Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

AWE Tuning

Old 09-23-2018, 04:57 PM   #15
Boosted_ST
LT1 1LE

Drives: 2018 2SS 1LE HPB
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackClub View Post
Guys, read the manuals. It is all there. Including the tranny interval (in addition to the diff interval.
Plus changing the diff fluid AFTER a first track day. Albeit many do one before after break in and then again after 1st track day.

EDIT: page 205
Precisely. Diff change is recommended AFTER the first track day.

Either way, I'm getting both the oil and diff changed at 1,500 miles (2,400 kms).
Boosted_ST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 07:36 PM   #16
Whitespeed

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE & 1973 Datsun 240Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosted_ST View Post
Precisely. Diff change is recommended AFTER the first track day.

Either way, I'm getting both the oil and diff changed at 1,500 miles (2,400 kms).

It is also recommend BEFORE the first track day. Its in the owners manual.

pg. 210:

Quote:
New Vehicle Break In

Should the vehicle be used for racing or competitive driving (after break-in), the rear axle lubricant must be replaced beforehand.
Whitespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 07:51 PM   #17
Boosted_ST
LT1 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitespeed View Post
It is also recommend BEFORE the first track day. Its in the owners manual.

pg. 210:

Quote:
New Vehicle Break In

Should the vehicle be used for racing or competitive driving (after break-in), the rear axle lubricant must be replaced beforehand.
Ha... I had it backwards.

Thanks for the corrections!
Old 09-23-2018, 09:16 PM   #18
Whitespeed

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE & 1973 Datsun 240Z
Quote:
Ha... I had it backwards.

Thanks for the corrections!

No, you're still halfway correct. It's recommended BEFORE and AFTER your first track event. Unfortunately, GM does a terrible job of presenting this information in a concise, easy to find way. Proper track prep is spread throughout three different documents.

Nigel
Whitespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 10:02 PM   #19
Scargoes

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue 2SS 1LE
The track manual also says to change oil after 500 miles if you plan to do track days or race the vehicle.
Attached Images

1:34.20 Willow Springs Big Track
Scargoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 09:16 AM   #20
Dave-ROR

Drives: A few
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scargoes View Post
The track manual also says to change oil after 500 miles if you plan to do track days or race the vehicle.
Yeah that seems to be a carryover for the supercharged cars. That 500 mile documentation didn't exist in the Vette's before the Z06... seems to be a standard table Chevy copy/pastes into multiple manuals.
HPDE/DD: 2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE || HPDE/DD: 2015 Subaru BRZ ||Tow Vehicle: 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 8.1L || Weekend toy: 1994 MR2 Turbo || The other weekend toy: 1993 MR2 Turbo || Track car: 1998 Integra Type-R || Race car: 1996 Integra GS-R || New race car build: 1992 Honda Civic Hatchback

Too many cars.. never.
Dave-ROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 03:08 PM   #21
Boosted_ST
LT1 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-ROR View Post
Yeah that seems to be a carryover for the supercharged cars. That 500 mile documentation didn't exist in the Vette's before the Z06... seems to be a standard table Chevy copy/pastes into multiple manuals.
I'd rather be safe than sorry. Getting mine done at 500 miles then another at 1,500 miles. Besides, the dealer says they're free anyways so what's the issue?
Old 09-26-2018, 04:05 PM   #22
Crazed_1LE

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Guys, read the manuals. It is all there. Including the tranny interval (in addition to the diff interval.
Plus changing the diff fluid AFTER a first track day. Albeit many do one before after break in and then again after 1st track day.

EDIT: page 205
Page 205 of the 2018 is about rocking the vehicle out of mud or something.

I wonder if the 2017 and 2018 manuals are different.
Crazed_1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 03:24 PM   #23
Fast Ken

Drives: 2020 1SS 1LE M6 Riverside Bl Metall
Quote:
I'd rather be safe than sorry. Getting mine done at 500 miles then another at 1,500 miles. Besides, the dealer says they're free anyways so what's the issue?
I bought my car in another State and didn't get the spiel on any free maintenance from the Dealer.

Is their any free maintenance included from the Dealer when bought new?

Also is their any tips to changing the diff fluid? I haven't looked to see if their is a cooler that needs draining or just pull the plug on the diff and refill from above?

Same on tranny?
Fast Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 09:39 AM   #24
Msquared

Drives: Chevrolet SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldi Z View Post
Since there is a e-Diff mechanism, I understand there are 2 separate chambers: one for the gear and the other for the e-Diff (electronic/control) part?
The chamber for the gears calls for a weight of 75W90 gear fluid? Any favorite brand?
What about the other fluid chamber (if there is)?
The gear fluid with limited slip friction modifier is the only thing you ever replace. The other fluid is just for the hydraulic system that controls the diff's clutch engagement, and it never encounters friction or wear. The gears and clutch disks are all in the main housing and bathe in the gear oil, just like any other differential.
Old 10-14-2020, 10:18 AM   #25
Alpha1BC

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Ken View Post
I bought my car in another State and didn't get the spiel on any free maintenance from the Dealer.

Is their any free maintenance included from the Dealer when bought new?

Also is their any tips to changing the diff fluid? I haven't looked to see if their is a cooler that needs draining or just pull the plug on the diff and refill from above?

Same on tranny?
Depends on the dealer. I had a few free oil changes with mine but I opted to just do it all myself because it would have been an upcharge to get an oil that maintained warranty on the track. Plus I don't like handing my keys/car over to drive or work on when I'm not there unless absolutely necessary. Would be very surprised if there was any free trans/diff fluid services offered, but if you have a good dealer they might be able to do it.

No need to disconnect any coolers for trans or diff fluid changes.

To change diff fluid it's really straightforward, just pull the fill and drain plugs to let it drain, put the drain plug back in, then fill to the fill hole and plug it back up.

Trans is a little different though. Per the service manual you drain it by pulling the fluid temp sensor instead of the drain plug. You can use the drain plug if you want, but it'll dump all the fluid onto one of the crossmembers under the car. To fill, you undo the fill plug and fill to 1/8" BELOW the plug or fill to the bottom of the hole and remove 8 oz of fluid before sealing back up.

I'd also recommend getting some thread sealant to use on all the plugs and the temp sensor. Don't need to go crazy with it, just enough to fill the valleys on the threads to give a little extra security against leaking.
Old 10-14-2020, 11:17 PM   #26
Fast Ken

Drives: 2020 1SS 1LE M6 Riverside Bl Metall
Do not skip changing the diff gear oil! I just changed it at 1200 miles and their was a lump of thick metal flecks infused with the oil on the magnetic drain plug (see pic below). Then I pulled the magnetic fill plug and found another small gob there. I didn't get a pic of that but their was enough suspended in the oil and traveling around, not just at the bottom of the case. Takes 1.8 quarts.
Attached Images

Fast Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 06:39 AM   #27
L78toLT1

Drives: Hyper Blue 2016 2SS 6M
Quote:
By all means change both. The diff fluid comes out black and deposits tons of shavings on the magnetic plugs. If you track your car it is recommended to change it (in addition) after your first track day and then every 20 hrs (say 10 track days or so). Tranny every 24 hrs.
Surprised that your fluid came out black. I have changed my diff fluid, I believe four times (once every other track day) and have been very surprised at how clean it looks. I suppose the clutches in the edif must get more of a workout than the standard diff.
2016 Hyper Blue 2SS/6m/MRC/NPP/Silver Rally stripes/ZL1 wheels & brakes/GForce DS and axles/ZLE Cradle Bushings/FE4 ARB front & rear/SEMA Grill/Rotofab dry/95mm TB/Magnuson 2300/Full LT4 fuel system/JMS boost-a-pump/E85 Sensor/Ported CID heads from LME/Cammotion PD cam/Thompson Motorsports forged shortblock/catted Kooks 1 7/8 headers /JRE remote tuned
L78toLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 08:55 AM   #28
Alpha1BC

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by L78toLT1 View Post

Surprised that your fluid came out black. I have changed my diff fluid, I believe four times (once every other track day) and have been very surprised at how clean it looks. I suppose the clutches in the edif must get more of a workout than the standard diff.
It's like that primarily on the first two changes for the eLSD. The first change at 1500 miles prior to track use will contain all of the stuff that comes off the clutches during the initial wear-in, then the next change after the first track day will also contain a little more because track use wears the clutches in more than purely street use does. That's actually the reason the manual says the first track day shouldn't be driven all-out and then change diff fluid after that first track day. After that the fluid is noticeably cleaner for the subsequent 20-hr changes.