Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance - Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs

AWE Tuning

Old 04-21-2020, 08:57 PM   #15
Josh42089

Drives: 19 Chevy Camaro LTa
Do all of you guys that keep your camaros outside when parked go crazy from the water spotting that we get on the trunk? I do lol. Mine has the spoiler and it drives me crazy lol. I have mine coated for about a year now with Cquartz uk. I use reset soap once a month and reload as well to maintain it. Thinking about polishing and recoating though. Might add gliss next time to the mix
Josh42089 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 07:21 AM   #16
harner

Drives: 2018 ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh42089 View Post
Do all of you guys that keep your camaros outside when parked go crazy from the water spotting that we get on the trunk? I do lol. Mine has the spoiler and it drives me crazy lol. I have mine coated for about a year now with Cquartz uk. I use reset soap once a month and reload as well to maintain it. Thinking about polishing and recoating though. Might add gliss next time to the mix
My car is coated and lives outside. I never get waterspots unless I wash the car and do not properly dry it off. It happens occasionally and usually a wash or a quick application of this will remove them.
1994 Trans Am LM7/CPT 4L60E/9"
1987 IROC
2006 Silverado
harner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 09:14 AM   #17
indyz

Drives: 2SS, CT-R, LC500
It depends on local climate I guess. In FLorida, it gets too waterspotty.

I ceramic coated my Mazda. Never again. Some water spots can get so bad Ive seen folks having to polish to get it off and then they have to redo the coating.

My Camaro, I can strip wash the waterspots off super easy and then reapply TW seal and shine or something and make it glossy.
indyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 09:26 PM   #18
Cake's Z

Drives: 2018 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by indyz View Post
It depends on local climate I guess. In FLorida, it gets too waterspotty.

I ceramic coated my Mazda. Never again. Some water spots can get so bad Ive seen folks having to polish to get it off and then they have to redo the coating.

My Camaro, I can strip wash the waterspots off super easy and then reapply TW seal and shine or something and make it glossy.
Man I am right there with you! I was not educated when I did my own ceramic coating a year or so ago. Came out amazing but the damn water spots were the biggest pain. I just spent 7 hours today compounding/polishing and sealed. Never again will I do ceramic coating, love it but I get caught in the rain too often where I cannot do a quick wash/dry.
2015 TRD Tundra (traded)
2014 Subaru WRX (traded)
2000 Z28 (sold)
1970 GMC 1500 (stolen)
2017 YXZ1000 (sold)
Cake's Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 11:52 AM   #19
NeverDie
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 1LE
I wash my car with Meg's Gold Class and dry with compressed air/MF towel.

You *really* don't need anything more than a pH balanced wash soap to care for properly installed ceramic.
NeverDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 12:20 PM   #20
indyz

Humid places will be prone to waterspots, ceramic or no ceramic. Application process wont really prevent waterspotting. Dry deserts are nicer. Grew up in the desert and loved the dry heat. Did not realize how much I liked it until I moved to FLorida.

You want "sheeting" if you want to avoid waterspots from beading.

The thing is I dont get sheeting until my coating is almost gone lol.
Old 05-12-2020, 11:50 AM   #21
NeverDie
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 1LE
That isn't true at all from the perspective that the water in deserts is far harder and will dry faster. The mineral deposits from hard water are what cause the spotting, the heat and UV from sun contribute to the etching as well.

A very easy fix is to install the sacrificial layer over the main coating that they all recommend. Reload is the product to use with CQ.
NeverDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 12:00 PM   #22
indyz

okay whatever you say. Youre right
Old 05-12-2020, 12:04 PM   #23
indyz

Ceramic coat, then add sacrificial layer, got it.

I'll just do sacrificial layer(s) and call it a day. Don't need the extra work and polishing headaches that come with having a ceramic coating.

The humidity here causes dew to form every morning. That contributes to waterspotting, I know its hard to fathom that living in the desert. lol.

Ceramic coating, what a waste, never again.