Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 09-23-2019, 03:56 PM   #15
Mov Ov3r
What speed limit?

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsChristianInHD View Post
If you HAVE to have a Camaro, get the V6 for college. Cheaper the better, especially in college.

I’d buy a beater for school and pocket the cash for now. (This is coming from someone that finished my associates and bought my Camaro and then ended up going back to school (mostly online). But, When I bought my car I kept 25,000 in a CD for the future.

Although, I see both sides of the argument, you’re only young once. You never know when it will end.
I think I agree with this answer the most. I put $500 a month away for about 3 years for this car in a savings account and $1000 in a separate account for a house. I didn't touch either until I decided to get married (go figure). The $500 a month also helped ensure I would be able to afford my lifestyle and other expenses while adding a car payment into the mix. My payments and insurance don't exceed the $500 a month I was putting away, but like you I have equity in the car from putting a sizable amount down. It's going to come down to how you want to spend the money, really consider all your options.
Mov Ov3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 04:36 PM   #16
Screaminz2002

Drives: 2018 Zl1
Not trying to hate but I don't see the appeal of the v6. There isn't a lot to love on this car besides the engine. The interior is cramped, back seat is useless, trunk opening is small. The stereo is pretty disappointing. I would much rather have a performance tuner like an Audi, VW, Focus type car over the v6. These cars have had blind spot for quite a few years. If you are set on the Camaro get the 8 and make it work. Might miss a few parties and little susy rottencrotch might have to buy her own dinner but.. all worth!
Screaminz2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 04:37 PM   #17
KirkH

Drives: 2016 2SS M6 Mosaic Blk Met-SOLD
Take that 22K and use it as a down payment on a duplex house or apartment building. You live in one apartment and rent the other. The rent income pays the mortgage. You live rent free.

That's what I advised my son to do, and he did it. It was the best move of his life.

BTW he bought a 2008 Infinity G37 with cash and modified it and got it tuned. He loves it.
KirkH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 06:16 PM   #18
Paintslinger16
Two Lane Blacktop

Drives: '18 Camaro 2SS
Investing and real estate are great plans but you still need some wheels.
I would call your insurance and get the quotes the 8 is going to be a lot for a young male. The 6 might be better just for that.
If you are a complete car nut, you can probably figure out how to make a two door work but if like to do anything else you don’t have much room to carry anything. Only two people is a good thing though IMO.
If you plan to live anywhere but south after you Grad you will not like a Camaro in the Northeast winters.
I probably have 4 weeks left right now, once the salt goes on the road it’s too late
Paintslinger16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 06:24 PM   #19
Cherry

Drives: 2017 SS 50th
Buy a Fiesta ST. Less than 22k and super fun. That's what I bought right after I graduated and bought a used Camaro SS when I paid the Fiesta ST off after a year and a half with my big boy job. Also was a computer science major. The costs of moving out on your own for the first time are gonna be more than you anticipate and it's better to not have to worry about a car payment during that time.
Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 06:56 PM   #20
cbr1100xx
Account Suspended

Drives: '14 Jetta 1.8, '19 1SS
Get a Camaro you can buy new or used for $22K. I've seen new 4cyl ones for that or buy used. 2SS isn't worth it either. All the extra crap is nowhere near worth the $5K premium. No way.

Do not take on a 200-300/mo payment per month and get a loan as a college student with no real income.

That will get you an SS as in "stressful and stupid".
cbr1100xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 07:16 PM   #21
Azerlazer26

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS
I’m actually a full time college student and I daily drive a 2SS up until the winter. I speak for everybody but you just can’t beat the V8 in the SS!
Azerlazer26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 07:17 PM   #22
CamaroBody

Drives: Hyper Blue 2SS
tell your parents a used 2ss is only like $5k more. say PLEASE I DONT WANT A LOAN OR COLLEGE DEBT

if that doesn't work you can ask to pay them after college

Mods:
XPEL - Hood, Bumper, Headlights, & Side Mirrors
JWM - Side Markers
ZL1 Addons - Deluxe Rock Guards & Red Lift Pads
GM - Dark Tail Lamps
MRR - Gloss Black M017s
CamaroBody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 07:33 PM   #23
Vtor_ZL1
Who Needs to KNOW?

Drives: 18 ZLE
As many have said.. find 5-6yr old civic or corolla.. drive for next 10 years.. invest that $15K remainder in Apple or XOM.. enjoy yearly dividends that will pay for insurance.. n probably gas.

If you college parking is anything like my college parking.. that car will get trashed.

Are you in the NY/NJ/PA/CT region? Join us for autox fun at MetLife Stadium. HUGE lots, tons of runs.

http://www.motorsportsne.com/
Vtor_ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 07:39 PM   #24
WhyUMad1LE

Drives: 17 SS 1LE
SS
WhyUMad1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 07:59 PM   #25
caSStro18

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS
The Camaro has been a dream car of mine for a long time. I could have afforded to buy one for the past several years, but I didn’t because I knew my paycheck would be better in the future. So, I waited. I made a big financial mistake buying a car once before and it took a long time to recover from that mistake. I swore I would never do that again. It sucks buying a nice car and then realizing that you bit off more than you can chew. It’s hard to enjoy a car on which you can barely make the payments. Have you considered a 5th gen SS? Those are pretty nice cars and can be nicely modded. I see them quite often for under $25,000. Then you’re getting the V8 and the insurance might be a tad lower. Just a thought.
caSStro18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 08:32 PM   #26
TheWiseWolf

Drives: Camaro
Whos going to give a loan at 1.9%???? the dealer?

Thats really good especially for a student.
TheWiseWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 08:58 PM   #27
Chutzpah

Drives: Wild Cherry LT1
If you really have your heart set on a camaro and I was in your financial position, I’d get the V6. I’d also make sure that the A8 was recently flushed with the newest fluid (although, a manual is a great reliable and fun option).

Today’s V6 is a nice power plant @ 335HP and 284TQ. A heavy foot on the go pedal can kill you quick. It wasn’t many years ago that the V8’s where touted as having big power at these levels.

Believe me, you’ll look plenty cool in a nicely equipped V6.
Chutzpah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 09:31 PM   #28
LARRY01Z28

Drives: 2001Camaro Z28
I say get a beater, save your money, after school buy the car of your dreams. I waited 9 years before I got my car. mostly because im cheap. lol
LARRY01Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2lt, 2ss, pricing