Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro Convertible

AWE Tuning

Old 07-21-2017, 08:08 PM   #1
somedude

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LT Convertible Auto V6
Convertible Top Lubrication Maintenance

Hello, new member and was wondering if anyone has or is planning on lubricating the moving parts of the convertible top. I have done some research and did not find much other than a you tube video titled "Convertible Top Maintenance - Goss's Garage"
Any tips and suggestions would really help. I owned a 2002 c230 kompressor coupe and did not lubricate the panoramic roof, one day I tried to open it and heard a loud bang and never got it open again and was very expensive to fix. I heard a small bang when putting the top down on my new Camaro everything works fine and has not happened again. Below is the link to the video.

somedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 08:21 AM   #2
Bigdog9586

Drives: 2016 Z06 coupe
I haven't really thought about it but it makes sense to me.
Bigdog9586 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 09:24 AM   #3
camaromike77

Drives: S O L D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdog9586 View Post
I haven't really thought about it but it makes sense to me.
Ditto here.........
Borla S-Type exhaust NPP| GM CAI | Color matched GM side skirts | Color matched 3rd brake light | Big Worm Graphics smoked out tail lights & rear reflectors | Oracle ghosted side markers | LED License plate bulbs | Door striker covers | Jam handle | Engine emblems from RiverCity Creations | 50th Center Console | Black bow ties | Hawk Performance ceramic brake pads | ZL1 Start button | CQuartz ceramic paint finish | Novistretch bra | S O L D
camaromike77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 12:51 PM   #4
Chutzpah

Drives: Wild Cherry LT1
Great question, I'm not certain I'm using the absolute best lubes on mine, but I've had great luck with the following products.

I plan on lubing the hinges twice a season. Takes 15 minutes or less..

Superlube (on q tip) sliding tracks
Blaster garage door lubricant (on q tip) - hinges
Eco Touch Tire Shine- Rubber

Super LubeŽ Grease is a patented synthetic NLGI grade 2 heavy-duty, multipurpose lubricant with PTFE. Synthetic base fluids and the addition of PTFE micro powders combine to form a premium lubricant that provides longer life protection against friction, wear, rust and corrosion. Machinery lasts longer, downtime is reduced, and productivity is increased. Super LubeŽ is compatible with most other lubricants and will not run, drip, evaporate or form gummy deposits, and will not melt or separate.

Blaster Garage Door Lubricant is a silicone-based lubricant that leaves a tack-free film that won’t accumulate dust and dirt. Formulated with Teflon Fluoropolymer to help reduce friction and wear. In some instances, its extreme pressure agents make it a suitable replacement for grease. It effectively helps stop squeaks associated with garage doors and mechanisms.

Teflon fluoropolymer reduces friction and wear
Won't accumulate dust and dirt
Quiets noisy operation
Lubricates and helps protect against rust
Non-conductive
Water repellant
Info & Guides
Chutzpah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 03:19 PM   #5
somedude

Great list and information Chutzpah, I am not sure what Chevy recommends and I could not find the information in the manual, but if it works good on your Convertible I will give it a try. Can I purchase the products at my local auto parts store or online only? When I get my first oil change I will ask what they use or recommend. I will take a closer look today and look for the lube points you mentioned. Thanks for the info.
Old 07-22-2017, 10:36 PM   #6
Chutzpah

I buy most everything from amazon, it's easier for me. As far as what works for the vert, I figure something is better than nothing. The products I mentioned have done me right for other applications ( there may be better products)When lubing the hinges I spray a liberal amount of blaster into a plastic container to dip my q tip. Soak the qtip well and lay across the top of the hinged sections. Gravity allows the lube to drop down into the hinge with no mess. You'll have to move the top incrementally to achieve full lubrication. IE press the start button with foot off brake for 10 or so seconds and adjust top too where you need it.

After moving the top a number of time - You may get a low battery or high temp alert that won't allow you to move your top. Low battery, start car; high temp wait ten minutes and recycle the top.

I have 3000 miles on my car, so take what a I say as a recommendation and not gospel, there's no definitive answers on this subject.

Last edited by Chutzpah; 07-22-2017 at 10:50 PM.
Old 07-22-2017, 10:53 PM   #7
somedude

Exactly! it has to be better than not lubricating at all, I would hate to have the top give out and cant imagine how much the repair would be, Thanks again Chutzpah.
Old 11-22-2017, 10:35 AM   #8
77vetter

Drives: 17 Red Hot RS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chutzpah View Post
Great question, I'm not certain I'm using the absolute best lubes on mine, but I've had great luck with the following products.

I plan on lubing the hinges twice a season. Takes 15 minutes or less..

Superlube (on q tip) sliding tracks
Blaster garage door lubricant (on q tip) - hinges
Eco Touch Tire Shine- Rubber

Super LubeŽ Grease is a patented synthetic NLGI grade 2 heavy-duty, multipurpose lubricant with PTFE. Synthetic base fluids and the addition of PTFE micro powders combine to form a premium lubricant that provides longer life protection against friction, wear, rust and corrosion. Machinery lasts longer, downtime is reduced, and productivity is increased. Super LubeŽ is compatible with most other lubricants and will not run, drip, evaporate or form gummy deposits, and will not melt or separate.

Blaster Garage Door Lubricant is a silicone-based lubricant that leaves a tack-free film that won’t accumulate dust and dirt. Formulated with Teflon Fluoropolymer to help reduce friction and wear. In some instances, its extreme pressure agents make it a suitable replacement for grease. It effectively helps stop squeaks associated with garage doors and mechanisms.

Teflon fluoropolymer reduces friction and wear
Won't accumulate dust and dirt
Quiets noisy operation
Lubricates and helps protect against rust
Non-conductive
Water repellant
Info & Guides

Seems like this would be a great youTube segment
77vetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 11:19 AM   #9
Mark114

Drives: 2016 2SS Convertible
I would pass on tire shine products for the rubber seals as they are not the same kind of rubber compound as a tire. The owner's manual suggests:

Applying silicone grease on weatherstrips with a clean cloth will make them last longer, seal better, and not stick or squeak.
Mark114 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 04:06 PM   #10
Chutzpah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark114 View Post
I would pass on tire shine products for the rubber seals as they are not the same kind of rubber compound as a tire. The owner's manual suggests:

Applying silicone grease on weatherstrips with a clean cloth will make them last longer, seal better, and not stick or squeak.
After review, I agree with Mark 114 on this.. I did quite a bit of research to find a decent rubber tire care product that was breathable. It’s not the best product for seals.

Last edited by Chutzpah; 11-27-2017 at 04:31 PM.
Old 11-27-2017, 07:22 AM   #11
77vetter

Drives: 17 Red Hot RS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chutzpah View Post
After review, I agree with somedude on this.. I did quite a bit of research to find a decent rubber tire care product that was breathable. It’s not the best product for seals.
SO I'm confused, are you saying we should NOT use tire shine products on the seals and instead SHOULD use silicone grease as per the manual ?
77vetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 07:37 AM   #12
CyberGuyPR

Drives: '16 vert 2LT RS NPP
I would also stay away from tire products for the weather seals. I've been using this for close to 10 years with great results: https://www.amazon.com/nextzett-9148.../dp/B004B8GTQG
CyberGuyPR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 04:14 PM   #13
Chutzpah

What I’m saying is I’ve had good luck with the product I specified earlier in the post (and used it sparingly, not shiny) However, if the manual says to use another product (specifically on seals), that’s what should be used. I can’t trump the manual...
Old 11-29-2017, 11:07 PM   #14
somedude

OK so I am getting ready to lubricate my convertible for the first time. I was cleaning out my garage and found a product that I have used to lubricate many parts in my older vehicles for years in the past with great results, I will be using it soon, any cons that you guys notice before I try it out? below is the link to the product(LPS 1 Greaseless Lubricant part #00116)

-Provides a dry, thin, lubricating film
-Resists oil, dust, and dirt build-up
-Ideal for delicate mechanisms
-Removes carbon build-up from surfaces
-Displaces moisture
-Safe on paint, fabric, and most plastics
-Used world-wide in aviation
-VOC compliant in all 50 states

http://www.lpslabs.com/product-details/560
https://www.amazon.com/LPS-Labs-0011.../dp/B000SKZI72