Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 10-22-2020, 10:28 AM   #29
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackClub View Post
+1! Ditto TRZ06 response.

Firstly, if lowering is for aesthetics, no problem!

But, if it is for performance, then no serious track enthusiast would swap springs without dampers. Period.
And frankly, even John (YYZ) was developing (has developed?) dampers to go with his springs...

As far as "evidence", there was a post by somebody who has tried YYZ springs and he went consistently slower, not faster. Old thread, no desire to hunt for it, but it is there. SS 1LE as far as i recall.

Marketing wise, anyone and their dog can call just about anything "race", or "track tested", because there are zero rules regarding marketing and "race" sells and puts food on the table (and I respect this part). But, tread carefully, educate yourself and be sure of your purpose, as it is your wallet.

For me, unless a product has been tested by an independent pro and official lap deltas given, then those phrases mean absolutely sweet nothing.

Lastly, ive tracked an SS 1LE for 4 seasons now. Albeit this year's was a short one. I know what a well handling car feel like. I also know what a bad handling car feels like. Unless one knows what they are doing and are prepared to spend major $$$ i would not recommend touching anything suspension wise on THIS car.

A piece of trivia: SS 1LE beat the mighty Z/28 with a bit less weight, but good deal less power, lesser tires and no trick DSSV Multimatic suspension at Laguna driven by the same pro driver. Yes, our MRC suspension is THAT good. So...don't mess it up!

Cheers!

But, if it is for performance, then no serious track enthusiast would swap springs without dampers. Period.
And frankly, even John (YYZ) was developing (has developed?) dampers to go with his springs...

yes he is and i have them have done 3 track events with them and so far they are awesome my buddy rode with me at big willow in feb and he said the car felt really stable and handled awesome remember i am a 1ss with no magride
Old 10-22-2020, 11:24 AM   #30
ST1LE

Drives: E92 BMW M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kropscamaro16 View Post

yes he is and i have them have done 3 track events with them and so far they are awesome my buddy rode with me at big willow in feb and he said the car felt really stable and handled awesome remember i am a 1ss with no magride
Sounds like a promising option for non-MRC equipped cars. Not sure it would provide any advantage over stock 1LE suspension though, wouldnt be worth getting rid of the Mag Ride I am sure.
Old 10-22-2020, 11:27 AM   #31
kropscamaro16

some people get rid of magride and also dssv just depends on how serious you are and how deep your pockets are

afe power was suppose to make coilovers for my car after they made the springs/swaybars so that was the plan but that never happen
Old 10-22-2020, 11:50 AM   #32
Thill444

Drives: 2020 SS1LE Shadow Gray Metallic
I saw a guy on the Camaro Facebook group awhile back that was complaining that his SS1LE handles poorly now after swapping to aftermarket springs. Some of the advice was "you need to get rid of the stock dampers for aftermarket coilovers"...

Ugh.. It's like the blind leading the blind.
Thill444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 12:28 PM   #33
kropscamaro16

well if you are swapping to mcs or jrz or dsc that makes sense but to remove magride on a 1less to swap to megan or bc or some cheap coilovers doesnt make sense at all
Old 10-22-2020, 12:32 PM   #34
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ST1LE View Post
I think you are referring to Post #20 in the below thread. Yes a 1LE, and yes his experience with the YYZ springs was their progressive nature was too soft, caused greater body roll and worse weight transition leading to slower lap times. Seems to lend more 'evidence' that YYZ springs are good for a street driven car but should be avoided by those who track their cars.

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showt...ing+1le&page=2
Yes, i believe that's the one. Thank you!
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 12:44 PM   #35
kropscamaro16

Quote:

he said he didnt like the yyz and was going to replace them with phastek ones? lol those are trash and way lower than most springs and john said they broke on his spring tester within a week and we have no idea who makes them probably some cheap china company
Old 10-22-2020, 12:56 PM   #36
ST1LE

Drives: E92 BMW M3
Quote:
Old 10-22-2020, 02:11 PM   #37
Thill444

Drives: 2020 SS1LE Shadow Gray Metallic
Quote:
well if you are swapping to mcs or jrz or dsc that makes sense but to remove magride on a 1less to swap to megan or bc or some cheap coilovers doesnt make sense at all
No, it makes no sense to me, you should have just started with a 1SS or 2SS and not spent the money on an SS1LE if your goal is to rip out and replace. And I am still not convinced those aftermarket coilovers are an improvement over the tuned OEM dampers and spring setup.

But some people have more money than brains. Or more debt than brains.
Thill444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 02:13 PM   #38
greg0ry

Drives: 2019 Camaro SS 1LE
ty evry1
greg0ry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 02:57 PM   #39
TrackClub

Quote:
some people get rid of magride and also dssv just depends on how serious you are and how deep your pockets are

afe power was suppose to make coilovers for my car after they made the springs/swaybars so that was the plan but that never happen
Serious? I am VERY serious! I spend tons of $ on my track hobby and i am having a blast, while improving my PBs every year and spanking cars that cost multiples of mine. I am not gonna spend thousands on coilovers just to find out if they make my car faster, or slower. If i wanna go faster in a reliable fashion and zero risk, i will simply put stickier tires on and further increase my tire budget. Simple!

Indeed, some ppl do absolutely dumb things with their cars and doesn't mean it automatically makes for a better car, or better performance only because somebody spends a ton of $ on aftermarket parts. While some may be superior (when done right relative to the rest of the car, or a complete race car transformations), many may actually lead to inferior results (given how superb Alpha chassis already is on the SS 1LE out of the box), or very complex set ups to dial correctly.

Besides, we are not talking about turning a dual purpose car into a trailered race car (while spending tons of $$$), but rather messing with an individual component without considering how it may affect the rest.

Dont know anyone that swapped out MRC except for DSSV albeit i think some folks went back? Dont know **anyone** that swapped out DSSV. Why would anyone swap out top of the line, world famous pro racing shop components?! And what exactly would they replace them with? And why? To solve what exactly?!

Thanks for pointing out your experience is a *non* 1LE car to avoid potential confusion between models and what they represent capability wise.

As far as having "buddies" riding with ya and offering opinions about car's handling, id rather listen to opinions of pros who have actually driven the car and can offer lap times. And after 4 seasons, i also can offer a few first hand opinions regarding SS 1LE. Backed up by lap times.

As far as engineering "musings" offered on some websites in support of the products...well, often times even top level pro racing engineers make bad assumptions and have to swap out complete suspensions after first practice, as cars handle like $hit.
Recent IMSA races were good examples of it, if one listened to driver interviews. Not to mention most 2020 NASCAR races - due to no practice time.

I am not saying that MRC is the absolute best there is.
But, it has been engineered and tested by one of the biggest, world class manufacturer (with decades of pro racing experience at many levels), to work extremely well in all kinds of weather, all kinds of venues and all kinds of tires, including slicks. With zero adjustments necessary except for alignment and tire pressure. And in full concert with PTM and ELSD calibrations. Id say it rarely gets any better than that!

Lastly, i respect and appreciate that you have fun testing free kit. Why not?! But, testing and plugging are two different things, so dont be surprised by some friendly push back, as it comes with the territory

Cheers!
Old 10-22-2020, 04:39 PM   #40
Boost Creep

Drives: '18 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thill444 View Post
No, it makes no sense to me, you should have just started with a 1SS or 2SS and not spent the money on an SS1LE if your goal is to rip out and replace. And I am still not convinced those aftermarket coilovers are an improvement over the tuned OEM dampers and spring setup.

But some people have more money than brains. Or more debt than brains.
I was told this way..."More dollars than sense." ....a play on dollars and cents, more money than common sense.
Old 10-22-2020, 04:51 PM   #41
kropscamaro16

this is coby shield the guy that replaced his oem 1le magride with the dsc sport kit he is a fastboi and has set multiple track records this year

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPt...shthaRlkyp1UjQ

i dont have link or any photos right now but our other buddy just replaced the oem dssv with a 1 way mcs coilover kit

magride/dssv is not the holy grail...is it good from the factory for most people? yes

can it be improved on? yes
Old 10-22-2020, 10:38 PM   #42
TrackClub

Quote:
this is coby shield the guy that replaced his oem 1le magride with the dsc sport kit he is a fastboi and has set multiple track records this year

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPt...shthaRlkyp1UjQ

i dont have link or any photos right now but our other buddy just replaced the oem dssv with a 1 way mcs coilover kit

magride/dssv is not the holy grail...is it good from the factory for most people? yes

can it be improved on? yes
I am glad you brought Coby into the picture! So...

Firstly, his skill as a driver I suspect that if a vast majority of members here tried to drive a car as fast as he does, they would end up in a fence and on a wrecker in less than a lap. So dont even imagine for a second, that you could just jump in his car and even remotely equal his lap times.

Secondly, his laps are very fast indeed, but his car is seriously modded: power, weight, aero, slicks, etc.
Mods are useless and complete waste of money UNLESS a driver can push a car further to take advantage of them.

Thirdly, he is a talented (and committed) competitor with a pretty big wallet. His coilovers go for about $8Gs plus install. Dont think that an average driver would somehow magically lower their laptimes unless they could push the car as well as he does. An average driver woud be much better served with more power and stickier tires as far as their ability to get value out of mods. And, of course, the very first mod should be spending money to increase skill of the nut behind the wheel, until they can wheel a car as well as Coby can.

If you can drive as well as Coby and getting extra tenths or whatever stands between you and a trophy AND you have THOUSANDS to spend: by all means GO FOR IT!!!

BUT, dont even put YYZ springs in the same sentence as his coilovers. That would be like comparing apples to bananas, never mind oranges!

What we dont know, is exactly how much pace his coilovers are worth over stock MRC plus extra 100HP/TQ
200lb less weight (a bit of a guess), aero, slicks, etc. And maybe he doesn't know either. Most certainly YOU dont know. So please stop trying to insinuate outcomes you have no idea about.

Here's another trivia for you: Coby's time at NCM in a modded SS 1LE is about 1 second faster than Provoste time in a BONE STOCK car.

Cheers!