Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 02-23-2020, 09:23 AM   #15
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
The GT 40 was a purpose built racecar to compete against the Ferrari and Carrol Shelby helped Ford design it! Sure Chevy could have come up with a car to compete but the Corporate had a ban on racing and the engineers hands were tied but that didn’t stop them from doing prototypes. It’s too bad that Chevy didn’t get involved but that’s the way it was and even those were dark days for the Nascar effort too.
Old 02-23-2020, 09:37 AM   #16
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
The Mustang was based off of the Falcon chassis and suspension and even used the same engines. With the success of the Mustang sales, GM saw the need to build a sporty car to compete with the sales and after 2 years of the Mustang intro the Camaro entered the market in 1967. The Camaro used the components and engines/chassis of the Chevy Nova/ II also.
Old 02-23-2020, 11:01 AM   #17
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
i think everyone has forgotten the cheetah.powered by a chevy V8,it was supposed to be an answer to the cobra,but never achieved the same sucess on the track and never made it as a production car.
redcoats1976 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 11:43 AM   #18
VegasZ

Drives: 2020 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcoats1976 View Post
i think everyone has forgotten the cheetah.powered by a chevy V8,it was supposed to be an answer to the cobra,but never achieved the same sucess on the track and never made it as a production car.
Those sound like pretty good reasons to forget about it
VegasZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 03:47 PM   #19
BlueinTN

Drives: gas powered
Quote:
Originally Posted by KuroOkami View Post
I know that neither of these cars are GM, but I finally got a chance to watch the movie, "Ford vs Ferrari "

It's a decent movie, ok entertainment for a car guy. But as a GM/Chevy fan, I wonder what the Camaro could have been if Mills had lived and he, Shelby and Iacocca had defected and gone to GM.

Don't get me wrong, I love how the Camaro sits today (that's why I'm buying one) and Al Oppenheiser is a God for everything he has brought to the Camaro brand, but I sit here looking at Camaro's history. And it seems to be the better car than the Mustang, but the numbers don't lie. Most people either don't seem to know that it's better or don't care.

While they seem to compete in the same class, more people end up buying the Mustang. Is Ford just better at building cars that people want, or just convincing them that it's what they want.

Anyway, that's what I was thinking after the movie and thought I would share and wondered what other Camaro people would think of that idea.

Study up on your Camaro lore. Mark Donahue and Roger Penske,yes that guy, SCCA Trans Am champs.

Oldblueaccord <<< MY YOUTUBE PAGE!
BlueinTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 04:15 PM   #20
Memphis SS

Drives: 2017 SS A8 Hyper Blue/White Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by 50MileSmile View Post
It’s a good thing he was. Despite all the whining from fans of the first-gen Mustang, the Mustang II became one of the best-selling first-year Mustangs of all time, at almost 390,000 units.

The 1965 Mustang sold 559,500 units and in 1966 they sold 607,500. In two years they sold over a million units. The 1GEN Mustang was designed by Lee Alcocca and by far a much better car than the Mustang II

While Ford might have sold 390,000 units I'm sure there were about 390,000 people wishing they had bought something else after owning it for a few days..

https://www.cjponyparts.com/resource...roughout-years
Old 02-23-2020, 09:43 PM   #21
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
Shelby wanted a GM motor in the Cobra but GM wouldn't do it.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 09:57 AM   #22
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
And the reason the Camaro died in 2001 was simply the base car didn't sell. V8 powered cars actually held their own in sales, but without the volume, the Camaro alone couldn't keep a plant open. The biggest reason the Camaro is around today is it share LGR with 2 Cadillacs. Overall, the Gen6 is barely outselling the Gen4 in the end.
Whenever sales gets brought up that I think always gets lost in the discussion. The base car is the volume car and what is needed to be successful to keep a car going.

Sure an SS is a better performing car and that better performance may allow you to overlook any inconveniences the car may have. In the lower models where buyers aren't always looking at performance first, those things might not be able to be overlooked.
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 03:27 PM   #23
BMR Sales

Drives: Race Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueinTN View Post

Study up on your Camaro lore. Mark Donahue and Roger Penske,yes that guy, SCCA Trans Am champs.
and Jim Hall of Chaparral

BMR Sales is offline   Reply With Quote