Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Bigwormgraphix

Old 05-19-2020, 08:26 PM   #1
Phantom_2SS

Drives: 2016 Mosaic Black Metallic 2SS
Oil cooler hose leaking oil?

Excuse my lack of knowledge here, but I’m trying to figure out why I’m leaking oil in what looks to be 2 spots. In the first spot it appears oil leaking is from one of the rubber hoses connected to the oil cooler. This doesn’t make sense to me because I thought those lines were full of coolant but I could be completely wrong and not understand how the oil cooler works. The second spot, oil seems to have pooled on the back right corner of the pan. None of the pan bolts around that spot are loose, since I tightened up every one I could reach last week. There doesn’t seem to be any clear path it dropped down from ethier. I wiped down the bottom of the pan last week when I tightened those bolts, so this appears to be new oil. I might have to take the metal shield completely off to access all the pan bolts and completely wipe the pan to see if it’s just old residue that had dropped down or something. If anyone has any insight, especially on that hose problem, I’d really appreciate it. This is a 2016SS btw. Thanks!
Attached Images

Phantom_2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 09:34 PM   #2
Allez

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
I apologize for not being knowledgeable about these things either, but my 2016 did have a oil cooler line recall, ?apparently related to a body stud possibly rubbing a cooler line. Not sure if that's related to what you're seeing. https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=475865
Allez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 10:20 PM   #3
Phantom_2SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allez View Post
I apologize for not being knowledgeable about these things either, but my 2016 did have a oil cooler line recall, ?apparently related to a body stud possibly rubbing a cooler line. Not sure if that's related to what you're seeing. https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=475865
Ah I should have mentioned mine is an M6 so unfortunately it must be something else. I saw another post where someone said their rubber hose was leaking coolant but mine appears to be oil so something isn't adding up haha
Old 05-19-2020, 11:04 PM   #4
Mountain

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2016 1SS (previous)
Check the 4 bolts for the oil cooler that fasten it to the oil pan. Seriously.

You are right - the lines are for coolant flow through the cooler block. The cooler block circulates coolant and oil (separated from each other of course). The flow of oil is from the pan, into the pickup, through the pump, through the block, into the pan, into the filter, out the filter, through the cooler and into the engine extremities. Something like that.
Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 11:28 PM   #5
Mountain

1st pic is a GM engine but not a V8. Just showing you the cooler.

2nd pic is the drivers side rear of the Camaro LT1 - you can see the internal passage in the oil pan that go to the block.
Attached Images

Old 05-20-2020, 09:28 AM   #6
Phantom_2SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain View Post
Check the 4 bolts for the oil cooler that fasten it to the oil pan. Seriously.

You are right - the lines are for coolant flow through the cooler block. The cooler block circulates coolant and oil (separated from each other of course). The flow of oil is from the pan, into the pickup, through the pump, through the block, into the pan, into the filter, out the filter, through the cooler and into the engine extremities. Something like that.
Thank you for the explanation on that, and the pics! It makes more sense now. I had tightened the lower two cooler bolts before because they were totally loose but I didn't get to the top ones. It just has to be them dripping onto the hose or something. I'm gonna take the metal shield off to get full access to all of it and clean it up/tighten those as well. Fingers crossed that's where it's coming from.
Old 05-20-2020, 11:57 AM   #7
Mountain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom_2SS View Post
Thank you for the explanation on that, and the pics! It makes more sense now. I had tightened the lower two cooler bolts before because they were totally loose but I didn't get to the top ones. It just has to be them dripping onto the hose or something. I'm gonna take the metal shield off to get full access to all of it and clean it up/tighten those as well. Fingers crossed that's where it's coming from.
No problem. It is probably the bolt that is hard to get to, which is the front-top bolt. You can get to it with a 1/4" drive and medium extension (that's how I did it), but it is tight. Be careful not to leaver against the oil cooler too much.

Your possible leak areas are from
-Oil cooler-to-pan bolts (leak is from the two cooler ports at the pan, to the cooler; the ports are higher-up, towards the top of the cooler)
-Oil pan-to-block surface

Might as well check
-Oil filter tightness and o-ring placement
Attached Images

Old 05-20-2020, 06:21 PM   #8
Phantom_2SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain View Post
No problem. It is probably the bolt that is hard to get to, which is the front-top bolt. You can get to it with a 1/4" drive and medium extension (that's how I did it), but it is tight. Be careful not to leaver against the oil cooler too much.

Your possible leak areas are from
-Oil cooler-to-pan bolts (leak is from the two cooler ports at the pan, to the cooler; the ports are higher-up, towards the top of the cooler)
-Oil pan-to-block surface

Might as well check
-Oil filter tightness and o-ring placement
Awesome, I'm gonna get under there this weekend and get them tightened up. Thank you!