Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 04-01-2019, 10:33 AM   #1
CamaroChriSS

Drives: 16 1SS M6 Black -previous 00 Z28 M6
Periodic Tick During Warmup (w/video)

This seems different than the issues I found researching... everything i've found is for a constant ticking during warmup, but mine sounds like something trying to engage periodically during warmup. The first click is at the 13 second mark, then at 17, 20, 26, and 31 seconds - so about every 4 seconds, but not exactly consistent. Then it goes away once the car is out of the warmup cycle. I never noticed this before, but only since my battery died and the car had to be jumped.

Any ideas what this is?

https://youtu.be/yuQ4bJI-H8I
CamaroChriSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 12:13 PM   #2
RyanR623

Drives: SS A8, NPP, Red Hot
This sounds exactly like mine, but mine only does it after it's warmed up. It's more frequent than yours (every 2-3 seconds sometimes, sometimes every 6 seconds :/) but definitely erratic. Sometimes it doesn't do it at all. I'm starting to think it may be a stuck lifter.
RyanR623 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 01:42 PM   #3
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
My 2016 SS did it too and there’s nothing wrong. A person posted something on this forum a couple of years ago about this and found out what the cause of the ticking was. Do a search and see if you can find it but it was nothing major. Mine would stop when the engine warmed up. If my memory serves me right it was loose bolts on the cats near the engine and he tightened them and the ticking stopped. I never worried about my Camaro and I don’t own it anymore anyway.
Old 04-01-2019, 01:51 PM   #4
I`m Batman

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS M6
Sounds like metal/heat shield heating up and expanding... maybe even the cat heating up. Like when you park and shut down... metal contract when cooling down and make those clicking sounds.
I`m Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 03:03 PM   #5
LT4Greg

I think you have the general idea about it Batman!
Old 04-01-2019, 03:17 PM   #6
CamaroChriSS

Thanks everyone! Definitely put my mind at ease (except the stuck lifter - I hope you're wrong haha). I'll try to isolate the noise better, but not going to panic about it.
Old 04-01-2019, 03:24 PM   #7
LT4Greg

Yeah don’t panic about it. When I traded my 2016 SS in on my 2017 ZL1 it had a little over 29,000 miles and was still doing it when I started it up that morning before I did the deal on the Z. If it gets worse or to ease your mind get it checked out.
Old 04-01-2019, 05:29 PM   #8
DC5

Drives: 2019 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE
My vehicle, which currently has 15,000 miles, sounds the same upon its initial cold start.
DC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 07:13 AM   #9
RyanR623

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroChriSS View Post
Thanks everyone! Definitely put my mind at ease (except the stuck lifter - I hope you're wrong haha). I'll try to isolate the noise better, but not going to panic about it.
Well mine is only after it gets warm, not exactly sure why. It's completely silent on startup, so exact opposite of yours. Mine is definitely louder than metal expanding too. I know that sound. However, see video below.

Old 04-02-2019, 07:47 AM   #10
CamaroChriSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanR623 View Post
Well mine is only after it gets warm, not exactly sure why. It's completely silent on startup, so exact opposite of yours. Mine is definitely louder than metal expanding too. I know that sound. However, see video below.

How long does that last? Mine definitely stops right after the warmup cycle, but I'm curious if yours goes on indefinitely...
Old 04-02-2019, 10:01 AM   #11
RyanR623

Quote:
How long does that last? Mine definitely stops right after the warmup cycle, but I'm curious if yours goes on indefinitely...
That's not my vette (I wish LOL), I was showing another instance of a similar tick at startup that resulted in GM changing out the AFM lifters on an LT1. I have no idea if his went away. Maybe look up the TSB he lists.

Mine doesn't happen until it's all the way warmed up and have been driving a while, especially hard driving. And then it stays there until I idle for a few minutes and goes away. Or I can turn off the car for a few minutes, start it up again, and it's gone. Only thing I can think of is a lifter not getting enough oil as it thins out after warming up. I only have 11k miles on my car and it is CPO'd for another year, so I'm going to try and take it in Friday to have it looked at.
Old 04-02-2019, 10:18 AM   #12
CamaroChriSS

Quote:
That's not my vette (I wish LOL), I was showing another instance of a similar tick at startup that resulted in GM changing out the AFM lifters on an LT1. I have no idea if his went away. Maybe look up the TSB he lists.

Mine doesn't happen until it's all the way warmed up and have been driving a while, especially hard driving. And then it stays there until I idle for a few minutes and goes away. Or I can turn off the car for a few minutes, start it up again, and it's gone. Only thing I can think of is a lifter not getting enough oil as it thins out after warming up. I only have 11k miles on my car and it is CPO'd for another year, so I'm going to try and take it in Friday to have it looked at.
Yeah I might bring it in, especially if there's a TSB out for it. Seems like people don't see it as a huge deal, but if it is a stuck lifter, I'd like that to be taken care of while it's still under CPO
Old 04-02-2019, 10:34 AM   #13
RyanR623

Quote:
Yeah I might bring it in, especially if there's a TSB out for it. Seems like people don't see it as a huge deal, but if it is a stuck lifter, I'd like that to be taken care of while it's still under CPO
Yeah and also you know it's done right. Also one thing I should mention, I can hear mine under the hood louder than I can hear it under the car. It's mid engine right where the lifters would be. If yours can only be heard under the car it's probably not a lifter.

Here is the video I made.

https://youtu.be/Vyf1WkGj6Ho
Old 04-02-2019, 10:49 AM   #14
CamaroChriSS

Quote:
Yeah and also you know it's done right. Also one thing I should mention, I can hear mine under the hood louder than I can hear it under the car. It's mid engine right where the lifters would be. If yours can only be heard under the car it's probably not a lifter.

Here is the video I made.

https://youtu.be/Vyf1WkGj6Ho

Good call! I will run out and see if I can isolate the sound better - I'm fairly certain it's lower than what's in your video, but I should definitely verify.