Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 07-21-2020, 06:04 PM   #1
Krawl

Drives: Looking...
New to the track and autocross

So I picked up a ZL1 to play around with. I want to do some track days and autocross. What are some essentials that are needed for each? I just want to make sure I have everything I need and I want to be safe. I also dont want to sign up and fail inspection for whatever reason. I also might get competitive with it one day so I dont want to do something that I might have to redo at some point.

Thanks guys...

-Krawl
Krawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 07:14 PM   #2
5inn

Drives: N/A
Tech inspection for autocross is pretty easy especially in a car as new as a ZL1.

The main things they'll check:
Battery securely mounted
Pedals have no play
No fluid leaks
Wheel bearings have no play
Tires not showing any cords
No loose items in the car

You'll also need a helmet. Clubs usually have loaners but during Covid times, clubs here have banned them. A Snell SA2010 or M2010 rated helmet or newer is usually what's required. If you're going to do track, I'd suggest SA.

For track safety, if you're planning on just using the stock 3 point belt most people will recommend this Hans that works with 3 points https://www.simpsonraceproducts.com/...mpson-hybrid-s

You'll also want some fresh DOT 4 for track. If you're doing frequent track days most people will suggest something like Castrol SRF. Not sure what the stock brake pads are on the ZL1 but if you bought it used, probably worth replacing for some fresh pads.
Old 07-21-2020, 08:05 PM   #3
olblue75

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
5inn gave really good suggestions car wise but remember what you need to take with you to the track.
Cooler
Ice
Water/snacks
Some kind of pop up shade/tent
Tq wrench for checking between rounds/sessions
Socket for lugs (you’d be surprised)
Car fluids and funnel/pump
Basic tools
Rags
Glass cleaner
Gloves/sunglasses
Change of clothes for the hot season ( no shorts while driving)
I bought a DeWalt battery powered fan that thing is the bomb and will run dam near ten hours off one charge
Tire gauge
Plug in air compressor
Zip ties and duct tape
Jack, pucks, and stands if you have room or if you trailer or have a small trailer
Also those cooling rags while you drive wrapped around your neck, again when it’s hot (again you’d be surprised)
Go Pro and mounts if you have one, it’s really cool to watch later and a laptop to down load them to if a 2 day event at the hotel
I’m sure I’m missing a lot or listed to much an also others will add to the list, after a few trips you’ll figure out works best for you on your pack out box.
1LE Front sway bar, Splitter, shocks and struts, Z28 dual mode mufflers, Intake, UCA Bushings, and Toresen 3.91 Diff. 1 piece DSS Drive Shaft, ZL1/C7 Calipers, and 32mm JPSS Rear Bar. ASC race spec splitter and wicker. 6th Gen M017 Wheels. Stainless Works 1 7/8 LTs. DSE and PAFDT Suspension components.

Last edited by olblue75; 02-19-2021 at 12:02 PM.
olblue75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 08:22 PM   #4
Krawl

Didnt even think about most of those. Thank you.

On the helmet, what is the difference?

I am thinking of adding a cage with harnesses. We are dealers for most harness brands. On the cage, does it need to be steel or chromoly?

I believe the brake fluid is changed. Not sure on the pads. Car is used and I believe it had been tracked before.

-Krawl
Old 07-21-2020, 09:46 PM   #5
olblue75

RSR Studios I think for the cage an can get in either steel or chromemoly.

https://studiorsr.com/collections/ca...roll-bar-gen-6
1LE Front sway bar, Splitter, shocks and struts, Z28 dual mode mufflers, Intake, UCA Bushings, and Toresen 3.91 Diff. 1 piece DSS Drive Shaft, ZL1/C7 Calipers, and 32mm JPSS Rear Bar. ASC race spec splitter and wicker. 6th Gen M017 Wheels. Stainless Works 1 7/8 LTs. DSE and PAFDT Suspension components.
Old 07-22-2020, 07:37 AM   #6
5inn

Drives: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krawl View Post

I am thinking of adding a cage with harnesses. We are dealers for most harness brands. On the cage, does it need to be steel or chromoly?

I believe the brake fluid is changed. Not sure on the pads. Car is used and I believe it had been tracked before.

-Krawl
Quote:
The biggest element that separates a “SA” rated helmet from an “M” rated is flame resistance. This is the helmets ability to withstand exposure to a direct flame. The “SA” helmets flame resistance could very well save the life of a driver involved in a crash with fire involved, each second is critical when fire is thrown into the equation. While you may walk away from a crash wearing an “M” rated helmet remember this, that helmet was designed and tested with the idea of it being worn on a motorcycle and not strapped down inside a steel cage.
M is fine for autocross. I've worn one on track too but if you're going to buy one it might as well be an SA if you have plans to do both.
Old 07-23-2020, 12:43 PM   #7
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Quote:

-Krawl
1. Change the brake fkuid to SRF since you are not sure what's there now. If it is a regular DOT3 and you boil it, you will lose brakes and it will end in big tears.
2. Get a proper SA rated helmet. Buy as recent date as available. Helmets expire every 10 yrs and most orgs will not permit you to run with an expired helmet. Nor an M rated helmet. Look for 2020 certified or at least 2015 which will get ya another 5 yrs. The date should be prominent inside a helmet.
3. Think twice about a roll bar/cage if you intent to drive the car on a street. In some parts these are illegal. Besides, having steel pipes around your head without a helmet is not a good idea. To properly install a 5 or 6 point harness you will also have to install a seat that is designed for that (a proper race seat). This means you will lose the benefits of the multiple stock airbags. So lots to consider here safety wise, as you could be reducing vs increasing safety depending on how you use the car, whether you trailer it, etc.

Cheers!
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 05:14 PM   #8
Krawl

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackClub View Post
1. Change the brake fkuid to SRF since you are not sure what's there now. If it is a regular DOT3 and you boil it, you will lose brakes and it will end in big tears.
2. Get a proper SA rated helmet. Buy as recent date as available. Helmets expire every 10 yrs and most orgs will not permit you to run with an expired helmet. Nor an M rated helmet. Look for 2020 certified or at least 2015 which will get ya another 5 yrs. The date should be prominent inside a helmet.
3. Think twice about a roll bar/cage if you intent to drive the car on a street. In some parts these are illegal. Besides, having steel pipes around your head without a helmet is not a good idea. To properly install a 5 or 6 point harness you will also have to install a seat that is designed for that (a proper race seat). This means you will lose the benefits of the multiple stock airbags. So lots to consider here safety wise, as you could be reducing vs increasing safety depending on how you use the car, whether you trailer it, etc.

Cheers!
Good point on the cage. The car is just a weekend toy. We have had it 6 months and never been to the track due to COVID but we have put 1500 miles on it. I have seen guys keep the stock seats with a cage. What is everyone's take? We sell all different kinds of seats and I thought about swapping but the stockers are so comfortable! Also we are in SC so as long as you pay your car tax, pretty much anything goes. Lol

Back to the helmet. We also sell helmets that can have 2 way coms in them. Any one ever use them for track days or to talk back to the paddock? What about air pumpers? I know over kill on both but I am also building a rock buggy and we have a Ultra4 race car. The race car I would use it for as well as the buggy so why not on the Camaro? Anyone ever use this type of helmet in the car for autocross or truck days?

-Krawl
Old 07-24-2020, 05:39 PM   #9
TrackClub

Quote:
Good point on the cage. The car is just a weekend toy. We have had it 6 months and never been to the track due to COVID but we have put 1500 miles on it. I have seen guys keep the stock seats with a cage. What is everyone's take? We sell all different kinds of seats and I thought about swapping but the stockers are so comfortable! Also we are in SC so as long as you pay your car tax, pretty much anything goes. Lol

Back to the helmet. We also sell helmets that can have 2 way coms in them. Any one ever use them for track days or to talk back to the paddock? What about air pumpers? I know over kill on both but I am also building a rock buggy and we have a Ultra4 race car. The race car I would use it for as well as the buggy so why not on the Camaro? Anyone ever use this type of helmet in the car for autocross or truck days?

-Krawl
Review the break in procedure before you take it to the track. Suggest you change oil and diff fluids before.
Plus put DOT4 brake fluid.

Comm helmets are nice not to speak to the paddock but your instructor. No idea what air pump is, unless you are referring to tires.

If it is a weekend toy for you, think twice about the cage. Stock seats and harnesses do NOT mix. Even tho some made them "work" it is not an optimal safety solution for damn sure. And nobody knows what will really happen until they wreck. As far as cage vs stock, i subscribe to "go all the way" (and trailer a car), or stay stock and rely on many airbags etc. But that's my private opinion.

Cheers!
Old 07-24-2020, 05:53 PM   #10
Krawl

The car is used. It has a total of 4500 miles on it now. I think I will swap the fluid as I am not 100% certain what is in there but I think it has been changed. What is the recommended brand?

Do instructors run coms? Air pump is a way to pump fresh air in the helmet. I guess not really needed in the car but we use them in the desert and stuff so we can breath fresh clean air.

I didn't think about the harnesses. Your right, if they are not setup right in a rollover, they can do a lot more damage. Humm... I know at one point people were having a issue swapping seats into the ZL1. Did they ever get that fixed or have a way to do so?

-Krawl
Old 07-24-2020, 07:33 PM   #11
TrackClub

Quote:
The car is used. It has a total of 4500 miles on it now. I think I will swap the fluid as I am not 100% certain what is in there but I think it has been changed. What is the recommended brand?

Do instructors run coms? Air pump is a way to pump fresh air in the helmet. I guess not really needed in the car but we use them in the desert and stuff so we can breath fresh clean air.

I didn't think about the harnesses. Your right, if they are not setup right in a rollover, they can do a lot more damage. Humm... I know at one point people were having a issue swapping seats into the ZL1. Did they ever get that fixed or have a way to do so?

-Krawl
Check the owner's manual re fluids. Apart from that i use SRF for brakes.

Re harness, there is tons more to consider in addition to a roll over. There is a good reason why race seats have cut outs for them and stock seats dont. Proper geometry re shoulders vs harness belts is crucial. Lest they dont work as intended.

No first hand experience swapping seats. From what i recall, air bags sensors are in them. If you yank them out they likely wont work. Plus you may get a code. But best to ask it in a seperate thread and get advice from somebody that has actuallu done it. Cheers!
Old 07-27-2020, 12:18 PM   #12
olblue75

Duct tape and zip ties as well.
Old 02-19-2021, 12:03 PM   #13
olblue75

Doing a Bump on this since its buried kinda deep from last year and feel free to add to the list.
Old 02-19-2021, 03:11 PM   #14
BMR Sales

Drives: Race Car
my Helmet has a Racing Radios set-up so I can either talk to a Student or switch to talk to pits

Make sure the helmet you buy has HANS Clips. I use a Simpson Hybrid Pro Lite - it's comfortable and you can use it with 3 Point Belts

https://www.simpsonraceproducts.com/...ybrid-pro-lite
BMR Sales is offline   Reply With Quote