Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 03-05-2016, 06:20 PM   #1
Immortan

Drives: 2015 Z/28 Black, A/C, Stereo
Who else considered a GT350?

Looked at this today, considering I pulled up in my Z, I got to test drive. Needless to say, GM did it right.

The only thing I gave to the Shelby was visibility.

I personally liked everything about my Z more. The gt350 just feels, awkward, is the best way to put it.

The Z/28 just felt more solid and refined. From the shifter to the motor, everything just reminded me how great the Z really is.

I still can't get enough of the cackle in the Z or the burble.

Maybe next time Ford. Until then..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Immortan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 06:49 PM   #2
URBAN LEGEND

Drives: 20 X3M CP & 19 ZL1 1LE A10
I'll have the R when the hype dies. No over MSRPer here.
Old 03-05-2016, 07:19 PM   #3
69L48Z27

Drives: 2015 Z/28; 1969 Camaro SS
I'm not impressed nor a Ford fan. New Mustang body style is not very appealing to me.

My opinion....
69L48Z27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 07:51 PM   #4
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Immortan View Post

Looked at this today, considering I pulled up in my Z, I got to test drive. Needless to say, GM did it right.

The only thing I gave to the Shelby was visibility.

I personally liked everything about my Z more. The gt350 just feels, awkward, is the best way to put it.

The Z/28 just felt more solid and refined. From the shifter to the motor, everything just reminded me how great the Z really is.

I still can't get enough of the cackle in the Z or the burble.

Maybe next time Ford. Until then..
That's interesting to hear your perspective after a test-drive!
Old 03-06-2016, 08:00 AM   #5
summit1le

Drives: 15 Lexus RCF, 17 Vette Grand Sport
A customer of mine brought me his to drive. It didn't feel right and I'm not just comparing it to my car. Clutch was very nice the shifter wasn't as positive and I was really expecting something wow from the sound. I bet it would sound amazing with some exhaust and headers but left feeling a bit cold. My dd Lexus RCF sounded way more exotic. Can't wait to see gm replacement for the z28 and zl1
2013 Summit 1SS 1LE w/NPP, SW 1 7/8" Long Tube Headers, CAI Intake, Ported TB, Cammotion 224/232 113 LSA, BTR Valvetrain, Melling Oil Pump, 468 HP 423, Apex Catch Can, Tank Plates, RPM 4 Point Roll Bar with SCCA/NASA Cross Brace, Schroth 6 Point Han's Harness, OMP WRC Front Seats, F.M.T Trailing Arms, F.M.T Solid Aluminum Subframe Bushings, Moreno Motorsports Camber Plates, BMR Bushings Front and Rear, Essex/AP Racing Radi-Cal Endurance Front Brakes, Quantum Brake Cooling Ducts, ZL1 Rockers, ZL1 Air Deflectors, Heritage Grill, Pfadt Springs.
summit1le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 12:45 PM   #6
URBAN LEGEND

Drives: 20 X3M CP & 19 ZL1 1LE A10
You are guys are testing the equivalent of the 1LE. Put a few hundred miles on the R version and come back to report. A bs 6 mile drive at 65 mph is not a clear representation of what a car will deliver in 49,000 miles of driving. Just saying.
Old 03-06-2016, 01:39 PM   #7
sherob

Drives: 2015 SW 1SS/RS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by URBAN LEGEND View Post
You are guys are testing the equivalent of the 1LE. Put a few hundred miles on the R version and come back to report. A bs 6 mile drive at 65 mph is not a clear representation of what a car will deliver in 49,000 miles of driving. Just saying.
LOL!!! But you only get a 6 mile drive pretty much to sell the thing. You think you're going to get a few hundred miles from a dealer to try one?

My 1LE was sold to me in a 10 to 15 mile test drive.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=17325&pictureid=134228
sherob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 01:43 PM   #8
L99CAMA2011

Drives: One of the baddest handling Gen 5s
Quote:
Originally Posted by URBAN LEGEND View Post
I agree. Even the regular GT felt as good as the 2016 Camaro SS in terms of refinement so honestly I don't see how the Z28 felt more refined. I figure the Z28 would feel more like my car which has a more track rat feel than refined road car.
L99CAMA2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 01:46 PM   #9
titanfan
Account Suspended

Drives: Several in a big garage
I considered it and not only ordered one, but two, a track pack and a R. I also owned a z/28 in the past, and I will agree if you are comparing the z/28 to the base GT350, they are two different animals. However, the R version, is what should be compared to the z/28. In this case, my opinion differs greatly from yours in the limited number of months that I've owned it. I've not yet had a chance to track it, however, so my impressions in that venue will have to remain on hold. Seat of the pants, however, the GT350R is a much more comfortable drive on the streets.
titanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 03:22 PM   #10
JUSTIFIED

Drives: 2015 black Z/28
Quote:
Originally Posted by titanfan View Post
I considered it and not only ordered one, but two, a track pack and a R. I also owned a z/28 in the past, and I will agree if you are comparing the z/28 to the base GT350, they are two different animals. However, the R version, is what should be compared to the z/28. In this case, my opinion differs greatly from yours in the limited number of months that I've owned it. I've not yet had a chance to track it, however, so my impressions in that venue will have to remain on hold. Seat of the pants, however, the GT350R is a much more comfortable drive on the streets.

Provide some additional depth...how does it compare overall? I've heard that the flat plane vibration is felt through the entire car. Is that true and is it problematic in anyway?

It's faster than the Z around a track (or at least in one head to head) and certainly from 0-60. I don't particularly like the huge wing on the back nor am I fan of the front end as it looks a bit too much like a Ford Fusion, which stole the look from Aston Martin.

The R is def a bad boy, but wouldn't trade my Z for it (for many reasons some of which are intrinsic in nature).
Old 03-06-2016, 06:18 PM   #11
D2M

Drives: Z/28
I wanted and would have gotten a standard GT350 but the cheapest one I could find was 9K over msrp, that wasn't gonna happen. Soooo I was on Autotrader one night and saw a new Z28 for 56K. Went next day and bought it. I wasn't even considering a Z28 because of the 75K price tag.. Im not a brand loyalist, if its cool Ill drive it..
D2M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 06:27 PM   #12
Shawno72

Drives: 2015 Black 2LT RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherob View Post
LOL!!! But you only get a 6 mile drive pretty much to sell the thing. You think you're going to get a few hundred miles from a dealer to try one?

My 1LE was sold to me in a 10 to 15 mile test drive.
Overkill tune/E85/80mm•CAI cold air intake w/my custom maf tube•Apex air scoop•JacFab ported intake/Extendolater•Vitesse•EE EX2 catch can•Innovate wideband•ARH HFC's•NPP exhaust•11386 xpipe•Brembos/cross drilled/slotted rotors•SS M/C•Pfadt 1.25 springs•1LE struts/sways/strut tower brace•BMR diff bush, trail arms/bush, adj toe links•My custom Tunnel brace•Hurst short throw shifter•JDP stage 1 clutch res•1LE steering wheel, shift boot•ZL1 rear diffuser/splash guards•GM splitter•Z/28 grille/flowtie/spoiler/wheels•GM performance pedals•"Chevrolet" door sills•10" Kicker sub•BigWorm overlays
Shawno72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 06:34 PM   #13
Crushinator

Drives: '15 Z/28 #783
I personally don't really care for the look of the new Mustang. In regular form or GT350 form. Knowing what the GT350R is, I certainly wouldn't kick one out of my garage, but it doesn't appeal to me like the Z/28 does.
Old 03-06-2016, 06:55 PM   #14
Austindrvr

Drives: 2015 Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by D2M View Post
I wanted and would have gotten a standard GT350 but the cheapest one I could find was 9K over msrp, that wasn't gonna happen. Soooo I was on Autotrader one night and saw a new Z28 for 56K. Went next day and bought it. I wasn't even considering a Z28 because of the 75K price tag.. Im not a brand loyalist, if its cool Ill drive it..
This was the exact scenario for me as well. I'd have been happy with either car honestly. I'm glad I purchased the Z28 though, never imagined it would be this visceral. Also, I read a review where they (C&D or MT I think) referenced the engine vibrations being strong in the cabin, they casually mentioned something to the effect of "enjoy it before it rattles itself apart." I never got to drive one, so I can't verify, but there are trade offs with a FPC.
Austindrvr is offline   Reply With Quote