Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 03-27-2016, 08:38 PM   #1
backtotintops

Drives: 14 Z/28 0#
ring times

I looked here https://nurburgringlaptimes.com/lap-times-top-100/ and the Z is 41 then noticed the 350r is 33…hmmm I’m surprised I missed that. Then I checked here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...eife_lap_times and it is listed there also but no driver or verification??? I don’t doubt the car is faster as it should be considering the hype but is there an uncut video anywhere or is this time bogus speculation?
Old 03-27-2016, 10:28 PM   #2
sh233252

Drives: '14 Silverado LTZ, '11 Escape Ltd
I had this exact conversation in a local car forum in my area on Facebook. I also do not doubt it is faster than the Z/28 (as it should be as Ford knew the benchmark and are utilizing a new platform to do so). But the lack of verification (no driver indicated, no video footage) is the reason why this number is bogus to me.

A few questions I have are who ran the car? (Ford, private driver, etc). What was the weather conditions (as the Z/28 was timed in at least 1/3 wet course).

Again, I do not doubt its speed and ability, Id just like to see the facts/footage)
Old 03-27-2016, 11:12 PM   #3
Zslash28
Jumanji

Drives: '14 Z/28 - AGM - No A/C
That ford time was debunked, but lingers. Ford never released an official time or video. Ford did say that the car was faster iirc based on segmet times. Also, i believe Al. O. even stated that Chevrolet was there while they were testing, and knew who ran when and the unofficial times. I believe he also said that the Z/28 went faster than its 7:37.42 (iirc), but without video, they didnt feel right about making a faster claim.
That unofficial time started on some click bait site, and quickly because truth via social media and posted all over the net. Ford, didnt need to say anything as all the hype vaulted the GT350 to super car status while on the coat tails of the 350R while basking in the free publicity.
I track wrecked Z/28s Total lost -41
Zslash28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 04:52 AM   #4
URBAN LEGEND

Drives: 20 X3M CP & 19 ZL1 1LE A10
Ford doesn't care about Ring times. Ford on the record said there is no standard on car configurations for Ring times.
Old 03-28-2016, 08:41 AM   #5
JUSTIFIED

Drives: 2015 black Z/28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zslash28 View Post
That ford time was debunked, but lingers. Ford never released an official time or video. Ford did say that the car was faster iirc based on segmet times. Also, i believe Al. O. even stated that Chevrolet was there while they were testing, and knew who ran when and the unofficial times. I believe he also said that the Z/28 went faster than its 7:37.42 (iirc), but without video, they didnt feel right about making a faster claim.
That unofficial time started on some click bait site, and quickly because truth via social media and posted all over the net. Ford, didnt need to say anything as all the hype vaulted the GT350 to super car status while on the coat tails of the 350R while basking in the free publicity.

Yep, he definitely insinuated that the GT350R never ran the time that is floating around on the net. He also stated that the Z ran ~ 7:31 on a dry track and in this article http://www.motortrend.com/news/chevr...-r-comparison/ he stated that on a dry track it could run "neck in neck" with a 911 GT3 (7:25ish). Not sure how it could get from 7:31 to 7:25, however. Given the Motor Trend head to head at Chuckwalla, I'd venture to guess that the GT350R can run the ring at nearly the same time (or better) as the Z.
Old 03-28-2016, 05:56 PM   #6
Crushinator

Drives: '15 Z/28 #783
Bragging rights is all it is. No shit right? We've all seen the video of the Z/28 destroying the ZL1 by 10 full seconds up to the point it started raining, only to finish 4 seconds ahead. I'm sure the 350R could match or beat the Z/28. Does it really matter in the grand scheme of all things cars? To those that bleed ring times and talk about them at car shows, it sure does. To me, nah. I'm all about the look of the car and the driving experience. I have no doubt the GT350R can match or beat a Z/28 in any performance test. No doubt what-so-ever. But I don't really care for the look. The Z/28 looks meaner and more purpose built from every angle. The 350 looks good from the front, and the rest looks just like a Mustang GT.
Old 03-28-2016, 06:48 PM   #7
JUSTIFIED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crushinator View Post
Bragging rights is all it is. No shit right? We've all seen the video of the Z/28 destroying the ZL1 by 10 full seconds up to the point it started raining, only to finish 4 seconds ahead. I'm sure the 350R could match or beat the Z/28. Does it really matter in the grand scheme of all things cars? To those that bleed ring times and talk about them at car shows, it sure does. To me, nah. I'm all about the look of the car and the driving experience. I have no doubt the GT350R can match or beat a Z/28 in any performance test. No doubt what-so-ever. But I don't really care for the look. The Z/28 looks meaner and more purpose built from every angle. The 350 looks good from the front, and the rest looks just like a Mustang GT.
Totally agree re: lap times. It's nice to know our car can spank a lot of super cars, but most of will never be in a position to do so (and that would assume said super car doesn't have a superior driver). I too like the looks of Z/28 over the GT350. The Z/28 looks sinister and all business. I had quite a few guys trying to race me in my Boss and my ZL1. Not a SINGLE person has tried doing so since I've owned the Z/28. I don't street race anyway, but you know the types I'm talking about.

Last edited by JUSTIFIED; 03-29-2016 at 07:16 PM.
JUSTIFIED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 07:17 PM   #8
JUSTIFIED

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUSTIFIED View Post
Totally agree re: lap times. It's nice to know our car can spank a lot of super cars, but most of will never be in a position to do so (and that would assume said super car doesn't have a superior driver). I too like the looks of Z/28 over the GT350. The Z/28 looks sinister and all business. I had quite a few guys trying to race me in my Boss and my ZL1. Not a SINGLE person has tried doing so since I've owned the Z/28. I don't street race anyway, but you know the types I'm talking about.

Btw, I had never watched the vid of ZL1 and Z/28 with times shown side by side. Assuming the lead woud've continued to grow, it would seem that the Z/28 would've finished under 7:31. I read on fastestlaps.com that Mark Ruess was the driver of the ZL1. If so, that's pretty cool, but it might also explain why ZL1 was so far behind the Z/28 (meaning it's doubtful he as good on the ring as a chasis enginer (Adam Dean) who has prob driven around that track many, many times). However, in this article http://bridgetogantry.com/2/index.ph...he-camaro-z-28, Adam Dean says he never really backed off in the rain. Which is it? Did he back off or not? If not then why the 7:31 on a dry track and why did the ZL1 close the gap by 6 seconds? He had to have backed off some. No way you can push a car at the same pace in the rain. Hell, NASCAR drivers can't even do that w/out proper tires.
Old 04-01-2016, 10:47 PM   #9
The_Raging_Bull
Raging Bull Reborn

Drives: '09 CGM Z063LZ '15 RH Z/28 #0631
Chevy engineers have been quoted "off the record and unofficially" on other forums -> the Z/28 has run as low as 7:25 on the ring; which would place the car way on down the line at #21 or #22 - which btw is KTM X-Bow or Ferrari Enzo territory...and faster than Godzilla too..the GTR.Otherwise I agree the best published unofficial ring time is 7:31.

Toy 1 '15 RH Z/28 w/AC & Radio S/N 0631
Toy 2 '09 CGM Z06 3LZ
My DD: '17 Ford Mustang GT
Her DD: '14 F150 Ecoboost 3.5
The_Raging_Bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 09:23 AM   #10
JUSTIFIED

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Raging_Bull View Post
Chevy engineers have been quoted "off the record and unofficially" on other forums -> the Z/28 has run as low as 7:25 on the ring; which would place the car way on down the line at #21 or #22 - which btw is KTM X-Bow or Ferrari Enzo territory...and faster than Godzilla too..the GTR.Otherwise I agree the best published unofficial ring time is 7:31.

This is the article where Al O. says that the Z/28 could put down a ring time similar to a GT3 (7:25). http://www.motortrend.com/news/chevr...-r-comparison/.

In this Motor Trend article http://www.motortrend.com/news/2015-...t3-comparison/ Randy Pobst drove the GT3 around the 2.47 mile Willow Springs track in 1 min 27:22 seconds and the Z/28 in 1 min 29.72 seconds. Based on this, I find it very hard to believe the Z could get close to the GT3 ring time of 7:25. Ford and Chevy love playing head games with other I think both embellish numbers here and there to pysche each other out.
Old 04-02-2016, 11:47 AM   #11
JUSTIFIED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z28 HLR View Post
Who the hell do you think you are coming onto this forum and making assumptions of this nature??? Randy Pobst was also extremely ill that day and suffered from dementia and a severe case of the runs. In fact, if you watch the video carefully, you will see that he was pulled over to the side of the course and asleep in the Z/28 for part of the course and still ended up with a very similar time! On this forum we believe EVERYTHING which shows the Z/28 as being the best, fastest and most well priced car ever built. Everything else is considered unsubstantiated, propaganda-istic hogwash! Learn to live the bubble. .
Damn, you're right! I recently joined the Shelby Forum (just for friendly banter..not to cause problems...they actually have a lot of respect for the Z). I guess I forgot which forum I was in. :-)
Old 04-02-2016, 12:45 PM   #12
backtotintops

Drives: 14 Z/28 0#
On the Racelogic system they used one can easily say wow look at those segments and wow look at that theoretical lap (my guess 7:29-33ish) and then throw out "coulda, woulda, shoulda" lap times during interviews but there is no single "rolling lap" data of any kind that was recorded down at 7:25...negatory. It would be fascinating to see the files though.
Old 04-02-2016, 04:34 PM   #13
The_Raging_Bull
Raging Bull Reborn

Drives: '09 CGM Z063LZ '15 RH Z/28 #0631
I'm sure Randy P, The Stig, and pro drivers that live and breathe track cars would put a whopping on most of us. But its nice to have bragging rights as the Z/28 owner has one of the fastest track cars in the world on the Green Hell.

This car gets a lot of attention from folks when they know what it is. I was washing the dust off Thursday night, and we have a club of rice burners that are at the car wash off and on thru the week. I was drying the car when one of them I know saw me came over (he knew I had a pristine 92 3000GT, and a Z06). Before I knew it I had 8 guys from his club around the car as they called each other. That was kinda cool.I've gotten something said to me each of the two times I've filled up as well. .

My Z06 never got this much attention. The thing most of them say is "I've seen it in a magazine, but never on the street."

Toy 1 '15 RH Z/28 w/AC & Radio S/N 0631
Toy 2 '09 CGM Z06 3LZ
My DD: '17 Ford Mustang GT
Her DD: '14 F150 Ecoboost 3.5

Last edited by The_Raging_Bull; 04-02-2016 at 08:54 PM.
The_Raging_Bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 09:17 PM   #14
JUSTIFIED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z28 HLR View Post
Today was a very sad day in my Z/28 world. My child came back from a friend's house and exclaimed how excited this friend was to see the Camaro that it was their favorite. "Of course!" I thought, but then came the dagger..."Why did you not buy a black one? Because there are parts that are black and the rest is gray, it's better in all one color!" I felt weak, and thought I was going to faint. Was this my child? Was this a horrible nightmare I simply could not wake up from? I tried to play cool and explained that the aerodynamic items were all black, even on the white ones, it's just how they are built and it is gorgeous. I'm not sure this explanation worked.

Are any of you aware of any Z/28 rejection support groups to try to get through this crisis?
Too funny. Black is amazing, but so damn hard to take care of. I swore I'd never buy another black car, but couldn't resist the opportunity to be a pat of history! AGM is awesome too! All of them are!