Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 04-16-2022, 01:49 AM   #1
Mac7504

Drives: 2003 Monte Carlo SS SLP, 2022 ZL1
Banks vs Aeroforce gauges

So I'm stuck in between 2 gauges.... While the Banks is more pleasant to the eye, the Aeroforce does look old as shit and not as easy to read on the fly but has more features.

I run dual Aeroforce gauges on another car but wanted something different for my ZL1 but ultimately nothing seems to compare. For instance, the Aeroforce has the ability to manually activate fans and the intercooler pumps while sitting, let's say, in the staging lanes of a strip or pits or a road course. I've contacted Banks to see if they have this feature and it was a hard no from tech department. Not sure how easy it would be to add this but as it stands the trade off is user interface vs features.

I'd venture to say more are running Banks here than Aeroforce but can you sell me on why?

The ability to manually activate the fans as well as intercooler pump is worth more to me...what am I missing?

Also, I don't believe they Bank unit can monitor kr unless something has been updated.

Any input would be appreciated.

Johnny
Mac7504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2022, 02:41 AM   #2
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
Aeroforce gauges are super easy to read just like the iBanks gauges. They both can monitor up to 8 PIDs simultaneously. Both can monitor all the same stuff including E85 provided you have the sensor and WB O2 if you hook that up. As far as looks, to me they're both pretty much equal. Yea everyone says "Aeroforce looks old" and stuff but at some point people are just talking and repeating something they heard someone else say. So I don't pay attention to that part because it's silly. They both look really good to me.

iBanks uses a suction pod that connects to the windshield if I'm not mistaken. AF uses a vent style pod that connects into the defrost vent. You get putty to pack in the pod which keeps excess heat from getting in there and blanking out the gauge. I have used mine with the heat on defrost on high and I have not had an issue with vent heat. The only real issue is that apparently AF didn't properly design the part of the pod that goes into the vent slot because for a lot of people it pops out and protrudes up and you have to sit there and try to push it down in there again. So that is they only thing noteworthy between the two other than an extreme price difference (AF being much cheaper).

I monitor only keep 4 PIDs on each gauge as that is all I need. If I want to add more in the future then I can switch to the 8 format. I don't particularly care for the 8 screen, I mean, how many parameters do you need to monitor at one time anyway? And it's not like you can do all that while at WOT or racing anyway. For anything more than that I'll be hooking up my laptop and doing some datalogging. or if I really do need to monitor more parameters then I'll switch to 8. But what I have will suffice for now.

So really unless there are other features that I am not aware of that one has over the other then I'd say it comes down to price and how the pod fits. I went with AF and I'm completely fine with it. it can also datalog and read/erase DTCs and has other features as does the iB. So really unless price is an issue just flip a coin.
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2022, 03:05 AM   #3
Mac7504

Again, I run a dual Aeroforce setup on another car so I'm not talking out my ass. It's not as easy to read imo or as sleek as the Banks it seems. However the manual fan and ic pump features on the AF are what's got me conflicted. Yes I've spoke to banks I.T. about fan and ic pump features but they stated is not in the works...
Also the banks doesn't read knock, it reads total knock which is not the same unless something changed recently.
They can both use the defrost pod setup or ZZPs dual pos setup.

I'd just like to read kr and oil temps mainly. I mostly keep my eye on tire psi when I'm running (via cars dic). I understand I can read oil temps and psi front the car but I'd rather not get into why I do not want to switch back n forth.

As far as price, they are pretty much the same unless you are speaking of the data monster...

Also, if I needed to log, I've got an hp tuners mpvi2.

Last edited by Mac7504; 04-16-2022 at 03:09 AM. Reason: .
Old 04-16-2022, 04:21 AM   #4
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac7504 View Post
Again, I run a dual Aeroforce setup on another car so I'm not talking out my ass. It's not as easy to read imo or as sleek as the Banks it seems. However the manual fan and ic pump features on the AF are what's got me conflicted. Yes I've spoke to banks I.T. about fan and ic pump features but they stated is not in the works...
Also the banks doesn't read knock, it reads total knock which is not the same unless something changed recently.
They can both use the defrost pod setup or ZZPs dual pos setup.

I'd just like to read kr and oil temps mainly. I mostly keep my eye on tire psi when I'm running (via cars dic). I understand I can read oil temps and psi front the car but I'd rather not get into why I do not want to switch back n forth.

As far as price, they are pretty much the same unless you are speaking of the data monster...

Also, if I needed to log, I've got an hp tuners mpvi2.
I wasn't implying that you're talking out your ass. I'm talking about people in general. Some of the comments, replies, and topics I read on this site these days are just people repeating silly nonsense. I just drove my ZL1 as I had to drop it off at the body shop for some work. The shop is a mile up the road but I took the car down the highway to get some good driving before it goes in for 2+ weeks. Anyway I also had to get some gas. I was reading my gauges and to me they are not hard at all to read. It might be that I know where my PIDs are so I know exactly where to look. But I have mine set on gauge mode instead of read mode. At least that is what I call it. In gauge mode with it set on 4 PIDs each corner of the gauge has a PID and under it is the reading. In read mode it is more like a list where the PID is on the left and then the reading is to the right. If you have it in that mode then I can see how it would be hard to read as the words are very small. So if that is the case then switch it to gauge mode and it might be better. It uses more of the screen so the words are bigger. I will post a pic later. but I say just go with whatever you prefer.

Oh and for me the DataMonster is what I figured was comparable to the Interceptor. You can get the dual gauge pod with dual Interceptor gauges for less than what you will pay for two DataMonster gauges. But like I said, either way is fine. Both are great gauges. I went with AF and for what I need with my mods and where my ZL1 is at it is perfect.
Old 04-16-2022, 01:05 PM   #5
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Here is my setup. For me it is pretty easy to read and it has a decent look to it.

For some reason my pics come out sideways on here. It doesn't happen anywhere else or on any other forum.
Attached Images

Old 04-16-2022, 01:11 PM   #6
Mac7504

I have duals in my Monte Carlo and after debating on it last night and reading ur posts, I think I'm going to stick with Aeroforce for the function over form. I'm waiting on ZZP to get their pillar mount back in stock.

I still think the Banks looks nice and easier to read imo but the fan and intercooler features just add so much value to the Aeroforce units.

Also you mentioned something about ur pos popping out? I believe lethal had a video where he mentioned having to trim a tab a bit in order to have it seat better. Have you tried that?
Old 04-16-2022, 04:25 PM   #7
Trochoidal

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaqWhole View Post
Here is my setup. For me it is pretty easy to read and it has a decent look to it.

For some reason my pics come out sideways on here. It doesn't happen anywhere else or on any other forum.
Are you using an Aeroforce specific WB or no WB at all?

Originally Posted by arpad_m - “Aww, yet another oil thread with almost the same question in the OP“
Trochoidal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2022, 10:03 PM   #8
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochoidal View Post
Are you using an Aeroforce specific WB or no WB at all?
I'm not using any WB at the moment. If I go back in for more mods in the future then I will have it installed. I would stick with Aeroforce specific items at this point just to make sure it all plays nicely together.
Old 04-18-2022, 09:23 AM   #9
EDFHOBBIES
Dyno Show Queen LOL

Drives: 16 SS & 17 ZL1 Both Yellow
Send a message via Skype™ to EDFHOBBIES
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaqWhole View Post
Aeroforce gauges are super easy to read just like the iBanks gauges. They both can monitor up to 8 PIDs simultaneously. Both can monitor all the same stuff including E85 provided you have the sensor and WB O2 if you hook that up. As far as looks, to me they're both pretty much equal. Yea everyone says "Aeroforce looks old" and stuff but at some point people are just talking and repeating something they heard someone else say. So I don't pay attention to that part because it's silly. They both look really good to me.

iBanks uses a suction pod that connects to the windshield if I'm not mistaken. AF uses a vent style pod that connects into the defrost vent. You get putty to pack in the pod which keeps excess heat from getting in there and blanking out the gauge. I have used mine with the heat on defrost on high and I have not had an issue with vent heat. The only real issue is that apparently AF didn't properly design the part of the pod that goes into the vent slot because for a lot of people it pops out and protrudes up and you have to sit there and try to push it down in there again. So that is they only thing noteworthy between the two other than an extreme price difference (AF being much cheaper).

I monitor only keep 4 PIDs on each gauge as that is all I need. If I want to add more in the future then I can switch to the 8 format. I don't particularly care for the 8 screen, I mean, how many parameters do you need to monitor at one time anyway? And it's not like you can do all that while at WOT or racing anyway. For anything more than that I'll be hooking up my laptop and doing some datalogging. or if I really do need to monitor more parameters then I'll switch to 8. But what I have will suffice for now.

So really unless there are other features that I am not aware of that one has over the other then I'd say it comes down to price and how the pod fits. I went with AF and I'm completely fine with it. it can also datalog and read/erase DTCs and has other features as does the iB. So really unless price is an issue just flip a coin.
The Banks doesn't need WB to read E85 the sensor just needs to be installed and tuned for it.

WB needs to be on the car to read AFRs

The banks customer service has been great not sure about Aero's. Even during the initial covid out break they answered the phone and I talk to a live person to ask about the CAN bus reading the Haltec for AFRs they said it reads all the CAN busses.

Both are great I just can't stand the mounting in the AC or the one that attaches in that little vent area.

The ZZ performance is on wifes and I have the trufiber pod.

I'd go with with the one that's most upgradable the Microsd card is used to log or updates the gauge with not sure on Aero's.

I know one thing about 2 weeks ago i blew a fuse on my intercooler pump If I hadn't had the gauge I probably would be doing a rebuild! Ck out the IATs!!!
Attached Images

Kong Ported 2650, Crawford Racing Port Injection, Weapon X 112mm Adapter, NW112mm TB, Livernois Ported LT4 Heads, Lingenfelter GT32 stealth cam, Haltech Elite, and Carbon by Trufiber
EDFHOBBIES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2022, 09:54 AM   #10
Metal_AF

Drives: 2021 ZL1 1LE
I like the pillar pods, but have always avoided them because I wasn't sure how the airbags deploy in these cars. Are these a problem with the side curtain air bags?
Metal_AF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2022, 11:26 AM   #11
EDFHOBBIES
Dyno Show Queen LOL

Drives: 16 SS & 17 ZL1 Both Yellow
Send a message via Skype™ to EDFHOBBIES
The part is made identical to the oem pillar. The bag goes off and the pillar flies off with the oem bungee attached. The pillar just hides the bag.

Kong Ported 2650, Crawford Racing Port Injection, Weapon X 112mm Adapter, NW112mm TB, Livernois Ported LT4 Heads, Lingenfelter GT32 stealth cam, Haltech Elite, and Carbon by Trufiber
EDFHOBBIES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2022, 11:32 AM   #12
Metal_AF

Drives: 2021 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDFHOBBIES View Post
The part is made identical to the oem pillar. The bag goes off and the pillar flies off with the oem bungee attached. The pillar just hides the bag.
Thanks!
Metal_AF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2022, 12:47 PM   #13
Camaro1973

Drives: 2019 ZL1
Banks IMO are easier to read, look better. I don’t like the look On the AF gauges with the orange backlight etc.

Reminds me of a display on a 1996 pioneer radio

LME 377 LT4 Short Block | Magnuson 2650 80mm upper w/13% lower (9.06) | DSX Lid & Valve Covers | CSP Custom Cam w/32% fuel lobe | CID Heads | NW 103mm TB | Roto Fab Big Gulp | CSP 2" Headers w/Green GESI Gen 2 Cats | Borla 3" Full Cat Back w/ S-Type| Mighty Mouse Wild Catch Can| Custom Holley Low side Fuel system| TooHigh PSI Port Injection w/Holley Controller | Forced Inductions Interchiller w/2 gallon fender tank | TK Performance built 10L90
Camaro1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2022, 01:09 PM   #14
LiqTenExp

Drives: 2017 ZL1
I recently went from Aeroforce to Banks and they are all around better display wise (visibility, resolution, and display options).