Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 05-04-2022, 10:47 PM   #15
Camaro1973

Drives: 2019 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz28 View Post
Is your fender tank in leu of a trunk tank? Am I understanding that correctly? I've been thinking about this, too, but I can't do anything obvious. I've seen some say those will hold heat as much as they can help cool in certain situations.

Yeah i decided to use the fender tank instead of the trunk tank only because it was a challenge.. lol.

Basically it will take longer to cool the loop with the added volume, but this is good because while it takes longer to cool down, it also takes much longer for it to warm up.

You can think of it like this, instead of the end of a 1/4 mile run the MAT temps being 120, they'll be 110 with the added volume instead of just chiller only. This is just an example. Then at idle, low speeds it takes just a few minutes for the coolant temp to bottom out. Its amazing because you can sit and idle, MAT temps can go up to 120F, you blip the throttle and it immediately drops 30F. Soon as that air hits the freezing cold bricks from opening the throttle its instant cool.

Also remember the chiller is always fighting the heat from the blower sitting on top of the heads so its always absorbing heat.

It sure beats trying to cool it with air/heat exchangers. You can only cool water to ambient no matter what you do.

The fender tank is out of range of heat where it sits behind the fender. The coolant is close to freezing most of the time.

LME 377 LT4 Short Block | Magnuson 2650 80mm upper w/13% lower (9.06) | DSX Lid & Valve Covers | CSP Custom Cam w/32% fuel lobe | CID Heads | NW 103mm TB | Roto Fab Big Gulp | CSP 2" Headers w/Green GESI Gen 2 Cats | Borla 3" Full Cat Back w/ S-Type| Mighty Mouse Wild Catch Can| Custom Holley Low side Fuel system| TooHigh PSI Port Injection w/Holley Controller | Forced Inductions Interchiller w/2 gallon fender tank | TK Performance built 10L90
Camaro1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 06:25 AM   #16
Z OH 6

Drives: 2021 Red Hot ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz28 View Post
Is your fender tank in leu of a trunk tank? Am I understanding that correctly? I've been thinking about this, too, but I can't do anything obvious. I've seen some say those will hold heat as much as they can help cool in certain situations.
In my opinion the chiller works best with a moderate to small size aux tank, about 1-2 gallons at the most. As stated before, if you hot lap in the 1/4, like to do 1/2 mile or full mile events, a larger trunk mounted tank has some benefit. The advantages to the smaller tank is that the chiller can cool the entire loop quicker, disadvantages obviously mean that it can heat up quicker. Chillers work extremely well for daily drivers and 1/4 runs where you can allow the car to cool down a few minutes between passes.
Z OH 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 11:02 AM   #17
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
AH. Thanks, gentlemen, for the information!

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // TooHighPSI Port Injection // FF // Katech Dual In-Tank // Soler 103 // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 07:36 PM   #18
DWR

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro1973 View Post
AC turns off at WOT and wont be able to keep up on a road course. If you have a large expansion tank it may offset this.
Ah yes, I forgot that important piece of info. Figure there should be some way to make the AC run even at full throttle if you wanted though?
2007 Toyota Corolla S -- Traded
2007 Colorado I-5 3.7L z85 2wd ext. cab --Totaled
2004 Silverado single cab 4.8l v-8 2wd -- Traded
2018 Camaro SS 1LE -- Current DD
DWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 07:49 PM   #19
Camaro1973

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWR View Post
Ah yes, I forgot that important piece of info. Figure there should be some way to make the AC run even at full throttle if you wanted though?

Even if it did, the compressor is just to small to keep up with the heat.

LME 377 LT4 Short Block | Magnuson 2650 80mm upper w/13% lower (9.06) | DSX Lid & Valve Covers | CSP Custom Cam w/32% fuel lobe | CID Heads | NW 103mm TB | Roto Fab Big Gulp | CSP 2" Headers w/Green GESI Gen 2 Cats | Borla 3" Full Cat Back w/ S-Type| Mighty Mouse Wild Catch Can| Custom Holley Low side Fuel system| TooHigh PSI Port Injection w/Holley Controller | Forced Inductions Interchiller w/2 gallon fender tank | TK Performance built 10L90
Old 05-06-2022, 05:28 PM   #20
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
Just curious, after the chiller install and retune you picked up a little extra power. Granted that power most likely would not have been possible without the chiller, but could the improved 60-130 times be attributable to that extra power?

I mean, say you had installed the chiller and used it only for it's cooling abilities and did not have it retuned...and say you then tested the 60-130 in similar temps/DA and then compared them...would the times be less than they are with your updated tune?

Also, let's say you were able to gain that extra power without the chiller, how much would your times have improved?

I guess what I'm saying is it would be interesting to see how the chiller as a stand alone mod without a retune affects the car's performance.
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 05:34 PM   #21
LiqTenExp

Drives: 2017 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaqWhole View Post
Just curious, after the chiller install and retune you picked up a little extra power. Granted that power most likely would not have been possible without the chiller, but could the improved 60-130 times be attributable to that extra power?

I mean, say you had installed the chiller and used it only for it's cooling abilities and did not have it retuned...and say you then tested the 60-130 in similar temps/DA and then compared them...would the times be less than they are with your updated tune?

Also, let's say you were able to gain that extra power without the chiller, how much would your times have improved?

I guess what I'm saying is it would be interesting to see how the chiller as a stand alone mod without a retune affects the car's performance.
I would hope it's being used for consistency and less heat soak, not sure I'd tune for it being there! Maybe it would make you feel a little more comfortable to toss that last degree or two of timing at the car but not sure I'd want to expect anything more than that.
Old 05-06-2022, 06:37 PM   #22
Camaro1973

Quote:

I just Demonstrated that exactly what your talking about in the Pics it’s not tuned for colder air, there were no timing changes. The extra power comes from cooler dense air. My tune also adds 0 timing based on MAT temps. Where as before the chiller it was actually adding timing. It’s not that it’s making more power per say, it’s the fact I’m Not losing any when ambient Temps go up, and it’s really hard if not impossible to heat soak now with the chiller.

Not sure you read my post thoroughly

Old 05-06-2022, 06:50 PM   #23
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
I just Demonstrated that exactly what your talking about in the Pics it’s not tuned for colder air, there were no timing changes. The extra power comes from cooler dense air. My tune also adds 0 timing based on MAT temps. Where as before the chiller it was actually adding timing. It’s not that it’s making more power per say, it’s the fact I’m Not losing any when ambient Temps go up, and it’s really hard if not impossible to heat soak now with the chiller.

Not sure you read my post thoroughly
I get that the denser air has a positive effect. I just thought you told me that you had it tuned for more power. I probably stopped listening when you were going on and on about it

Hopefully I'll have mine installed soon. I wanna wait tho as I'm curious to see what my temps will be when it gets really hot. I've seen yours but I want to see what my Whipple will do or if it will get to the point where it starts pulling timing. If I had thought this out better then I would have tested my stock setup to compare to my current setup just for informational purposes.
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 06:51 PM   #24
Camaro1973

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiqTenExp View Post
I would hope it's being used for consistency and less heat soak, not sure I'd tune for it being there! Maybe it would make you feel a little more comfortable to toss that last degree or two of timing at the car but not sure I'd want to expect anything more than that.
Yes exactly. No timing was added. And the adders were all removed because I’m simply at the max of my high side on ethanol)

It’s better to zero the adders out when your close to the max of your fuel system. Last thing you want the ECU to do is add another 1-2 degrees of timing because your MAT temps are 80F.

It probably could take another degree on 93 as I have more fuel for that, but it’s just not worth it, I’d rather not ride the knock sensors. Also, my tune the knock sensors are back at stock settings since I’ve switched headers from kooks to CSP.

Andrew just isn’t aggressive as some others that tune and that’s fine with me. I still make plenty of power and still have the protection in case it needs it.

Some will tune on ragged edge for numbers, and tell you to throw some boostane in it etc.

One if the nice things about having the chiller is you can turn it off, let it heatsoak on the dyno let the MAT temps get hot and you can make pulls and adjust timing to where it’s needed based on that in the IAT table.

Old 05-06-2022, 06:56 PM   #25
Camaro1973

Quote:
I get that the denser air has a positive effect. I just thought you told me that you had it tuned for more power. I probably stopped listening when you were going on and on about it

Hopefully I'll have mine installed soon. I wanna wait tho as I'm curious to see what my temps will be when it gets really hot. I've seen yours but I want to see what my Whipple will do or if it will get to the point where it starts pulling timing. If I had thought this out better then I would have tested my stock setup to compare to my current setup just for informational purposes.
Probably misunderstood when I had it tuned for ethanol.

It all depends on your tune when it pulls timing. I need your new file

Old 05-06-2022, 07:43 PM   #26
ZL1Atlanta

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1
What was your cooling setup prior to the chiller? Stock HX’s? Higher capacity ice tank? Stock or external water pump? Just trying to understand the full scope of what is being compared.

Built by Vengeance Racing, tuned by Elite Tuned
ZL1Atlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 08:47 PM   #27
Camaro1973

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZL1Atlanta View Post
What was your cooling setup prior to the chiller? Stock HX’s? Higher capacity ice tank? Stock or external water pump? Just trying to understand the full scope of what is being compared.

Everything stock except the chiller.

Old 05-06-2022, 08:51 PM   #28
ZL1Atlanta

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Everything stock except the chiller.
Got it, thanks. So the comparison is no cooling mods to adding a cooling mod. I’d say the results are what I’d expect.

Built by Vengeance Racing, tuned by Elite Tuned
ZL1Atlanta is offline   Reply With Quote