Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Phastek Performance

Old 12-17-2016, 10:13 AM   #29
wjmeyer

Drives: 2016 Camaro RS, 2LT
My drivers seat must have a hog ring positioned wrong, I feel a pain in my right rump when driving. If I sit on a small doubled towel, then no pain. (Also no pain from my 2011 Camaro RS seat over the the last 6 years.) But when I press my hand on the seat, I don't feel anything that is protruding..... very confusing. I might have to remove the leather seat cover just to satisfy my curiosity.
wjmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 01:29 AM   #30
Deviousin10tions

Drives: Hyperblue 2016 1SS
Being 6ft and 275lbs I have no complaints about my seat. Well maybe 1 it's not as comfortable as the one in the F150 I traded for it.
Deviousin10tions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 03:45 PM   #31
vidkidZ
Mobile/Embedded Architect

Drives: '16 2SS white convertible
Well...... I'm 6'4 and 205Lbs and have the same issue as noted in this thread in a 2016 2SS convertible.

From what I can discern, plastic or metal bolstering supports in the bottom seat cushion pad are pushing against nerves about 6" below and slightly behind my hip/leg joints.

Starting at the back of the seat going towards the front, just after the bolstering starts, pushing down on the bolstering, I can feel something thin, curved, several inches long. I think it's for supporting the side bolstering from collapsing. When sitting for more than 15 minutes, the supports on the left and right side of the seat start to become very painful.

Looking at the design of the seat below, I continue to believe the issue is with the cushion and not frame support structure. With that in mind, I've ordered GM Part# 23295436. I think there is also a problem with too much bolstering at the front of the seat. This is where I may want to reduce the height on the left & right sides, allowing a 2 channels for the legs to sit in, taking it closer to a Nissan 370 design.

vidkidZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 01:40 PM   #32
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyL View Post
Now I know it's not just me, or that I somehow ended up with an oddball drivers seat. I started noticing the pressure from the left seat bolster against my left outer thigh soon after I picked it up. I don't recall feeling it on test drives though. Been wondering what the deal is ever since I got my car. I'm 5'7"/175, and average build. It's distracting to say the least. I'm hoping it will break in some and I'll have to play with different seat positions to see if that helps. Glad I found this thread and that it's not my imagination.
Hi AndyL,

We're sorry to hear you're experiencing some discomfort in the driver's seat of your Camaro! Please know, we do take your comments seriously, and your feedback has been documented. If we can be of any additional assistance, please don't hesitate to reach out!

All the best,

Angela O.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 12-29-2016, 01:56 PM   #33
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjmeyer View Post
My drivers seat must have a hog ring positioned wrong, I feel a pain in my right rump when driving. If I sit on a small doubled towel, then no pain. (Also no pain from my 2011 Camaro RS seat over the the last 6 years.) But when I press my hand on the seat, I don't feel anything that is protruding..... very confusing. I might have to remove the leather seat cover just to satisfy my curiosity.
This certainly isn't what we like to hear, Warren! To clarify, have you been able to address this seat concern with your dealer? If we can be of assistance at this time, please feel free to send us another private message.

Thank you!

Angela O.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 12-29-2016, 10:22 PM   #34
Wolvie70

Drives: 2016 2SS, Summit White, A8, NPP
Glad I am fat so I don't need to worry about this.
Wolvie70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 02:01 PM   #35
motorheadkev

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2LT-217CI
yes i also have the pain/discomfort issue.

very disappointed with the left seat bolster pressure on side issue.
i developed a pain after the first 25 miles of driving.
i thought it was me and since so many people have this issue, i hope Chevy can develop a fix for the problem.

5foot 10 in. 175 pounds

i will continue to adjust the seat trying to develop a comfortable position.
i hope it will be corrected or wears in after time. i may not be able to live with this issue and i'm very upset about this.

motorheadkev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 09:01 PM   #36
vidkidZ

The front driver seat foam arrived this evening. As anticipated, the slides are bolstered with a PLASTIC SUPPORT that is causing pain. The distance between the plastic support bolsters is too narrow, resulting in the plastic supports digging into the back of your legs if your hips are too wide.

In my opinion, this is a design defect that limits the application of the seat across a wide selection of body frames. This, coupled with unnecessary excess padding at the front of the seat, makes it difficult to walk, getting out of the car after commuting to work. What a mess...
Attached Images

Old 01-04-2017, 10:13 AM   #37
vidkidZ

Taking a step back, this situation can be solved.

While removing the plastic supports is a no-brainer, there may be more problems at hand with the wire supports and depth of the buckets compared to the bolster height.

I plan to stop by a Cadillac dealer to check out seats on the ats / cts to see if there is an applicable part we can scavange / adapt.
Old 01-05-2017, 11:59 AM   #38
motorheadkev

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2LT-217CI
thanks for your efforts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidkidZ View Post
Taking a step back, this situation can be solved.

While removing the plastic supports is a no-brainer, there may be more problems at hand with the wire supports and depth of the buckets compared to the bolster height.

I plan to stop by a Cadillac dealer to check out seats on the ats / cts to see if there is an applicable part we can scavange / adapt.
much appreciated
motorheadkev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 01:27 PM   #39
Brewmaster

Drives: 2017 2SS 50th Anniversary
I first noticed this about 2 hours from the dealer. Since then, I noticed that if you sit a little angled toward the pedals (like if you were on a track) the seat is much more comfortable. If I try to sit dead straight - my left thigh gets bruised. I am about 200 lbs 5' 10 broad build kind of guy. Maybe this helps someone!
Brewmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 04:32 PM   #40
vidkidZ

Here we go... I've spent some time at the Cadillac dealer, Chevrolet of Everett and physical therapy over the last 2 days.

First, we have hip mechanics. The femur is connected to the hip with a joint, ligaments and connective fascia tissue. If you apply pressure on that area over time, it becomes reactive, irritated, and inflamed affecting the tissue and nerves.

I performed a comparison of GM Alpha platform seats. Clear Cevy design went overboard with foam, plastic supports and cheap wire supports. I need to emphasize that cutting costs of a sinus based wore system gives me one heck of a pain in the ass. On the other hand, Cadillac's design excels in the area of comfort and may be a good source for donor parts.

1. At a minimum.. the hard plastic bolster supports in the foam need to be reduced.
2. double stitching on the bolsters will need to go.
3. Foam on the front of the seat will also need to be reduced.
... but will this fix the situation and will it look good?
Attached Images

Old 01-06-2017, 02:19 PM   #41
vidkidZ

More digging into the Camaro seat....

The seat is supported by a continuous steel upholstery wire that cannot be effectively bent out of the way.

While building height in the back of the seat with additional foam can widen the area where I sit, this is not an option due to my height.. Plus modifying the foam in this manner will start to make the seat look funky.

Next steps? I need to find something that can be attach to the steel wire and winch it closer to the frame of the seat below it. Hopefully allowing the steel frame to be pulled out of the way.

For the folks at GM/Chevy.... I did stop by Chevrolet of Everett and was turned away by my service of visor for this issue saying there was nothing they could do to address it because it is a design issue of the car.
Attached Images

Old 01-06-2017, 02:22 PM   #42
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by vidkidZ View Post
For the folks at GM/Chevy.... I did stop by Chevrolet of Everett and was turned away by my service of visor for this issue saying there was nothing they could do to address it because it is a design issue of the car.
Well....it is, isn't it? It's the way it was designed.

The seats were designed with a bit of extra bolstering vs other cars to hold you in your seat while maneuvering. I am finding your reverse engineering project fascinating to read, though.

For what it's worth, and I realize it doesn't help you, I found the seats to be really comfortable...better than last generation, at least...on a 1000-mile, 36-hour trip...