Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > I4 Turbo LTG Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Phastek Performance

Old 10-25-2018, 07:36 AM   #29
whiskeyfed
Pat

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LT I4 Turbo A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nsxmatt View Post
You're*

If you're going to try and insult someone, at least use elementary taught grammar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil-Bee-NH View Post
OMG another I've been around longer then you in this industry snowflake. Why don't you go back to eating the paint chips from your childhood if your so old and knowledgeable because nobody likes you. Literally they hate me but know i try to help keep people from making terrible mistakes your just a dumb little shit looking for attention.
Matt, you missed an additional grammar error. If you are going to correct people, make sure you do a thorough job.

I am someone who knows little about actual tuning, etc., but this seems to be a lot safer than an actual tune. Wes stated that they run these chips to operate below the breaking point of the engine. Tuners, especially local ones, cannot guarantee that their parameters won't break your engine unless they purposefully screw you over to be safe *cough*. This is a "specific market" product. People who want an actual tune are not interested in this product. This is a perfect product for people who want a little bit more performance (whether "faked" or actual) without risking a voided warranty or breaking the engine.

Do I think it seems overpriced? Yeah, probably.
Am I a targeted consumer for this product? No.

If this company was out to scam people, they would have just said "**** it," and released the chip when they first made it. They seem to have done a legitimate amount of research.

The vibe that I get from Wes is that this product is intentionally safe. It is intentionally non-intrusive to the ECU. It is for a specific consumer. It is a viable, researched, safe alternative for someone who wants a little more punch without going through the hoops of tuning. If I was not pursuing performance the way I currently am, and wasn't drag racing or tracking my car, I would hop all over this. This is a great alternative (the only real alternative) to tuning the LTG. Also, the plastic and circuit board may cost $10, but they are selling their "performance chip." HP Tuners charges $300 for their MPVI2 with no credits. The plastic probably costs $15, but you get access to your car's ECU and almost endless additional accessibility. No one complains about them...

Subscribe on YouTube Whiskeyfed Camaro

Follow my Build Thread The WhiskeyFed Camaro

Current Modifications: JacFab Boost-O-Lator, Injen Evolution CAI, ZZP Catless Downpipe, RPM 3" Charge Pipe, Mishimoto Oil Filtration/Coolant Systems, R1 Concepts Brakes Package, Eibach Pro-Kit Lowering Springs, PTP Lava Exhaust Wrap & Turbo Blanket

DYNO SHEET: 297whp / 374wtq
Tuned by #danytechtuning
whiskeyfed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 08:30 AM   #30
Nsxmatt
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskeyfed View Post
Also, the plastic and circuit board may cost $10, but they are selling their "performance chip." HP Tuners charges $300 for their MPVI2 with no credits. The plastic probably costs $15, but you get access to your car's ECU and almost endless additional accessibility. No one complains about them...
A piggyback doesn't use a "Chip", it uses different level resistors to fool the chosen sensor into false readings. The more or less resistance, the higher or lower values the ECU sees. It's very limited and with todays ECU's it's dangerous as the ECU will see another abnormally such as a high intake temp that doesn't match the false boost and fuel input and will adjust timing. Will it work for low boost levels? Probably. Is it the best option for the money? Not at all.
Nsxmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 08:58 AM   #31
cooper1965
Coopers Camaro

Drives: 18 Flex Fuel LTG
I dont have a dog in this fight, and this isn't a product I would currently use, BUT as Jason has already alluded too, soon this may be the only way to do any type of modding. When the Diffie-Hellman SHA 256 security goes global across all of GM, it is un-crackable. This is not STATIC security implementation. The rumor is this will be global by 2020. When that happens, we will ALL begging for this type of technology.

---My Build Thread---
-----My IG PAGe-----
cooper1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 09:06 AM   #32
SSShark

Drives: '23 1SS Sharkskin A10
Question; if tuning is done via an executable file sent from a laptop to the ECM, and overwriting it, in theory couldn't the same information be stored in a semiconductor within the chip?
SSShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 09:11 AM   #33
Nsxmatt
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooper1965 View Post
I dont have a dog in this fight, and this isn't a product I would currently use, BUT as Jason has already alluded too, soon this may be the only way to do any type of modding. When the Diffie-Hellman SHA 256 security goes global across all of GM, it is un-crackable. This is not STATIC security implementation. The rumor is this will be global by 2020. When that happens, we will ALL begging for this type of technology.
Not specifically this product, but actual tunable piggybacks yes.
Nsxmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 09:56 AM   #34
rayruner

Drives: 16 2.0 red
Just my 2 cents

I have a 16 ats 2.0, and i think that in my case, i have over half my warranty left, and if in fact it does make more performance, we'll have to wait till someone actually uses it and gives a honest report. but the fact it can be unstalled, and doesn't leave any tracks, or so they say, thats appealling to me, and at that price, isn't cheap, well horsepower isn't cheap, the other option is a tune, then your screwing with the warranty, if you have problem. the other problem they don't have a racechip for my ats.
rayruner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 05:59 AM   #35
soldes

Drives: car
Humm 6.5h trip I'll keep that in mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceChip View Post
We have worked on the US & Asian (specifically Shanghai, China) version, but not on the European version yet. The US & Asian version are slightly different, but we do believe the US version will work great on the European model. You can order from the US website for Europe right now (There is a 30 day money back guarantee). The product will be shipped from Germany and RaceChip always pays for shipping and customs. As an option you if you are willing to drive you can come to our Stuttgart facility and we can put your car on a MAHA dyno and test everything. If you will make the drive we can offer you a free product and would shoot a #RaceChipinsights video for our YouTube channel.
soldes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 10:04 PM   #36
RaceChip

Drives: Camaro 2.0 Turbo
Quote:
A RaceChip GTS is made in Germany and consists of more than 350 hardware components. One of these components is an ARM Cortex processor capable of gathering and optimizing data from the engine sensors via [...]

I apologize for the long text. I'll sum it up for you:
RaceChip does not use transistors to change signals. A RaceChip is basically a mini computer. It has a firmware, a software, a memory, a processor...
It's made in Germany. Even the wiring harnes, which comes from the same supplier that is serving the German automotive industry.
RaceChip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 11:49 AM   #37
Jason@JacFab

Drives: 2016 1LT RS Camaro; 72 Chevelle
Send a message via AIM to Jason@JacFab Send a message via MSN to Jason@JacFab
Here's my video review of the RaceChip GTS Black. It's mainly me talking about it, and a little bit of in car footage. Should answer a lot of questions people have. Hopefully you find it slightly entertaining also. We will be testing it on a dyno hopefully in the next couple weeks, pending dyno schedule.

Jason@JacFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 12:23 PM   #38
SSShark

Drives: '23 1SS Sharkskin A10
Excellent video. Thank you very much Jason. Looking forward to the dyno results. This is exactly what I would be looking for.
SSShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 12:45 PM   #39
RobertAvitia
BYND GARAGE

Drives: 17' 1LT Turbo
really want to try this. I cant see myself going through a complete tuning process like everyone else so this would be perfect for me
RobertAvitia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 07:44 PM   #40
Ray-J

Drives: 2018 2.0t Camaro RS 1LT
@Race Chips I like it when someone fights back in a respectful way. You guys have a little Elon in you.

2018 Camaro 2.0t Automatic
Ray-J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 04:54 PM   #41
RaceChip

Drives: Camaro 2.0 Turbo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray-J View Post
@Race Chips I like it when someone fights back in a respectful way. You guys have a little Elon in you.
Thank you. Our little Elon does not only fight back respectfully, he also listens to you. Some said our product is too expensive for them. Until Monday Nov 26, we offer a very attractive discount on the GTS.

1. Click on the link below
2. Put the GTS in the cart and go to the cart
3. See your final price incl. shipping and all taxes and be happy

https://www.racechip.us/shop/chevrol...-295lb-ft.html
RaceChip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 11:19 PM   #42
JamesNoBrakes

Drives: 2SS 1LE
Quote:
More power and better MPG, how is this possible?
As a previous WRX tuner, it's pretty simple.

Turbo cars run crazy rich under acceleration, they do this to provide the additional cooling that is necessary to not fry the components due to the increased heat of everything in a turbo engine. Then there is of course some buffer for extreme environments that you may or may not live in, but that right there gives some significant margin for someone to lean out the mixture and deliver more power and economy, also leaning it out for cruise. This can be a very fine line to walk though and this is where tuners start to get in tuning wars, extracting a little bit more, and a little bit more, and components start failing. They run this rich for a reason and even if you don't need it 99% of the time, that 1% of the time when you do will be irreversible. There is usually some margin that tuners can extract, 20% better mpg sounds like bullshit though, maybe 20% better during acceleration where it's going from like 8 to 9mpg, heh.

2018 2SS 1LE
2023 Colorado ZR2
2022 Stinger GT-line AWD
JamesNoBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote