Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Transmissions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 07-16-2020, 06:08 PM   #1
95 imp
Dumb Ass Deluxe

Drives: A Tricked Out Mountain Bike
Clutch hydraulics

Does anyone make a different master and/or slave cylinder for our clutches.

It seems there is way too much pedal travel on the stock set up.
I'd like to get it much more sensitive.

Also, is it me, or does the setup feel soft/vague? Maybe I just don't have enough seat time, but I can't reliably hit the "engage/disengage" spot.

Last edited by 95 imp; 09-11-2020 at 11:32 PM.
95 imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 06:12 PM   #2
Deakins

Drives: 2017 2ss, m6
Nothing that I know of as far as a direct replacement. I think Tilton has a hydraulic release bearing that can be used - I used new, stock hydraulics when I switched over to Tiltons clutch kit. The clutch changed the way the pedal felt more than I thought it would but you likely dont want to change the clutch yet.
Deakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 10:43 PM   #3
crankaholic

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
I installed a ZR1 clutch, Katech flywheel and a new slave cylinder (I wasn't planning on it, but the stock one just didn't work after reassembly)... I also measured out the distances and installed a 0.113" spacer from Tick Perf. That whole setup changed clutch feel considerably - engagement is a bit higher in the pedal travel and happens quicker.

I would say make sure to flush and properly bleed your bake/clutch fluid (it's the same reservoir on the 6th gen). Other than that you'll need a clutch with a heavier spring and maybe a spacer for the slave cylinder (but only if the measurements are out of spec). Going to a fully adjustable slave will probably cause more headaches than you want, unless you know someone who really knows what they're doing and are willing to remove the trans to adjust things. It's a pain in the ass to remove the trans on the 6th gens :/
Old 09-11-2020, 08:49 PM   #4
asthmamax11

Drives: 1SS Summit White 6 speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by crankaholic View Post
I installed a ZR1 clutch, Katech flywheel and a new slave cylinder (I wasn't planning on it, but the stock one just didn't work after reassembly)... I also measured out the distances and installed a 0.113" spacer from Tick Perf. That whole setup changed clutch feel considerably - engagement is a bit higher in the pedal travel and happens quicker.

I would say make sure to flush and properly bleed your bake/clutch fluid (it's the same reservoir on the 6th gen). Other than that you'll need a clutch with a heavier spring and maybe a spacer for the slave cylinder (but only if the measurements are out of spec). Going to a fully adjustable slave will probably cause more headaches than you want, unless you know someone who really knows what they're doing and are willing to remove the trans to adjust things. It's a pain in the ass to remove the trans on the 6th gens :/
Good info

How else can you describe the ZR1 clutch compared to the stock clutch ?

Was it alot heavier ? (Actual weight)
Solo Performance Cat deletes and Axleback
Hurst short shifter
#'s coming soon

Riaction coilovers
1LE sway bars
BMR mm
BMR chassis brace

Flow one 19" wheels wrapped in Mickey Thompsons

02 Z28 M6 35th anniversary
80k miles
T-tops
Leather
Bolt ons
Joy to drive this classic every day!
Daily Driver
asthmamax11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 12:22 PM   #5
crankaholic

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by asthmamax11 View Post
Good info

How else can you describe the ZR1 clutch compared to the stock clutch ?

Was it alot heavier ? (Actual weight)
It looks exactly the same and might be half a pound heavier(?) - although my precision scale broke and my clutch was worn out so I don't see a point in putting up numbers from a cheap scale. The biggest difference seems to be spring pressure, maybe the friction material is different(?) but I can't find any reliable info on that. I haven't heard of any clutch issues with ZR1s or Z06s so my very modestly modified SS will be fine.