Drives: 1980 Z28 Big Red.
Very cool👍
Scottyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 07:23 PM   #45
pauly1119

Drives: 2018 ZLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFV1LE View Post
...and canards, lighter and wider track wheels, solid rear mounts, and the way it was all fine tuned though wind tunnel and track testing to work in unison. This ZLE package is the best performance bargain in the world.
Agreed 100% especially if you try to buy all the parts separately.
pauly1119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 11:43 AM   #46
Idaho2018GTPremium

Drives: 2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
I'm bringing this back from the dead since I happened on it today. Original poster - what did you end up getting?

The Model 3 Performance is not quicker (acceleration) nor faster (top speed) than a ZL1 or ZLE. The only thing a Model 3 performance could beat a ZL1 is off the line and the feel of an initial throttle stab due to the instant torque. Once they are rolling its no contest, however.

As someone else posted, the EVs fall on their face pretty badly as speeds climb.

Car and Driver tests:

Model 3 Performance Dual Motor:
0-60: 3.5 sec
0-100: 8.9 sec (60-100 mph in 5.4 sec - slower than an SS, actually)
60-130 mph: 13.6 sec (also quite a bit slower than an SS)
1/4 mile: 12.1 @ 114 mph

ZL1 A10
0-60: 3.4 sec
0-100: 7.4 sec (60-100 mph in 4.0 sec)
60-130: 9.0 sec
1/4 mile: 11.5 @ 125 mph (Motorweek went 11.5 @ 127 mph, for comparison). The ZLE tested by C&D in the vs GT500 vs Redeye Hellcat had the same times as the ZL1, except trapped 124 mph in the 1/4 mile.

Four things:
1) Large discrepancy in trap speeds (114 vs 125 mph) shows how much more power the ZL1 is making over the 3
2) 60-130 time difference is 51% - which means the ZL1 accelerates 51% quicker than a Model 3 performance in a long highway roll.
3) 60-100 time of 5.4 sec vs 4.0 sec means the ZL1 is accelerating 35% quicker at midrange speeds.
4) The model 3 is one of the most aerodynamic cars you can buy, and it still doesn't make up for its lack of power vs. the ZL1 at moderate and high speeds.

And those acceleration figures for the Model 3 are all ideal circumstances: warmed-up, fully charged battery, etc.

Off the line, yeah, the Model 3 is strong, instant torque and AWD, and maybe at the initial jab of the throttle at speed it will feel really strong, too. But the ZL1 will surpass it momentarily.

Past:
2018 Mustang GT Premium w/ PP1, MR, and A10
2007 MazdaSpeed3
1995 Pontiac Trans Am
1987 Camaro Z28

Idaho2018GTPremium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 12:10 PM   #47
JBinSD

Drives: '23 LT Vert M6'16 Hyper 2SS Vert MT
I sold my '16 2SS M6 Vert to buy a Model 3 Performance, and man, I really regret selling my Camaro; it had so much soul and connection. My wife and daughter loved doing Sunday top-down, back-road, tunes-blaring cruises. They refuse to go with me in the Tesla. It is "too fast" and "makes them sick".
The instant power and precise handling of the Tesla is undeniable, and not buying gas, nor polluting the planet, are great things. I still will buy another Camaro, but right now the used market is insanely high.
Once Covid is under control, and the current administration kicks in larger and larger gas taxes, I predict V-8s are going to fall out of fashion for the general public, as tiny turbo 4's and EV's take over. I just don't know if I can wait that long to snap up a snarling V-8 with a manual tranny and a drop-top.
I drove my Tesla down to a dealer to test drive a '21 2SS vert, and I couldn't trade it in; I want both now, as the strengths and practicality of the Tesla are undeniable; I need to soul connection of the V-8 for my weekend romps in the hills. In a commute or "real world" driving, I'll take the Model 3; hell it drove me home in stop and go traffic, turning, accelerating and braking its own, and fed itself on my solar panels.
Each has pleasure and purpose. Some of you forget, Tesla is the "other American Muscle" car.
JBinSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 12:29 PM   #48
ZX-10R

Drives: 2019 ZL1 Riverside
Like you said, it's driving an appliance. There are advantages but you sell your soul to blend into the sea of grey and be part of the system. Pretty soon everyone will buy, sell, and trade via "666", and there will be advantages to that, too - but you can count me out
ZX-10R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 03:58 PM   #49
gtfoxy
Account Suspended

Drives: '21 Wild Cherry ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBinSD View Post
I sold my '16 2SS M6 Vert to buy a Model 3 Performance, and man, I really regret selling my Camaro; it had so much soul and connection. My wife and daughter loved doing Sunday top-down, back-road, tunes-blaring cruises. They refuse to go with me in the Tesla. It is "too fast" and "makes them sick".
The instant power and precise handling of the Tesla is undeniable, and not buying gas, nor polluting the planet, are great things. I still will buy another Camaro, but right now the used market is insanely high.
Once Covid is under control, and the current administration kicks in larger and larger gas taxes, I predict V-8s are going to fall out of fashion for the general public, as tiny turbo 4's and EV's take over. I just don't know if I can wait that long to snap up a snarling V-8 with a manual tranny and a drop-top.
I drove my Tesla down to a dealer to test drive a '21 2SS vert, and I couldn't trade it in; I want both now, as the strengths and practicality of the Tesla are undeniable; I need to soul connection of the V-8 for my weekend romps in the hills. In a commute or "real world" driving, I'll take the Model 3; hell it drove me home in stop and go traffic, turning, accelerating and braking its own, and fed itself on my solar panels.
Each has pleasure and purpose. Some of you forget, Tesla is the "other American Muscle" car.
Where do you get your electricity from to charge it?
gtfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 07:26 PM   #50
Ademarco

Drives: 18 Ford Raptor, 21 2SS 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfoxy View Post
Where do you get your electricity from to charge it?
I would imagine solar panels on the house. I have 2 gas guzzlers, but like stated above, the Tesla is soulless and might as well just call an Uber to drive you around. Pretty soon we all won’t be allowed to drive and an autopilot car will be transporting us around “for our safety.” I prefer something that can call up all my senses and the sounds you get from the V8 don’t compare when mashing on that go pedal. I used to have a couple of Volts and they were great for daily to work, but got rid of them when I started working from home.
Ademarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 10:42 PM   #51
MoreSpeed

Drives: 2017 Hyper Blue A10 ZL1
My friend bought a 3 and loves it. However, the tires stunk as they came from the factory. They were more geared toward mileage versus performance. His big issue was no dealer network. He has to flatbed it to Boston if something goes wrong.

Sold 2010 997 GT3, 2016 WRX, 2006 997 C2S, 2003 996 C4S, 2001 Boxster S, 1997 E420 AMG
etc..
MoreSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 11:00 AM   #52
Bangkok_ZL1
ZL1 Believer

Drives: 2019 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ademarco View Post
I would imagine solar panels on the house. I have 2 gas guzzlers, but like stated above, the Tesla is soulless and might as well just call an Uber to drive you around. Pretty soon we all won’t be allowed to drive and an autopilot car will be transporting us around “for our safety.” I prefer something that can call up all my senses and the sounds you get from the V8 don’t compare when mashing on that go pedal. I used to have a couple of Volts and they were great for daily to work, but got rid of them when I started working from home.
Yeah, it lacks body lines, but he won't respect your speed at the stoplight. He'll leave you standing still. You'll have to let him go or look bad as he walks away from you. I considered a tesla as it was in the showroom, but here's my beef. The battery wears down like my iphone. Now a full charge is only 85% of what it was new 2 1/2 years ago. And when you're touring (for work) 50 to 500 miles a day depending, that's just not gonna cut it. Also, the sound, and passing ability, of that LT-4, and the looks of the ZL-1 while touring is a thing of beauty. It's just too much fun here in Northern Thailand. With the Only 6Gen ZL-1 in this country, people look at my car like its a space ship. Wait till I get my order from Andersons, LOL!!!

Last edited by Bangkok_ZL1; 01-31-2021 at 11:38 PM.
Bangkok_ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 12:53 PM   #53
Ademarco

Drives: 18 Ford Raptor, 21 2SS 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bangkok_ZL1 View Post
Yeah, it lacks body lines, but he won't respect your speed at the stoplight. He'll leave you standing still. You'll have to let him go or look bad as he walks away from you. I considered a tesla as it was in the showroom, but here's my beef. The battery wears down like my iphone. Now a full charge is only 85% of what it was new 2 1/2 years ago. And when you're touring (for work) 50 to 500 miles a day depending, that's just not gonna cut it. But the sound, and passing ability, of that LT-4, and the looks of the ZL-1 while touring is a thing of beauty. It's just too much fun here in Northern Thailand. With the Only 6Gen ZL-1 in this country, people look at my car like its a space ship. Wait till I get my order from Andersons, LOL!!!
When I’m in Thailand, I just let other people drive me around. Never been to northern Thailand, but probably fun to have a sports car in the country. I would probably prefer to have my Raptor since the streets get flooded and have more clearance as it rained a lot.
Ademarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 02:19 PM   #54
TRZ06

Drives: 22' Porsche PDK GT4
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBinSD View Post
The real environmental impact of EV's is not yet realized. Once we have to start mass disposing of those batteries, then we can say whether we should have stuck with ICE or not.

There is no free lunch, there will always be an environmental impact, it just shifts as to at what point in the process it is at.

Previous:
18' NFG 2SS 1LE (ZL1 1LE solid rear cradle bushings & Corsa Exhaust)
16' F80 M3 (Ohlin R/T Coilovers)
13' Audi TTRS (APR Stage 1, MSS Springs)
09' C6 Z06
08' E90 M3
06' 335i (KW V2 Coilovers)
03' C5 Z06
TRZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 02:34 PM   #55
Idaho2018GTPremium

Drives: 2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRZ06 View Post
The real environmental impact of EV's is not yet realized. Once we have to start mass disposing of those batteries, then we can say whether we should have stuck with ICE or not.

There is no free lunch, there will always be an environmental impact, it just shifts as to at what point in the process it is at.
I agree, however, EV battery reuse is already a thing. After they wear out in a car, they can be reused in applications that require less draw, like low power applications.

However, I completely agree, I don't think the world governments and corporations, and it's [mostly uneducated or incompetent] citizens who blindly follow what is fed to them through their gov't leaders or biased media have considered the ramifications of EVs:

1) The massive natural resources and land mining for precious metals required to make 10s of millions of batteries per year and subsequent transportation of those resources.
2) The fact that many, many places still get power from coal
3) The fact that many, many places do not have the power infrastructure to handle 10s of millions of EVs and the daily charge required
4) Disposal after reuse. At least with ICEs the metal engines can be melted and reused, WTH are they going to do with 100s of milions of EV batteries starting in a decade or two? That alone scares the begeezus out of me for the environment.
5) Tesla mastered this whole EV thing, and everyone else is following, playing catchup -- the ENTIRE WORLD!!! Do we really want a vehicle infrastructure that Elon Musk mastered simply for profit? For Pete's sake.

Everyone thinks that just because the car isn't polluting while it's driving, that it has minimal environmental impact. That couldn't be further from the truth.

Past:
2018 Mustang GT Premium w/ PP1, MR, and A10
2007 MazdaSpeed3
1995 Pontiac Trans Am
1987 Camaro Z28

Idaho2018GTPremium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 11:56 PM   #56
Bangkok_ZL1
ZL1 Believer

Drives: 2019 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ademarco View Post
When I’m in Thailand, I just let other people drive me around. Never been to northern Thailand, but probably fun to have a sports car in the country. I would probably prefer to have my Raptor since the streets get flooded and have more clearance as it rained a lot.
Country???........ as in Thailand or countryside of Thailand. In Bangkok, one of the richest cities in the world. Tons of nice (sport) cars everywhere, Ferrari's, Lambos, Bentleys, Lotus, Austin, Masarati, Porsche has a big footprint here, and so does BMW. Ford is also doing very good here. I don't know why Chevrolet pulled out of here. I'd like to see the numbers they're looking at. Chevrolet appeared to be doing good here. Here in more the countryside, BMW is what most see for nice car. But yeah, people here in the countryside just gawk at my car. And I can see them mouthing to their partner..... Chevrolet,,, really?... LOL
Bangkok_ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote