Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 02-23-2020, 07:30 PM   #1
adbarnett5

Drives: 2018 LT
Some General Questions

Hey guys some general questions about the 2018 Camaro :

I notice, first thing in the morning before running the car, the engine coolant is slightly below the cold line. However, once running the car it will be fine. I don't notice anything leaking or it doesn't really go down unless its fully cold.

Is there anyway to check if the oil in your car is correct? Essentially, I went to this take 5 oil change here and after I was asked "what kinda oil do I want"... I thought you could only have one type... which of course was Full Synthetic High Mileage Dexos 5W-30.. There is no heating issue, but the tech poured a dirty, blank oil drum into the car. The place has 5 star ratings, but there were a ton of other red flags.

Over time, the exhaust pipes normally blacken correct? I mean this seems obvious, of course bc of how engines combust.. but.

Sometimes, the breaks make a high pitched seqeal, but it goes away. Breaks should be fine? Also, tire pressures seem to vary drastically depending on the temperature outside. I can go from 35 to under 30 psi when the temp drops 30 degrees.

Thanks;

Last edited by adbarnett5; 02-23-2020 at 09:04 PM.
adbarnett5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 07:50 PM   #2
Camaro_QC

Drives: 08 Tiburon GS, 2018 Camaro 2.0T
Exhaust tips do blacken. That is normal.

Engine coolant level can vary slightly. But I always ensure that the level is correct when the car is cold. So add a little if required.

As for the oil change... Never go there anymore. Any reputable place should know what to put in. The oil is the right one for the I4.

Tire pressure will vary depending on temperature. So it is totally normal. After a long run the tires heat up and the pressure goes up.

As for the brakes, humidity can build up slightly and make them squeal on the first few brake. Nothing wrong. Only if they keep squealing that it could mean something else.

Hope that helps.
1100 - 5/08/2018 | 3800 - 6/18/2018
2000 - 5/09/2018 | 4200 - 6/21/2018
3000 - 5/28/2018 | 5000 - 6/27/2018
6000 - 6/29/2018
Camaro_QC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 07:52 PM   #3
Jb54

Drives: 2019 Camaro SS M6
Hi: I would just top of your coolant to the cold line and call it good. I am not aware of how to tell what kind of oil is already in your crank case. Maybe by looking at the viscosity on the dipstick perhaps. I would change the location of your oil change as you describe "red flags." Know what you are getting! Brakes don't sound like a serious issue right now. They do have built in wear indicators to cause light squealing when close to worn out to protect your rotors. Black on your exhaust tips is normal as these cars are set on the rich fuel mixture side of things in stock mode. Cleaning your exhaust tips is easy. Just use a quality metal polish and it rubs right off. Tire pressure always drops during warm to cold spells at 1 psi for every 10 degree drop in air temperature. It isn't reversible though. Nitrogen filling your tires helps reduce some of this fluctuation. Hope this helps you out.

Last edited by Jb54; 02-24-2020 at 07:52 AM. Reason: Add to
Jb54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 08:29 PM   #4
jcastag

Drives: 2017 Camaro FIFTY 2SS
Confused... What is the damage?
jcastag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 09:04 PM   #5
adbarnett5

Drives: 2018 LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcastag View Post
Confused... What is the damage?
No damage as of yet, sorry that was an old thread of mine
adbarnett5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 09:18 PM   #6
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
there are so many different brands of oil. thats what he was asking. Its up to you. always use the same brand of oil every oil change. you want a full synthetic in the weight your oil cap says. Mobil 1 is very common and is recommended by GM. The rest is all normal. you could fill the coolent up a little. its common for it to be a little low from the factory. you will need 50/50 mix Dexcool. Prestone is a common brand. do not use anything else or you will f up your cooling system. You can also have your oil changes done at the dealer and have them top off your coolant. They are probably the same price for that stuff as any other place. the coolant they will do for free under warranty.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 10:15 PM   #7
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Drives: 2020 2SS - A10, NPP, MRC, CAI
DO NOT EVER go to a "quick lube" place for oil changes, if you can't do it yourself (it is insanely easy to do with a $30 set of ramps and some basic tools) find a reputable mechanic and take them the oil you want used AND watch them do the oil change and pour in the oil YOU brought them (and only let them charge you labor)...
Added after delivery: - GMP CAI, GMP Black Strut Tower Brace, MRR017 1LE Wheels, SS Armrest, Black Fuel Door, Stainless Sport Pedals, SS Wheel Caps, Black Lugs/Locks, GM Splash Guards, DD Smoked LED Markers, Smoked Rear Reflectors, Mishimoto Catch Can, Xpel PPF - Full Front, SunTek 35% Tint, CeramicPro coating, RST Stainless Brake Lines, Castrol SRF, MSD Super Conductor Wires

Left: My "fun" ride. Right: My "work" ride: a Gulfstream G600. One's top speed is 180 Mph, the other, 620 Mph...
2SS Capt is offline   Reply With Quote