Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

Bigwormgraphix

Old 12-08-2017, 08:39 PM   #15
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
A good link to read here:
http://pages.cs.wisc.edu/~gdguo/driving/BlindSpot.htm

And a good vid that demonstrates it all:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QIkodlp8HMM
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 09:43 PM   #16
LS3 Machine

Drives: 2017 Colorado ZR2, 2018 ZL1
The gen 5 has about the same not so good visibility as the gen 6. I’ve been driving a 2011 1SS since 2010. You get used to it. Adjust the mirrors, turn your head. Shit it wasn’t too long ago when NO cars had blind spot monitoring.
LS3 Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 11:39 PM   #17
JamesNoBrakes

Drives: 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by RatedR View Post
Have you driven a 1SS? Try that and adjust the mirrors properly. See what you think. I agree it would be nice to have standard, but I am getting by without it in my 1SS.
Yeah, it's still pretty sketch, I rented last week (my 1LE should be here in about a week). It's ok if you only ever change one lane at once, but if you ever think of going to the fast lane from the on-ramp, beware. Even with properly setup mirrors, you are at a big disadvantage in this car. That's what you sacrifice for the looks. Could be worse, could be a countach...
JamesNoBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 11:44 PM   #18
JamesNoBrakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS3 Machine View Post
The gen 5 has about the same not so good visibility as the gen 6.
I concur, it's about the same.
Old 12-08-2017, 11:53 PM   #19
TrackClub

I send this pic to anyone that suggest that Camaros don't have "good visibility". Also, any pro trucker uses ONLY mirrors. IMO Camaro mirrors are large enough to offer good visibility - if used correctly and if the driver doesn't rely on rubber necking for checking for traffic.
Attached Images

Old 12-09-2017, 01:04 AM   #20
JamesNoBrakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackClub View Post
I send this pic to anyone that suggest that Camaros don't have "good visibility". Also, any pro trucker uses ONLY mirrors. IMO Camaro mirrors are large enough to offer good visibility - if used correctly and if the driver doesn't rely on rubber necking for checking for traffic.
Yeah, I was looking at those truckers a few days ago, they have far more mirrors than a camaro, with mirrors intended for close-in and for blind spot angles, etc.

This has good visibility. But I don't want to drive this.
Attached Images

Old 12-09-2017, 03:31 AM   #21
FATTEMUNK

Drives: 600whp 2016 C63 AMG/ 2018 SS 1LE

use this on any car and never have a blind spot issue again. Super easy to remember, a little hard to get used to but really good. I even got my mom to use it and now she doesn't rely on the blind spot in her Mercedes, just uses her eyes. A short person who has a history of being honked at for blind spots LOL.
FATTEMUNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 07:03 AM   #22
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
I can't image blindspot monitors being the deciding factor on my car purchase. Learn how to adjust your mirrors properly and use them. You should be doing that even with BSM on your vehicle. Even the owners manuals tell you to not rely solely on it. That tells me to not rely on it at all.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 07:30 AM   #23
TrackClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by FATTEMUNK View Post

use this on any car and never have a blind spot issue again. Super easy to remember, a little hard to get used to but really good. I even got my mom to use it and now she doesn't rely on the blind spot in her Mercedes, just uses her eyes. A short person who has a history of being honked at for blind spots LOL.
BINGO! This system actually teaches drivers a correct habit of using mirrors to constantly pay attention to traffic, effectively using all 3 mirrors as one, giving a full view of what's behind and to the side(s) of one's car and hence an ability to anticipate what others around you may do, as one sees them all.

Automated "blind spot" alarms are just a passive crutch for those that don't use mirrors properly to see what's beside them and moreover: are not 100% reliable, such as if another car decides to pass you at the same time you decided to change lanes. They will alert a driver when a car is *already* there, but unlike properly used mirrors they won't permit a driver to *anticipate* what might be there in a next split second.

PS Imagine what would be happening if race car drivers had "blind spots" in their mirrors, especially given full containment seats...
Old 12-09-2017, 09:42 AM   #24
JamesNoBrakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyUMad1LE View Post
For people that don't know how to adjust SIDE mirrors correctly.
Old 12-09-2017, 12:12 PM   #25
NCSD

Drives: Nightfall, 2SS, A8, MRC, NPP,RE-71R
All the visibility issues are from people who are doing tests that aren't used to driving a camaro. Yes, it's not great and it takes some getting used to it, but after a week or two you get used to it and adjust. I had a 2SS and I never relied on the blindspot detection. I sold my camaro a few months ago, but I rented one in Arizona and it was a 1SS, after driving it I realized I would have to get used to it all over again. It an expensive upgrade to a 2SS 1LE for something you will get used to in a week or two.. You do get the back up camaro on the 1SS which I did use.
NCSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 01:20 PM   #26
Boost Creep

Drives: '18 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Knight Rider View Post
I am looking to do a sports/muscle car this spring. I am seriously looking at the camaro ss. The 1le is really nice. I will really need blind spot detection and I cant get it on the 1ss. Not sure what to do. Are their reliable and high quality aftermarket bsms? I wish I could get it from chevy from the factory. I know that the 2ss 1le is available now, but it is too expensive for me. It looks to be more than 50k. I would get that if I could. Thanks
2SS 1LE with the blind spot monitors.
https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...modelCode1=CAM

$43,470

See the sensor in the rear bumper?

Shop around, you will not find good pricing in NY, you will have to travel.
This car was listed at $42,700 last week.
Boost Creep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 05:39 PM   #27
slythetove

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBones81 View Post
if blind spot monitoring is your biggest concern in a car, I think you're looking at the wrong type of cars...

If you're after performance, I say forget the blind spot monitoring and pick up the 1LE. You'll love it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeromeS13 View Post
With mirrors properly adjusted, you shouldn't have any blindspots while driving...
Old 12-16-2017, 10:03 PM   #28
dotfiles
@SS_1LE

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
We all manage to drive our 1LEs without hitting people in our blind spots and you can too. If your mirrors are properly adjusted and you check over your shoulder before changing lanes you do not need blind spot monitors. IMO it is unsafe to rely on blind spot monitors as they can miss motorcyclists or cars coming up quickly.