#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

AWE Tuning

Old 04-19-2019, 11:53 AM   #1
TJay74

Drives: 17 Camaro SS 1LE & 16 Sierra AT CC
Turning or Upgrading front 1LE rotors

So this is a 2 part question.

1. Do the 1LE front rotors have enough material to turn them?

2. Has anyone been able to source any other rotor rings in either a drilled or slotted offering?

Bear in mind, my car is a DD and street driven all while putting down 650rwhp. Car has 20k miles on it and while doing some logging today I did a hard stop and it seems the front rotors have some uneven pad deposits on them. Been running the Powerstop Z26 pads since the car was new and to be honest I really dont ever push hard on the stopping side of things so I was surprised to see them show signs of pad deposits.

I read something a couple of years ago in regards to swapping the rears over to 2 piece and even lightening up the hats and rotor rings but I cant seem to locate the thread.

Thanks in advance... Todd

2017 Camaro SS 1LE - Procharger D1SC w/ Tial 2" BOV & Race intercooler / ARH full length catless headers / Alky meth injection system - 650rwhp on conservative tune SOLD
TJay74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 01:58 PM   #2
carguy55

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE
You'll get at least 1 million different answers, haha. My 2 cents, with 650hp you probably should have better pads then the Z26 street pads for stopping at the speeds your're probably hitting with 650hp. Back to your question, the service manual says the rotors don't need to be turned as part of normal maintenance. The rotors can be cleaned up in a bunch of different ways by a trusted shop who know what they're doing without actually turning them. There is a discard thickness of 32mm that is recommended, so if the shop can clean them up and still have more than 32mm you should be good. My view is if they're below 33mm (50%) I'm going to replace them. Best prices on GM rotor assemblies (includes hats) is at RockAuto but shop around using the Delco part numbers. KNS brakes has just the rings from a few sources and some of them are slotted. You just have transfer the hats over to the new rings.
carguy55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 04:10 PM   #3
Boost Creep

Drives: '18 1SS 1LE
There's at least one member driving on DBA front rotor rings.
Old 04-19-2019, 06:12 PM   #4
TJay74

Drives: 17 Camaro SS 1LE & 16 Sierra AT CC
Well going thru KNS Brakes it is close to $1k for new front DBA rotor rings and new Hawk pads all the way around. After just putting $3500 into my fuel system not sure if the wife is gonna be OK with me dropping another $1k on brakes.

May just order new caliper bracket bolts, turn the front rotors and change out the pads all the way around this time along with bleeding the brakes.

2017 Camaro SS 1LE - Procharger D1SC w/ Tial 2" BOV & Race intercooler / ARH full length catless headers / Alky meth injection system - 650rwhp on conservative tune SOLD
TJay74 is offline   Reply With Quote