Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Phastek Performance

Old 03-30-2016, 06:48 PM   #15
The Idiocracy

Drives: 2016 Black SS
Similar boat, but without the permanent damage. I too just had my tires swapped and when I inspected it, there was the tire lube all over the place. Terrible workmanship. And the guy who pulled my car into the back first tried to leave with the brake on. He got kicked out of the car. What these chumps don't know is I report every little thing to the brand quality director. No sense fighting with the dealer.
The Idiocracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 07:03 PM   #16
RenegadeXR

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
A tire swap sound simple enough, but it's one of those thing that if you mess up, it really sucks. For any wheel or tire related things, I always go to a dedicated tire and rim shop that is pretty well known around here. Working with rims is more art than science, so I rather work with somebody who specializes in it and can basically switch a set of tires in their sleep.
RenegadeXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 07:15 PM   #17
10redrocket

Drives: 2SS Camaro LS3
In the 2nd pic it looks like it is on the tire as well.
If so, I think it is white lithium grease. This is what my dealer uses to lubricate the bead to make installation easier.
I use dawn dishwashing fluid to remove it. Put it directly on your wash cloth and rub vigorously.
Nothing else I've tried works. Though I never tried a solvent for fear of ruining the clear coat.

Past Rides: 69 Camaro RS Small Block
67 Chevelle SS Big Block
05 Cobalt SS Supercharged
07 Cobalt SS Supercharged
10 Camaro 2SS LS3
Soon: 18 Camaro 2SS 1LE
10redrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 07:22 PM   #18
Openroad346

Drives: 2016 Camaro lt rs
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10redrocket View Post
In the 2nd pic it looks like it is on the tire as well.
If so, I think it is white lithium grease. This is what my dealer uses to lubricate the bead to make installation easier.
I use dawn dishwashing fluid to remove it. Put it directly on your wash cloth and rub vigorously.
Nothing else I've tried works. Though I never tried a solvent for fear of ruining the clear coat.
I thought it was on the tires as well... I've tried everything... And so did the dealer. It's not the typical grease they use in tires... Whatever it is or was damaged the rims
Old 04-06-2016, 11:35 AM   #19
Openroad346

Updated:
The dealer I bought it from was no help, the service manager was going on vacation and couldn't have cared less. I did a little more research, called some other dealers and finally concluded that it is most likely the wheel weight cleaner they used. Sure enough, each affected area is directly under the new wheel weights they installed. The cleaner apparently ran down from the weight across the painted portion of the rim and onto the aluminum.
The dealer originally told me no cleaners are used near the rims at all....

An email last night with pictures and my explanation of what I think happened resulted in a call today from the dealer informing me they ordered 3 new rims for me! .
The 4th one was not affected, I believe because the wheel weights are behind the spoke of the wheel preventing the cleaner from running down the side of the rim.
Old 04-06-2016, 11:42 AM   #20
63falcondude

Drives: 16 Camaro, 11 Stryker, 00 Explorer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Openroad346 View Post
Updated:
The dealer I bought it from was no help, the service manager was going on vacation and couldn't have cared less. I did a little more research, called some other dealers and finally concluded that it is most likely the wheel weight cleaner they used. Sure enough, each affected area is directly under the new wheel weights they installed. The cleaner apparently ran down from the weight across the painted portion of the rim and onto the aluminum.
The dealer originally told me no cleaners are used near the rims at all....

An email last night with pictures and my explanation of what I think happened resulted in a call today from the dealer informing me they ordered 3 new rims for me! .
The 4th one was not affected, I believe because the wheel weights are behind the spoke of the wheel preventing the cleaner from running down the side of the rim.
That's good that it all worked out for you.

1100 12/14/2015
3000 1/8/2016 (TPW 2/1)
3800 2/1/2016
5000 3/5/2016
63falcondude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 11:44 AM   #21
suzook

Drives: camaro
Wow, what a story. Reminds me of watching 2 knuckleheads trying to mount tires on a set of black splitspokes while I was waiting for my android update to be done. They actually tore through one of the sidewalls. Then about an hour later, a tire shop came by to do them. These "techs" at gm are total losers.
Old 04-06-2016, 11:56 AM   #22
Openroad346

I'm not saying it was 100% them, however it seems to be too big of a coincidence.... Especially when you add it all up. I highly doubt it makes a rim defect. Either way thy were nice about it and are taking care of it.
Old 04-06-2016, 01:07 PM   #23
S2Charlie

Drives: Women wild...
Glad you got this resolved... I Drove 4 hours (yes FOUR) to get the specific Camaro I wanted so I didn't have to wait 2 months for the car to be built. There is NO WAY I'm going all the way back there for service... Nobody ever wants to own up... They shipping those rims back to GM or you get to keep them???

2016 2SS Red Hot, Black Metallic Rally Stripes, A8, MRC, NPP, Sunroof, Adrenaline Red Interior w/ Accents, Upgraded Radio :: STOCK (as far as the wifey knows...)
2009 H/D 883 Sportster Denim Black with Straight Pipes and ECU
2006 Mustang GT Coupe Automatic (Sorry guys) JLT2 CAI w/ SCT2 Tuner & Brenspeed 93 Oct. Tune, Kooks LT Headers, High Flow Cats, and X-Pipe, Corsa Mufflers, 3.73's, Seq. Signals, Spinner Caps 290/303 RWHP/TQ at 88º TRADED IN FOR THE NEW BABY...
S2Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 04:18 PM   #24
Openroad346

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2Charlie View Post
Glad you got this resolved... I Drove 4 hours (yes FOUR) to get the specific Camaro I wanted so I didn't have to wait 2 months for the car to be built. There is NO WAY I'm going all the way back there for service... Nobody ever wants to own up... They shipping those rims back to GM or you get to keep them???
They are going back to GM.
Old 04-06-2016, 04:30 PM   #25
davet435
davet

Drives: 2016 2SS Mosaic Black
Send a message via Yahoo to davet435
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nataphen View Post
It won't wipe off? It looks like tire changing lubricant in the pictures. Hard to tell.
That's what I thought too. Looks just like the stuff we used to use.
2/8/16 3000 TPW 2/29
2/18/16 3400
3/3/16 3800
3/4/16 4B00
3/5/16 4300
3/7/16 4200!!!
davet435 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 04:36 PM   #26
Nataphen

Drives: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by davet435 View Post
That's what I thought too. Looks just like the stuff we used to use.

We called it "spooey" at the shop where I used to work. I love that word, but my wife hates it.
Nataphen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 09:11 PM   #27
LikaRokBowTie

Drives: 221SS1LE
Good to hear that they owned up to their mistake.So many of these shops have employees who don't give a sh!t about your car,truck,motorcycle or whatever for whatever reason,it seems that places that deal with wheels and tires should have the latest greatest equipment and training to avoid damaging peoples new wheels and custom wheels that can run thousands of dollars.I guess when they screw up they hope you just get in your car and drive off without noticing anything is wrong.I had a stereo installation done in a truck many years ago and they broke something in the door and tried to solder it back together and it broke after a little time,so the person didn't have the balls to admit to it and stuck me with the bill to fix their screwup!
LikaRokBowTie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 11:21 AM   #28
MRRWheelsInc

Drives: Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Openroad346 View Post
Another rim
This my friend is Corrosion

Basically there must have been moisture during the production phase,
it will not come off as its in the aluminum under the paint under the clear coat.
I would rush this info directly to the dealer you purchased the car from/ get some good pics, show it in person and get it replaced.

it wont go away is just like rust/ have you ever heard the term rust is like cancer it just spreads everywhere and can not be stopped.
with in a few days you will see it grow more and expand like if it was a web or a growing worm, with in just 2-3 months it will be all over the wheel.

go to the dealer and get that baby replaced, the longer you take the more reason for them to claim neglect.
MRRWheelsInc is offline   Reply With Quote