Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 03-05-2021, 06:37 AM   #15
gunchamp

Drives: 15 Camaro SS
Flowmasters sound awesome. Problem is they flow poorly, the chambered versions, and they drone something fierce. I always loved the sound but there are much better options out there these days as far as performance goes
15 Camaro SS- GPI max top end, ESS Vortech V3 9psi, ID 1050s, ZL1 pump, JMS bap, Long tubes, Corsa extreme, Circle D pro 5C, 391 rear, DSS carbon drive shaft, poly cradle bushings, tuned by Ted Jannetty and much much more
gunchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 06:38 AM   #16
gunchamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdumogre View Post
Is there any proof to that? That’s what I’m wondering
There are videos out there of guys losing massive power with forced induction cars when running the old chambered flowmaster. Working currently, but if i have time, ill dig some up
15 Camaro SS- GPI max top end, ESS Vortech V3 9psi, ID 1050s, ZL1 pump, JMS bap, Long tubes, Corsa extreme, Circle D pro 5C, 391 rear, DSS carbon drive shaft, poly cradle bushings, tuned by Ted Jannetty and much much more
Old 03-05-2021, 06:50 AM   #17
JD555

Drives: 2014 2SS RS, 6 sp man
I had one put on my truck and the sound level was great but with the windows up at 70 the drone vibrated your ears to the point it would give you ahead ache. I never saw anything like it. After 3 days I had to get it off.
JD555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 07:12 AM   #18
joekono

Drives: Camaro Convertible 2014 1LT
Screw the haters, if you like your Camaro the way it is, so be it. If you have a doubt or wondering why, as you can see, you have great feedback on this forum. I would also would worry about any performance drops before I worry about sound first, but that's just me.
Old 03-05-2021, 07:30 AM   #19
Silver14

Drives: 2014 SIM 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunchamp View Post
Flowmasters sound awesome. Problem is they flow poorly, the chambered versions, and they drone something fierce. I always loved the sound but there are much better options out there these days as far as performance goes

The sure do sound great and drone a lot. Some people are into the drone, as others have said it reminds them of the old school muscle car sound. I had a few 5.0 notchbacks, they all had Flowmasters
Silver14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 07:47 AM   #20
gunchamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver14 View Post
The sure do sound great and drone a lot. Some people are into the drone, as others have said it reminds them of the old school muscle car sound. I had a few 5.0 notchbacks, they all had Flowmasters
Exactly. Ive ran flowmasters on many of my older cars. Wife hated the drone, but they sounded amazing. I moved onto spintech in a blown Fbody I had. Was the 4" mufflex system. Chambered muffler, but sounded amazing. These days I'm loving my Corsa to no end. Zero drone and insanely loud when you want it. Glad we all have so many choices
Old 03-05-2021, 07:47 AM   #21
TheFlyingBananaSS
Evil Genius of Chevrolet

Drives: 2017 Z06, 2019 XTS, 2013 SS
I had super 10's on my car and the sound was really good. The drone was terrible and forced me to remove them. On my Monte SS they were great and had no drone.
GPI SS2 VVT cam, ECS Novi 1500 supercharger, Corsa Extreme, Detroit Speed and BMR suspension, Circle D triple disc, Melling oil pump, LS2 chain tensioner, ATI 10% UD, DSX E85 kit, High Energy coils, BTR springs, LS2 Lifter trays, Titanium retainers, hardened push rods, FIC 1000 injectors, ZL1 pump, Mighty Mouse catch can, AEM gauges, Tial BOV, Richmond 3.91 gears, Custom gauge bezels, Speed Engineering headers, Stainless Works HF cats, DSX Aux pump, 710rwhp on E85.
TheFlyingBananaSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 07:53 AM   #22
Silver14

Drives: 2014 SIM 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunchamp View Post
Exactly. Ive ran flowmasters on many of my older cars. Wife hated the drone, but they sounded amazing. I moved onto spintech in a blown Fbody I had. Was the 4" mufflex system. Chambered muffler, but sounded amazing. These days I'm loving my Corsa to no end. Zero drone and insanely loud when you want it. Glad we all have so many choices

People like the drone so much, they cruise around in it. I hear a Flowmaster and it's like a wayback memory machine to the 90s when everyone had them . Now my preference is as quiet as possible.
Silver14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 07:56 AM   #23
RupertPupkin

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS 1Le
Quote:
People like the drone so much, they cruise around in it. I hear a Flowmaster and it's like a wayback memory machine to the 90s when everyone had them . Now my preference is as quiet as possible.
If you want to talk about drone, try running Dynamax bullet mufflers with no cats and headers. I loved every minute of it.
730whp: 630Trq
RupertPupkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 07:58 AM   #24
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by morepowerjoe View Post
When you guys talk about drone, are you talking about the sound the l99 makes when it goes in the 4 cylinder mode or something else?
if you have them on your car cruise on an interstate at about 75-80.youll hear it.just gets tiresome after a while,hard to hold conversations with a passenger.you had to raise your voice to be heard in my old pontiac.
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 08:03 AM   #25
Bigdumogre

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD555 View Post
I had one put on my truck and the sound level was great but with the windows up at 70 the drone vibrated your ears to the point it would give you ahead ache. I never saw anything like it. After 3 days I had to get it off.
The newer ones don’t drone like that anymore. The ones I have now have some cruising drone but nothing like the old school ones. My 78 firebird used to drone and vibrate so hard it was unbearable.

I did the headers and exhaust plus tune all at once so it felt much quicker. Would it be slightly quicker with a different exhaust? That’s what I’m wondering lol.

I mean I’ve seen high flow cat videos that gained 10whp when they gutted them but those cars where already hitting almost 1000 whp so 10 isent that big of a deal. But at my level it is
2012 Camaro 2SS/RS - CSP Custom Cam 232/240 .615/.615 113 +3, Texas speed CNC heads, FTI billet triple disc converter, K&N cai, Katech ported TB, GPI Ported/rod modded manifold, Texas speed 1 7/8 headers, HFC, Flowmaster 2 chambers with x pipe, Mishimoto CC, MSD wires, Roto fab washer relocation, tru cool 40k trans cooler, apex scoop, Pedders extreme coil overs and much more!!
Bigdumogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 08:04 AM   #26
RupertPupkin

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS 1Le
Quote:
Originally Posted by morepowerjoe View Post
When you guys talk about drone, are you talking about the sound the l99 makes when it goes in the 4 cylinder mode or something else?
If you’re asking then you haven’t heard it. Drone is like a loud reverberating hum. Just wears you out if you’re not used to it.
730whp: 630Trq
RupertPupkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 08:13 AM   #27
xc_SS/RS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Check out some of the EngineMasters muffler tests. Pretty sure they check flowmasters (or at least the chinese equivalent chambered muffler) against turbo and straight through mufflers. Chambered ones definitely restrict flow, but i think turbos are worse
Z/28 intake, NW, FAST 102, speed engineering LT's, some exhaust, ATI -10% pulley, GM flex fuel injectors, DSX flex fuel sensor, MGW shifter, HP Tuners, some suspension work, stickers and a little weight loss. 12.63 @113.53
xc_SS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 08:14 AM   #28
gunchamp

Quote:
The older I get, the less interested I am in things like drone. I will say I love my current setup, although cold start ups can be a bit much. Funny, there was a time in my life where I wouldnt have cared, but I actually start the car in the mornings with the garage door closed. I leave for work early and feel bad for the couple neighbors I have lol. Ah, getting older and having kids normally knocks the fight out of most of us