinking maybe its not updated regularly being that the .pdf file I couldnt see a date on it. What kind of times are you running and with what setup?
Old 08-26-2015, 12:35 AM   #4
DarkCry956

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
It pretty much came down to that AGP customers aren't interested in track times and that they will make more power with just a the kit itself and no other mods and what not. Either way HP sells so thats what matters. Dyno sheets and butt Dyno is enough for most. I believe there's a few guys working on their builds right now so I'd wait till they are done and see their results at the track. I don't doubt the turbo kits but having proof is what some customers want.
I was running low 10s @ 136 on the stock block. Yes I needed bolt ons and cam to get there but hey I got the time slips
DarkCry956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 12:36 AM   #5
fif_gen_powa

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS Turbo
The fact is these kits make a ton of power. What people do with that power is up to them. Unfortunately a lot of the 5th gen camaro are just street cars and a lot are manual transmission not setup for drag racing. Some are just out on the streets running but a lot also get babied and just want to brag about a dyno sheet but not raced
fif_gen_powa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 12:54 AM   #6
BradySS

Quote:
Originally Posted by fif_gen_powa View Post
The fact is these kits make a ton of power. What people do with that power is up to them. Unfortunately a lot of the 5th gen camaro are just street cars and a lot are manual transmission not setup for drag racing. Some are just out on the streets running but a lot also get babied and just want to brag about a dyno sheet but not raced
Kind of what I was thinking. Maybe just the idea of running a turbo is so cool that a lot of people are just buying them for bragging rights/dyno numbers or something? The turbo kits have been out for long enough I would've thought I would have seen some impressive times from them. Hell the 6th gens are just around the corner. I remember the 4th gens were posting some damn impressive times with turbos well before the 5th gens came out. Hows that new Huron Speed kit working out? You pulled any times with that yet?
Old 08-26-2015, 01:01 AM   #7
BradySS

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkCry956 View Post
It pretty much came down to that AGP customers aren't interested in track times and that they will make more power with just a the kit itself and no other mods and what not. Either way HP sells so thats what matters. Dyno sheets and butt Dyno is enough for most. I believe there's a few guys working on their builds right now so I'd wait till they are done and see their results at the track. I don't doubt the turbo kits but having proof is what some customers want.
I was running low 10s @ 136 on the stock block. Yes I needed bolt ons and cam to get there but hey I got the time slips
I'll wait for these builds to come out. I've only got a few grand saved up now so I've got a little time to wait and see before I pull the trigger but your right a lot of guys well at least me want proof before making a purchase of that kind of magnitude.
Old 08-26-2015, 04:16 AM   #8
1KillerSS
Too much is never enough!

Drives: AGP TT SS [COTW] 4/20/15
Send a message via Skype™ to 1KillerSS
First off, there are almost two times as many supercharged cars as there are turbo cars, let alone AGP cars. It cracks me up when I see the comments about dyno queens and no track times. Not all people like to race, not all turbo cars race, and not everybody has an AGP kit. Seriously think about the amount of FI cars here on C5 and then tell me out of them all how many AGP kits there are. Better yet, how many Hellion kits are there, and why are there no quarter mile times for those people?

Just got back from the tractor pulls last weekend, 80 percent of the setups were all turbos. Yes its not quarter mile racing, but I think the point is yes they make big power.

Putting that power down, almost certainly requires a two step. Leaving the line in boost is a huge benefit. Unless you have a proper two step, your going to bog out and wait to spool. That was my issue, at the time I had my rear end sold, and didn't want to chunk it before I removed it and delivered it to the buyer. So I babied it and my times showed. Plus it was my first time EVER drag racing at a track.

First time to the track I ran a 11.19 at only 118. I was babying the rear end, so never launched higher than 3500. Also had only a small amount of timing retard on the two step.

That day I did 4 passes, a 11.1, 12.2, 12,3 and 11.3 the 12 second passes you could basically walk my 60 it was like over 2 seconds. I have some time slips on my build thread.

Hope this helps.
AGP TT kit, 54/57 Forged rotating assembly, Custom grind cam... Dual nozzle meth, ID850's, Livernois dual fuel pumps, ECS BAP, 25% UDP, 3 inch Magnaflow catback with X pipe, Mantic 9000 clutch, DSS 1000hp axles, DSS aluminum driveshaft, ZL1 rear end, solid subframe bushings, HE differential offset bushings, BMR Trailing arm, BMR toe rods, Lingenfelter LNC-2000,SJM Line Lock. 747 whp 714wtq

Build thread
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...55#post8107855
1KillerSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 08:45 AM   #9
PwrAdikt

Drives: 2005 silverado ss 2010 camaro ss
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21013
3 of the top 4 in the streetable big boy class are turbo most likely ips, agp, or custom cause all the helion n*t huggers would definitely be telling everyone that will listen if they ran a time like that. Mid mount twins with decent charge pipe. You have to understand how big of a deal it is that they have such a presence on the fast list considering how few people have them let alone dragrace them compared to supercharged cars. Most big turbo cars roll race i.e. The 1200hp supras that ruled the streets for the longest. I myself am in a delima on if i should go auto and have a good quarter time or stay m6 and dominate my lil area roll racing. The supercharger is an easier solution. Linear power that is rpm based so less suspension worries but the right turbo's will do the same and with twins they spool pretty quick and as stated already a 2step and there it is. I have a pd blower on my truck and love the throttle response and just driving was alot better cause the torque is down low so it felt just easier to drive but now you have to start worrying about belt slip, or throwing it completely superchargers have their demons too. I literally am so aggravated at my truck that i wont even punch it until i change to an 8 rib cause i have been stranded SEVERAL times from throwing it. My car i just turn my controller to 100 make sure i have meth and let her eat. I have rode in 9 second drag cars that pull the wheels but still doesnt impress me as much as my car in 4th with all boost pulling. Hope this helps

Last edited by PwrAdikt; 08-26-2015 at 08:55 AM.
PwrAdikt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 08:48 AM   #10
Unreal

Drives: 2006 Z06
First of all, your in Utah at high elevation, so turbos are almost a no brainier since they will make up for elevation compared to the blower.

Several AGP cars with very basic setups running high 9s/bottom 10s. Haven't seen anyone with a full out drag setup yet. There are cars with basically just tires/TTs going mid 10s. Mod per mod, the well done turbo cars are running very well. Kevin@AGP took his car out once to local drag strip, went 10s@135+. That was a stock L99 setup, no big stall, no drag parts, just 18" drag radials (which are the normal street tires) and the TT kit. I haven't seen any other power adder consistently trap 130+ on stock motors like the TT cars.

People like to compare a built motor/heads/cam huge stall built tranny, built rear end, gutted out, drag car that has made 100+ passes to times of the AGP cars when they make 1-2 passes with nothing but a kit and say "wow, look how much faster the blower car is". That is beyond silly.

Derrick from LA went 10.0s first time out in his manual tranny AGP twin setup, but since he has a low 9 second mustang that he drags and his camaro is just his daily driver, he hasn't been back trying to dial it in. He did do a lot of 1000' passes that were deep 9s since his local track is a 1000' track, but since he is focused on racing his turbo LS stang. I forget his name on here, but he posted up a ton of good track times.

Or there was a guy last month, kit, wheels, tires, 11.1@130+ first time out. Not even close to a dedicated drag setup.

Plus don't ignore the mass ammount of people with blower posting "just went to track and went mid 12s.." People here love to take the 1 out freak cars in -DA with a very tuned in specific drag setup and use that as the basis, then when your normal guy with a blower goes to track and clicks off a bunch of 12s, he seems to be confused why he isn't running 10s.

I went to a mustang meet Saturday night. Probably 20+ 2011+ mustangs. We started talking about drag racing. There were some vortech cars, some twin cars, some whipple cars, some TVS cars, etc. Turns out my stock motor, near bone ass stock mustang was the fastest at the drag strip. It runs consistent 11.8-11.9s with only power mods being a Airaid CAI. It has a big stall, gears, tires, driveshaft, control arms, adjustable shocks, differential, etc. It is tuned and setup to 60' and does consistent 1.61-1.62 60's. The next fastest mustang was a vortech car that made 700rwhp and ran 12.3s. Then the whipple one running 12.6s then the rest never broke into the 12s. So by the logic you see in this thread, an Airaid CAI is the ultimate 1/4 mile mod for a mustang and superior to blowers and turbos since I ran better times. Ignore the fact my car traps 114 and they were all 125+. The fact that my car is setup well, and dialed in to race 1/4 mile doesn't mean an airaid CAI is the best. Hell just tweaking my suspension and zero power mods I went from 12.2 to 11.8s. So if you can't hook you aren't going anywhere fast, no matter what power adder, but keep in mind 1/4 mile times are a complete car setup and more than just slapping on a power adder and hoping to be fast.

Last edited by Unreal; 08-26-2015 at 09:13 AM.
Unreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 11:48 AM   #11
Mr. Nasty
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: 2010 RS/SS Rally Yellow & 68 SS
WOW the Whipple only ran 12.60. I was running mid 10s at 585rwhp with the Whipple. Now low 10s with 50HP more. Is the air that bad there????
AS OF 1/29/16 @ 633 RWHP=10.10@136
TOPED 700 PASSES AFTER F.I. AND STILL ON THE ORIGIANAL STOCK AXLE & DIFF
Mr. Nasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 12:06 PM   #12
Unreal

Drives: 2006 Z06
Air is bad, but that cars issue wasn't power or air. Stock tires and stick shift, and 550rwhp doesn't go far. Just goes to show that drag racing is a lot more than just picking a power adder. I'm sure you are not running mid 10s with your whipple as the only mod.
Old 08-26-2015, 12:40 PM   #13
Mr. Nasty
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: 2010 RS/SS Rally Yellow & 68 SS
LOL no some suspension work 17" & 18" DR and a cam.
AS OF 1/29/16 @ 633 RWHP=10.10@136
TOPED 700 PASSES AFTER F.I. AND STILL ON THE ORIGIANAL STOCK AXLE & DIFF
Mr. Nasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 03:14 PM   #14
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Completely stock LS3 here. My mods are injectors and the 51/61 Borg Warner (did I get that right Unreal?) AGP twin turbos. Right now running a very safe 10 pound 93 tune. And my car is a super heavy 2SS with a sun roof and a 3.73 ZL1 diff (replacing my stock 1LE 3.91).

@ 4 pounds of boost I was running 11.9s at 118 MPH
@ 6 pounds my best was 11.613 @ 119 MPH
@ 10 pounds my best so far is 11.423 @ 113 where I hit the rev limiter in 3rd. My 60 was a disappointing 1.894. My usual MPH is 124-127.

But ever since the 10 pound tune Ive been burning out clutches and breaking diffs. Looking forward to the fall. Also I am fighting the on/off nature of 2 disc clutches. My best 60s were with the stock clutch and NT 555Rs (low 1.7s). I have not come close to those numbers with my current MT Street ET Streets.

What is more interesting than my times is the rock star effect of this car. The real racers are always coming by and checking out my car once they hear it. The kids give me thumbs up and many Facebook pics are kids in or in front of my car. The crowd loves the way I start out slow and accelerate so hard in the 2nd half of the 1/4. Running down cars with impossible head starts. A number of them always come down to see my car. The young turbo guys also dig this car. My cell flashlight is on every Test and Tune night for the find the turbo game. Also the announcer knows my car and predicts the cars he thinks I can run down.

So with a similar Centri or PD blower I might be 1 or 2 tenths faster but would I have as much fun with my car? I do not think so and that is why we do this, right? And I need less time between runs than the guys with blowers. And My MPG is about stock with a rich tune and 615+ RWHP. 26+ MPG average NJ to Florida and back with the 3.91 diff.

If I want 10s, all I need is a new pump, maybe a Meth kit, and a tune. But are 10s really needed in the street lanes? I would be running all alone most nights. As it is I surprise lots of Mustangs who want to race my chubby, slow SS. They usually hear me coming.

Last edited by Fraxum; 08-26-2015 at 03:27 PM.
Fraxum is offline   Reply With Quote