Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V6 LGX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Bigwormgraphix

Old 02-07-2022, 03:50 PM   #29
UnknownJinX

Drives: 19 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE Shock
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malbjey View Post
I previously had a V6 and actually loved that it could be revved out with a 7K redline. I found the torque to be more than enough around town as a daily driver.

It's very good as a relatively cheap performance car, especially if you want RWD. Your cheap, RWD options are really limited. The only other cheap RWD cars are the Mitata and BRZ/86. While the V6 Camaro isn't as nimble as them, it does offer more space and amenities for the price. It kinda falls in the middle between those cars and the V8 pony cars.

Also, its cheaper than the V8 Camaro not just because of gas (87 vs 91 octane), but also because of insurance, brakes, tires and oil changes. Plus you can wring the V6 out on the street, and still be relatively safe when compared the V8.
I love Miatas, but yeah, I would take a 2.0T/V6 Camaro over a BRZ any day, at least the older ones.

I mentioned this before, but the BRZ's biggest issue is that not only is it slow, but it feels slow. Miata isn't fast but at least it doesn't feel very slow, even with the 1990 NA I drove with a measly BP 1.8 with 90 BHP. With the BRZ, it takes practically forever for the revs to climb. Feels like either it needs a turbocharger or a Coyote stuffed into it.

There is also the 370Z, but the chassis of the Z is not nearly as capable as a Camaro.

GM Performance Intake and that's it, because driver mods before car mods

Past:
2009 Mazda RX-8 GT M6 Velocity Red Mica (Sold)
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 2LT M7 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat (Flood totaled)
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 03:54 PM   #30
Anjilslaire

Drives: 2021 3LT RS A10
It also didn't help that the v8 2021 Camaro couldn't be sold in Washington +California until Chevy altered the copper brakes to comply with state laws

https://gmauthority.com/blog/2020/12...nd-washington/

I have a relative who's a sales mgr at the local GM dealership and apparently GM was playing games with WA & California as a result, and giving almost zero allotments of any Camaro models this last year due to the copper brakes issue. GM wouldn't even take my v6 order for 6 months....
Anjilslaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 03:59 PM   #31
TXCSSU
Account Suspended

Drives: 2022 ZL1 M6/Nissan Leaf
TXCSSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 04:04 PM   #32
metros11

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE
You're certainly going to get your share of "V8 or nothing" on this forum, but I'd have no problem rocking a V6 1LE. Great cars.
metros11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 04:07 PM   #33
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anjilslaire View Post
It also didn't help that the v8 2021 Camaro couldn't be sold in Washington +California until Chevy altered the copper brakes to comply with state laws

https://gmauthority.com/blog/2020/12...nd-washington/

I have a relative who's a sales mgr at the local GM dealership and apparently GM was playing games with WA & California as a result, and giving almost zero allotments of any Camaro models this last year due to the copper brakes issue. GM wouldn't even take my v6 order for 6 months....
I don't think they were "playing games"... As has been mentioned on this thread and in a lot of other places - the cars that are available on dealer lots are generally NOT the SS/ZL1 trims. Those are cars that are ordered and/or sell out right away. They are also the ones that have the brake pads standard that California wouldn't allow to be sold (and even that was a bunch of garbage that GM could have easily worked around). I would bet that, if you looked at the actual build-out of Camaro's, a simple majority of them (meaning over 50%) are equipped with brake pads that would have been non-compliant in the state.

Looking further, I would expect that another simple majority of -ordered- cars in non SS or ZL1 trims would have the brakes upgraded. So, with all said and done - a significant percentage of the cars "that sell" have the heavier duty brake package. And the other cars, will sit on the lot for a while. So, where's the value to GM in shipping a lot of cars to California that seemingly won't sell for a while?
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 04:58 PM   #34
Anjilslaire

Fair points, but it was sure frustrating when GM wouldn't even take my v6 order... sigh. Either way, I finally got one and I'm super happy with it!
Old 02-07-2022, 05:18 PM   #35
lt4camaro

Drives: 2021 LT1 10 speed auto
Had a brand new 2016 LT 6 speed V6, drove for 10k miles and loved it.
lt4camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 06:44 PM   #36
kpgreenwell

Drives: 2017 50th anniversary edition v6 A8
Love my v6
kpgreenwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 07:37 PM   #37
TXCSSU
Account Suspended

Drives: 2022 ZL1 M6/Nissan Leaf
Oh and for the record, I'm perfectly ok with the 4-banger, V6, and all "lesser" Camaros. I can only imagine how much more expensive the Camaro would be if it only came in V8/FI V8 variants as there would be less sales and parts may not be as readily available.

I remember when the smaller engines on the Mustang/Camaro were generally marketed at the "secretaries", which I think these variants are still trying to dig themselves out of that stigma. Hell, I think I have some old Camaro brochures where they specifically have a young lady shown alongside (not in a model kind of way).

Then again, here are a few old commercials (was looking for specific examples of them targeting to "secretary types" but couldn't find them specifically) that may give everyone some perspective, and a little laugh.

TXCSSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 07:47 PM   #38
soloknight6
SoCal HT5! SD

Drives: 2016 red hot 2ss M6
2012 2LS was my first Camaro, I thought the LFX engine was great.
Old 02-07-2022, 08:36 PM   #39
truckrglenn

Drives: Chevy camaro
Just bought a used 2017 2lt rs convertible with less than 25k miles.

I wanted to buy a new camaro but all of the dealers around here are jacking the prices $7-$10000 over sticker. I wanted to order one but was treated like crap because they wouldn't have been able to jack the price.

Last edited by truckrglenn; 02-07-2022 at 08:38 PM. Reason: Spelling
truckrglenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 08:58 PM   #40
Xyebo

Drives: '23 1SS 1LE | '18 1LS V6 [sold]
You can even be a track day junkie with a V6, you just got to know the limitations.

I drive a 2018 1LS with MT and a V6. As far as I know, this is the last year GM sold this trim with a V6 option. The stock 18" wheels have almost no performance options in 245/50r18, so I bought the take-off SS wheels so I could unlock more options in 245/40R20 and 275/35R20 sizes. At the same time, there are no 200 TW options (unless you are willing to upsize to 255 and 285 and spend a fortune on Nissan GT-R tires).
While 1LS doesn't get the cooling and suspension goodies a 1LE gets, it's still an enjoyable ride that, with proper camber setup, can take on a road course.
The single-piston brakes are an issue, though. The smaller pads wear out fast (especially in the rear), and there are barely any track-friendly options: I use DFC Track/Street pads from Rockauto.
Lastly, the power is sufficient for Southern California tracks, but the lack of support for tuning and modding makes the higher HP figures pricey and physically unattainable.
Xyebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 10:16 PM   #41
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
as far as street driving goes the V6 is cheaper on consumables.tires,brakes and (87 octane) gas which is at $3.45 right now in florida.if its your DD and youre going to work every day and on weekend trips you might be glad you got the 6 this summer.was at a car show friday night with a buddy who brags that hes got the V8.he was bitching about the price of fuel so i hadda say' yeah,but youve got the V8".he doesnt drive any faster than i do,but loves opening the hood at car shows...
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 12:48 AM   #42
Anjilslaire

Funny thing is, my 3LT V6 gas door says to use premium fuel.