Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

AWE Tuning

Old 04-14-2019, 05:50 PM   #1
TC2018SS1LE

Drives: Camaro
Tablet mount

For anyone that uses a tablet for monitoring/logging how do you have it mounted?
I'll be using the Amazon fire 7 with torque pro.
TC2018SS1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 08:05 PM   #2
Move_Over

Drives: ISO ss 1le
Probably would use a proclip console mount (not dash mount, i think the tablet would be too big and get in the way)

https://www.proclipusa.com/product/8...-console-mount
Move_Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 09:06 PM   #3
TC2018SS1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Move_Over View Post
Probably would use a proclip console mount (not dash mount, i think the tablet would be too big and get in the way)

https://www.proclipusa.com/product/8...-console-mount
That looks great!
Thanks for the link.
Any clue what I would use to mount the tablet to the clip?
Old 04-15-2019, 08:07 AM   #4
Move_Over

Drives: ISO ss 1le
Quote:
Originally Posted by TC2018SS1LE View Post
That looks great!
Thanks for the link.
Any clue what I would use to mount the tablet to the clip?
Poke around on their site.

https://www.proclipusa.com/device/ta...7-inch-2nd-gen
Move_Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 10:59 AM   #5
TC2018SS1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Move_Over View Post
Thank you very much, I appreciate your help

The mount looks great but that holder honestly looks like it would block all kinds of stuff.

I ordered the mount and am going to see what the tablet looks like on it and then figure out what I'm going to do to attach the tablet to it.

Again, thank you for your help.
Old 11-17-2020, 01:11 PM   #6
Qlimax

Drives: White 2018 camaro ss
Try ram mounts. Heavy duty stuff. I'm actually mounting a surface pro4. Lol a big one in mine any day
Qlimax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 09:48 PM   #7
MatthewAMEL

Drives: 2023 CT5 Blackwing
I just can't recommend ProClip any longer.

They are a PITA to get them to stay adjusted to the size of your device. Just a few 'ins and outs' and the mount spreads to the point the phone just falls out. Not just the Camaro mount, but both of the ProClips in my other cars.

I used RAM X-Mounts for race day for years and they are awesome. Not going anywhere once you get them on. Just not sure about a good location for an X-Mount in the Camaro.

2023 Wave Metallic
CT5-V Blackwing M6
MatthewAMEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 01:33 AM   #8
Scargoes

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue 2SS 1LE
I used a cheap iBolt tablet mount from Amazon and bolted it to the trim to the right of the touchscreen. It has held for autocross and track days(including an off at Willow Springs) without moving. I did buy a replacement insert in case I really feel like I don’t want the mount or AMPS base in the car.
Attached Images

1:34.20 Willow Springs Big Track
Scargoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 04:45 AM   #9
olblue75

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
So if your using the tablet for logging do you have to have it within arms reach or can you use a mount and attach it to a harness bar or roll cage and start the log before going on track??
1LE Front sway bar, Splitter, shocks and struts, Z28 dual mode mufflers, Intake, UCA Bushings, and Toresen 3.91 Diff. 1 piece DSS Drive Shaft, ZL1/C7 Calipers, and 32mm JPSS Rear Bar. ASC race spec splitter and wicker. 6th Gen M017 Wheels. Stainless Works 1 7/8 LTs. DSE and PAFDT Suspension components.
olblue75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2023, 05:39 PM   #10
Msquared

Drives: Chevrolet SS 1LE
I recently acquired some RaceCapture hardware and a Samsung Galaxy S5e to go with it. Like others here, I needed a place to mount the tablet. My original plan was to use the ProClip 835232 Console Mount along with their 511848 Small Universal Tablet Holder, both of which I had lying around. The S5e isn't really supposed to fit in that holder, but it does...just barely and without a case. The problem was that the console mount didn't really give the ideal tablet placement (mainly, it was so close to the shifter that I think it would interfere with shifts) and didn't seem super secure for something as big and heavy as a tablet.

I decided to borrow the ideas Scargoes posted above. He was nice enough to answer a couple PMs from me to clarify some things, too. I already had the tablet holder itself, and I wanted to try using a dash mount with a backing plate already tapped for screws. I ended up getting the Ram RAM-B-101U-225B2 Double Ball Mount with Backing Plate. I think it's about the same length as the iBolt mount Scargoes used. It's very rigid, and the rubber 1" ball ends hold a tablet's position very securely when the wing nut is tightened.

I think I ended up mounting it in a similar location to Scargoes:

Name:  IMG_0525.jpg
Views: 404
Size:  191.7 KB

The back plate is bigger than necessary, but mostly that is good because it provides extra rigidity in the mount. I did have to cut roughly 3/8-1/2" off the bottom edge of the plate in order to clear the bottom of the dash panel insert. The dash panel has some stiffening ribs and the backing plate sits on top of them. I used JB Weld Steel Stick putty between the plate and the back plastic of the panel to make a nice form fit and hold the plate in place if/when I ever unscrew the mount from the dash (panel doesn't have to be removed that way). With that putty in there, it helps make this mount more rigid by filling in the voids created by the ribs on the dash panel. I used the screws that Ram supplied, but I cut them shorter so they wouldn't hit the dash structure behind the panel. Here's what the backing plate looks like (sharpie marks just to make sure I didn't putty over the four holes I actually need):

Name:  IMG_0527.jpg
Views: 398
Size:  396.5 KB

With the AMPS bolt pattern, my ProClip holder fits perfectly on one end of that mount. The length and positioning of this arm allows the table to aim right at me and tuck in close to the Infotainment display. Sorry, my interior needs to be cleaned:

Name:  IMG_0529.jpg
Views: 418
Size:  324.0 KB

Name:  IMG_0531.jpg
Views: 438
Size:  340.6 KB

I test drove the setup today and it seems very secure and rigid: it does not jiggle much over bumps. The limitation on rigidity is in the panel itself (probably largely in the clips that hold it in) and possibly in the leather cover (the mounting screws might need to be tightened as the leather packs down over time). It doesn't look obtrusive when the tablet mount and arm aren't on there, but I've ordered a Ram RAM-HOL-PD3-238AU Quick-Grip Universal Phone Holder that I can pop into the arm in place of the tablet holder when I'm not at an autocross or track event. It will hold my phone nicely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by olblue75 View Post
So if your using the tablet for logging do you have to have it within arms reach or can you use a mount and attach it to a harness bar or roll cage and start the log before going on track??
I think you could mount it out of arm's reach and start it before you strap in. However, I also think it would be nicer to be able to control it whenever needed. It would also maybe be nice to sometimes review data and video from the driver's seat, and maybe even see the predictive info some apps provide during a lap.
Old 02-21-2023, 04:55 PM   #11
carguy55

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE
This is an old post, but here's another option. You could mount it similar to how I mounted the Garmin. Use an old plastic style "knee pad" and bolt up some Ram mounts. Nice and secure for track and within arms reach strapped into the race seat
Attached Images

carguy55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2023, 12:36 AM   #12
funked1

Drives: '23 Hyundai Kona N, '24 VW GTI
That's excellent. I have one of those plastic knee inserts laying around from when I upgraded to sexy suede.
funked1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2023, 12:13 PM   #13
funked1

Couldn't find my stock plastic knee pads so I bought the Course Motorsports head unit mount. I have a Tackform headrest camera mount that I am not using, so I am going to cannibalize that for parts. The Tackform stuff uses 20mm balls, but Course Motorsports uses a 17mm ball, so I bought a 20mm ball from Tackform to swap in. Course Motorsports sells balls in various sizes but they are pricey.

I didn't like any of the tablet holders I was seeing from RAM, Tackform, etc. They seem to be one-size-fits-all units that are unnecessarily bulky and heavy. So I am 3D printing a tablet holder of my own design that will screw on to a Tackform 2 hole AMPS mount. The holder will be pretty similar to the one MPS offers: https://www.mpsracing.com/products/MPS/TabletMount.asp

I will keep you guys posted and post pics if it works out.
Old 04-28-2023, 12:47 AM   #14
funked1

Making progress. I have a test version right now. Will post pics once I finalize the design. Going to print the final version in carbon fiber filament.

One thing I found that may be useful to everyone is 67Designs: https://www.67d.com/
They make a lot of really nice bits that are designed to be used in DIY mounting solutions like this. I am using their carbon fiber 20mm socket arm to keep weight down. I started out with Tackform stuff but like the 67D stuff better.