Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 08-05-2019, 03:05 PM   #1
seanblurr

Drives: ZL1 1LE
hey electrical guru's: hardwiring an NPP override toggle

For any and all electrical guys out there, how easy do you think this would be? I'd like to run a manual toggle switch in the car that would either open or close the NPP exhaust valves depending on the position.

I realize you can do this through the infotainment system, but I have to toggle the valves every lap at Laguna Seca in order to pass the ridiculous sound limit. Flipping a switch would be a lot easier than messing with the screen.

Any thoughts?

Last edited by seanblurr; 08-06-2019 at 12:16 PM.
seanblurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 03:38 PM   #2
viurniel
@viurniel

Drives: 19 ZLE A10, 15 2SS, 90 300ZXTT
This guy built the right solution IMO: https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...nd-checks.html

This Corvette guy did the same: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...eca-sound.html

I am guessing that this is more involved that what you are looking for but it's much better than a manual process. And, you can program a time constraint so that even if you loose GPS the valves can open after X time.

Also, here is the answer to your question:

Last edited by viurniel; 08-05-2019 at 03:53 PM.
viurniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 07:39 PM   #3
Scottyz
2019 ZL1 1LE MY GOON

Drives: 1980 Z28 Big Red.
For some reason I recall a melted bumper from racing in stealth mode. Just be aware of that is what I suggest. I guess the heat was too much for the bumper.
Scottyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 12:17 PM   #4
seanblurr

I'm aware of the method used on Porsches, for some reason I didn't think anyone had come up with a solution yet for Chevy's. I wonder if it would work on a ZL1. Thanks for posting.

I could see the exhaust becoming overheated if you left it in stealth mode for the entirety of the track session. It should be ok for 20-30 seconds a lap, I would hope.
Old 08-06-2019, 01:46 PM   #5
viurniel
@viurniel

Drives: 19 ZLE A10, 15 2SS, 90 300ZXTT
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanblurr View Post
I'm aware of the method used on Porsches, for some reason I didn't think anyone had come up with a solution yet for Chevy's. I wonder if it would work on a ZL1. Thanks for posting.

I could see the exhaust becoming overheated if you left it in stealth mode for the entirety of the track session. It should be ok for 20-30 seconds a lap, I would hope.
Did you see the video I posted? That guy does the manual switch for ~$20.00 and that is a lot easier to set-up.
viurniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 01:57 PM   #6
seanblurr

I did, thank you. I will investigate further.
Old 08-06-2019, 06:27 PM   #7
wwiiavfan

Drives: 2017 1SS Hyper Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by viurniel View Post
This guy built the right solution IMO: https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...nd-checks.html

This Corvette guy did the same: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...eca-sound.html

I am guessing that this is more involved that what you are looking for but it's much better than a manual process. And, you can program a time constraint so that even if you loose GPS the valves can open after X time.

Also, here is the answer to your question:
I did something very close to what the Vette guy did on my SS for around 20 bucks. I did the add a fuse slightly different, I cut it open and soldered the feed wire in and overmolded it with epoxy. I took the relay board out of its case and the whole thing fits under the fuse cover, secured with a piece of Velcro. The only thing exiting the fuse box is the ground wire and it’s pretty much hidden. I just leave it in stealth all the time on the screen, and work the valves with the remote.
The buttons on the remote are labeled A and B, so I remember it like this: she’s Always a lady (nice and quiet), but she can be a noisy Bitch when she wants. 😂
wwiiavfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 07:51 PM   #8
angryBits

Drives: ZL1 1LE A10
Its easy. I did it on my Z06 and my M6 ZL1 1LE.

You get one of these: Add A Circuit

Wire it to a switch in your cabin.

Set the car sound mode to Stealth -- this will be the mode when the switch is active.

When the car is inactive, its wide open.

Current: 2019 ZL1 1LE A10
Mods: MPS4s Tires | Borla Atak | CF Steering Wheel
Previous: 2018 ZL1 1LE M6 | 2017 Z06 Z07 M7 | 2017 GS A8 | 2015 ZL1 M6 | 2013 GT500
angryBits is offline   Reply With Quote