Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Dragstrip and Launch Techniques Discussion

Old 07-18-2010, 08:03 PM   #15
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by DjD View Post
Why call it a crutch? Nobody is perfect...
Because it is. Right or wrong, that's what it is. A person can't shift properly, so he/she craves no-lift-shift, or rev-match to compensate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DjD View Post
If we only used things as they were designed it would stiffle creativity...I don't think that's true at all. Not using things in the way they were designed to be used can have catastrophic consequences at worst -- and breeds ignorance of proper usage at best. If you need an item for a specific purpose and it doesn't exist -- you invent it. Otherwise, we may as well use hammers to pound in screws....eventually it'll work.........

Hotrodding would have never gotten started, you would not see LS engines in 1st gen Camaros etc, both the LT and LS engines were designed for the Corvette and got transplanted into the Camaro. I have a friend that used an aluminum cake pan as an air-cleaner base and it was featured in PHR magazine.
What you're describing here is a completely different topic altogether. Hotrodding spawned out of people wanting to change things on the cars and so they built the new parts and pieces to do so, specifically. As for your friend -- that's cool. It show's he's innovative. But I hardly think it's the ideal part to use for that purpose.
Old 07-18-2010, 08:07 PM   #16
DjD
Classic Owner

Drives: 1969 Ragtop
Ok if you say so....
Old 07-19-2010, 07:03 AM   #17
cmiller8006

Drives: 2009 Cobalt SS/TC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
Agreed. Using the No-lift shift as a crutch isn't what it was designed for, imo.
Then what it is designed for? It's designed so you can no lift shift.
Old 07-19-2010, 09:03 PM   #18
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmiller8006 View Post
Then what it is designed for? It's designed so you can no lift shift.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me...up there (^)
The purpose of no-lift-shift is to keep the turbo spooled.
...and the way it works would be near-useless on a N/A car. To improve shift times and acceleration/quarter mile times, you'd want something more like Nissan's rev-matching system in concert with GM's launch control.
Old 07-19-2010, 09:23 PM   #19
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
no lift shift won't help with missed gears... If you want to take away all the control and give it to the ecm you might as well get the auto.
Old 07-20-2010, 08:52 AM   #20
cmiller8006

Drives: 2009 Cobalt SS/TC
keep thinking it won't work. It would do wonders over having to lift on a NA car. Makes the car more consistant then ever, you don't have to lift, therefore just hit the clutch and go. Have you ever seen a drive by wire cars log? On the camaro it's not as bad as my Balt but still takes .5-1.0 seconds just for the throttle to fully open after going WOT. Imagine if you don't have that delay. Dragoneye, you just don't know what your talking about.
Old 07-20-2010, 09:03 PM   #21
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmiller8006 View Post
keep thinking it won't work. It would do wonders over having to lift on a NA car. Makes the car more consistant then ever, you don't have to lift, therefore just hit the clutch and go. Have you ever seen a drive by wire cars log? On the camaro it's not as bad as my Balt but still takes .5-1.0 seconds just for the throttle to fully open after going WOT. Imagine if you don't have that delay. Dragoneye, you just don't know what your talking about.
Fine...I don't. Doesn't change the fact I don't think it'd help a bit compared with some practice....

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnvyTerra View Post
Are automatic transmissions a crutch as well?
No, they are a lead weight... What is this?
Old 07-20-2010, 09:30 PM   #22
Mr Twisty

Dragon, you're a trouble maker. if you don't stop I'm gonna tell a mod

I know an auto is consistent blahblahblah, but he's right, manual shifting is apparently becoming a lost art.
Old 07-20-2010, 10:04 PM   #23
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnvyTerra View Post
I was just making a comparison lol if a no lift feature is a crutch, isn't a car that shifts for you a crutch as well? failed humor
Sorry for twitching a little.

I think the automatic would be more like a hover-round, then...
Old 07-21-2010, 07:16 AM   #24
Mr Twisty

There's some good manual shifting in the Lingenfelter 9 second run.
Old 07-23-2010, 12:36 PM   #25
El Chorizo

Drives: 2006 Lamborghini Gallardo
The stock ECU will pull TPS by default so you can "powershift" safely. In fact, I want to disable it but for most people it will work perfect as is.
2010 Camaro 2SS, 700RWHP, 667RWTQ @ 9psi - 11.03@124 @ 3600 ft. elevation TVS2300, Ported Stock Heads, Ported TB, Comp Cam, RPS Twin Disk, Kooks 2" LT's, Kooks 3" Catback, Dual ZR1 Fuel Pumps, H&R Springs, Barton STS, Hendrix Axles, BMR Trailing Arms, Snow Methanol Kit, Rotofab CAI.

2006 Lamborghini Gallardo, 2006 Cherokee SRT8.
2014 Mercedes CLA (On Order) / CLA Forum
El Chorizo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 12:09 PM   #26
PnCRedJwl2SS
Howdy! Pete here...

Drives: 2017 50th Anniv 2SS, A8, NPP, MRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Chorizo View Post
The stock ECU will pull TPS by default so you can "powershift" safely. In fact, I want to disable it but for most people it will work perfect as is.
This sounds interesting...can you put more specifics (in laymen's terms) for us noobs who are trying to learn more?

PnCRedJwl2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 12:16 PM   #27
El Chorizo

Drives: 2006 Lamborghini Gallardo
Quote:
Originally Posted by PnCRedJwl2SS View Post
This sounds interesting...can you put more specifics (in laymen's terms) for us noobs who are trying to learn more?
Powershift - Shifting without lifting the throttle. This means that you hold your foot WOT the entire "run" and quickly stab the clutch while shifting at the same time.

Typically you will get a slight RPM surge while this happens in a regular car as even if you are good and fast there is a brief period of the clutch being depressed where the RPM's will increase.

In the Camaro, the ECU detects the clutch press and electronically starts to close the throttle.

All of this happens very quickly and makes it much easier on your drivetrain/safer to perform on the Camaro for learning.

It's still quicker then standard shifting and you get the ECU to kind of protect you from over-revving.

If you have HP Tuners, you can run a log of you trying it and despite holding down your throttle take a look at the TPS and RPM and you'll see the ECU working it's magic during the clutch presses.
2010 Camaro 2SS, 700RWHP, 667RWTQ @ 9psi - 11.03@124 @ 3600 ft. elevation TVS2300, Ported Stock Heads, Ported TB, Comp Cam, RPS Twin Disk, Kooks 2" LT's, Kooks 3" Catback, Dual ZR1 Fuel Pumps, H&R Springs, Barton STS, Hendrix Axles, BMR Trailing Arms, Snow Methanol Kit, Rotofab CAI.

2006 Lamborghini Gallardo, 2006 Cherokee SRT8.
2014 Mercedes CLA (On Order) / CLA Forum
El Chorizo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 01:49 PM   #28
PnCRedJwl2SS
Howdy! Pete here...

Drives: 2017 50th Anniv 2SS, A8, NPP, MRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Chorizo View Post
Powershift - Shifting without lifting the throttle. This means that you hold your foot WOT the entire "run" and quickly stab the clutch while shifting at the same time.

Typically you will get a slight RPM surge while this happens in a regular car as even if you are good and fast there is a brief period of the clutch being depressed where the RPM's will increase.

In the Camaro, the ECU detects the clutch press and electronically starts to close the throttle.

All of this happens very quickly and makes it much easier on your drivetrain/safer to perform on the Camaro for learning.

It's still quicker then standard shifting and you get the ECU to kind of protect you from over-revving.

If you have HP Tuners, you can run a log of you trying it and despite holding down your throttle take a look at the TPS and RPM and you'll see the ECU working it's magic during the clutch presses.
Hi El Chorizo...thanks...I should have been more specific with my question (I'm familiar with how power shifting works--I actually started this thread!). What I found interesting was your information about how "The stock ECU will pull TPS by default so you can "powershift" safely."

How do you know this...is it documented in the manual or other GM offerings? Not doubting you...I just like to have the source, so when I tell my LS3 driver friends, they will feel confident that they have factual information.

PnCRedJwl2SS is offline   Reply With Quote