#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 04-15-2019, 09:43 AM   #57
ChevyRules

Drives: 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbls1 View Post
A Blazer SS is rumored here in the Big Apple show next week. Its suppose to be powerful but no v8. I thought Chevy learned their lesson with the SS badging. I applaud them for making fast handling platforms with forced induction. But an 'SS without the vaulted V8 will be a hard sell and starting with an uphill climb. I'd rather see a good performing and handling version with a different name.

So the Silverado SS was a true SS?

Having SS badging doesn't mean there has to be a V8 under the hood. Especially moving forward when forced inducted 6 cylinders are replacing NA V8's. The Cobalt SS T/C was worthy of the SS badge. The Malibu SS and Silverado SS were not. It's GM learning the lesson with the SS is why you see the increase use of the RS badging as my understanding, RS was always an appearance package more so than a power/performance package. A Blazer SS can be worthy of the SS badge if given the 3.0TT V6 and the necessary suspension to handle that power and handling( for a CUV).
ChevyRules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 09:44 AM   #58
DRKS1D3

Drives: '17 Corvette Grand Sport M7
Quote:
A Blazer SS is rumored here in the Big Apple show next week. Its suppose to be powerful but no v8. I thought Chevy learned their lesson with the SS badging. I applaud them for making fast handling platforms with forced induction. But an 'SS without the vaulted V8 will be a hard sell and starting with an uphill climb. I'd rather see a good performing and handling version with a different name.
You don't necessarily need SS models to be NA V8's anymore. You can make excellent power with smaller displacement, FI engines. And, IMHO, GM doesn't have to engineer new engines for these hypothetical SS variants either. A Sonic SS with a current GM 2.0L Turbo, putting out ~225-250hp would be plenty. Same with the Blazer. GM has a handful of TT'd V6 engines that are already released or are going to be released. Drop one of those into the fictional Blazer SS with ~400hp and make a statement.

**SOLD**2011 TRIPLE BLACK SS CONVERTIBLE--6 SPEED MANUAL, MANY MODS, 455 RWHP/435 RWTQ

DAD'S RIDE: 2012 ZL1 #1866--BLACK, 6 SPEED MANUAL, EXPOSED CF HOOD, POLISHED WHEELS, SUNROOF, ROTO-FAB INTAKE

"Silly Americans, taking from the rich and giving to the poor only works in fairy tales. Success is earned here!".
DRKS1D3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 10:09 AM   #59
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by camguynj View Post
Whatever,whomever. It's not that I'm opposed to the C8 I'd just really like to hear GM's rational for no more FE vette. If it's to promote the Camaro as its FE high performance car that's more affordable to more people than a Vette just say so. If it's not to have to maintain two divergent Vette platforms just say so. If it's something else just say so. I think GM owes 60+ years of Vette enthusiasts an explanation!
That to me is a big mistake. Sorry but the Camaro will never take the place of the Corvette. The Corvette is America's sports car. The Camaro will NEVER have that sort of prestige.
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 10:13 AM   #60
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by camguynj View Post
Whatever,whomever. It's not that I'm opposed to the C8 I'd just really like to hear GM's rational for no more FE vette. If it's to promote the Camaro as its FE high performance car that's more affordable to more people than a Vette just say so. If it's not to have to maintain two divergent Vette platforms just say so. If it's something else just say so. I think GM owes 60+ years of Vette enthusiasts an explanation!
Fair enough. I thought you were coming at it from a different angle, more anti-Barra than pro-transparency.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 10:17 AM   #61
ChevyRules

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
That to me is a big mistake. Sorry but the Camaro will never take the place of the Corvette. The Corvette is America's sports car. The Camaro will NEVER have that sort of prestige.

The Camaro isn't replacing the Corvette as America's sports car. If GM killed the Corvette and tried to sell the Camaro as the replacement, then it would be them trying to replace Corvette as America's sports car.

But it certainly is looking like if you wanted a V8 performance car from the bowtie brand, the Camaro is being positioned as the more affordable one.
Old 04-15-2019, 10:22 AM   #62
shaffe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevyRules View Post
The Camaro isn't replacing the Corvette as America's sports car. If GM killed the Corvette and tried to sell the Camaro as the replacement, then it would be them trying to replace Corvette as America's sports car.

But it certainly is looking like if you wanted a V8 performance car from the bowtie brand, the Camaro is being positioned as the more affordable one.
Which is essentially trying to put it in the place the Corvette had.

Bucket list item for me was to one day buy a brand new corvette. If Corvette goes upmarket and Camaro is positioned in it's place. Sorry would not even consider it. I don't care how fast it is, how good it handles, any of that. It's not a Corvette and never will be.

Which is why I am praying the base C-8 maintains the affordability previous gen corvettes have had.
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
Old 04-15-2019, 10:46 AM   #63
ChevyRules

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
Which is essentially trying to put it in the place the Corvette had.

Bucket list item for me was to one day buy a brand new corvette. If Corvette goes upmarket and Camaro is positioned in it's place. Sorry would not even consider it. I don't care how fast it is, how good it handles, any of that. It's not a Corvette and never will be.

Which is why I am praying the base C-8 maintains the affordability previous gen corvettes have had.

Same for me. I wanted a C7 Z51 when I was shopping back in 2016-2017. I loved Corvette's and I am hardly a Camaro person. Outside of exterior design, I was not much of a fan of the 5th gen( interior was lousy, didn't like how it drove, super lame the auto version had a different engine that made less HP than the LS3, etc). The C7 was outside of my price range and I didn't want to go the used route. That is where the 6th gen Camaro entered and I have zero regrets because the performance between the 6th gen and C7 isn't that far apart it doesn't feel like a compromise.
Old 04-15-2019, 10:55 AM   #64
shaffe

Quote:
Same for me. I wanted a C7 Z51 when I was shopping back in 2016-2017. I loved Corvette's and I am hardly a Camaro person. Outside of exterior design, I was not much of a fan of the 5th gen( interior was lousy, didn't like how it drove, super lame the auto version had a different engine that made less HP than the LS3, etc). The C7 was outside of my price range and I didn't want to go the used route. That is where the 6th gen Camaro entered and I have zero regrets because the performance between the 6th gen and C7 isn't that far apart it doesn't feel like a compromise.
That's my fear is they hope there are more people like you than me lol. Like I said, I don't care how fast the Camaro is, how good it handles any of that. It's not a Corvette.
Old 04-15-2019, 11:15 AM   #65
SSEssence
Instagram: Sangstah

Drives: 2019 Camaro 1LE
Finally a release date!!! I know the aftermarket will do great things with this platform for sure.

Follow the build https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=612717
SSEssence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 11:57 AM   #66
camguynj

Drives: '13 SS/RS LS3 BRM Cammed NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
Fair enough. I thought you were coming at it from a different angle, more anti-Barra than pro-transparency.
No animus towards her or anyone at GM. Was just making the comparison between her and Ma Ferguson in that should the C8 fall short of expectations would she talk the fall while the FE vette gets reinstated. Just really really would like to hear the rationale for discontinuing the FE vette. I expect it would be centered around needing to keep the corvette relevant with the world's super car sports cars, as after all the corvette is a sports car, and not wanting to incur the costs for two vette platforms. I think that’s an explanation everyone could understand.
camguynj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 12:03 PM   #67
Jay_LHD3

Drives: 2019 F150 RCSB Abyss FX4
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRKS1D3 View Post
You don't necessarily need SS models to be NA V8's anymore. You can make excellent power with smaller displacement, FI engines. And, IMHO, GM doesn't have to engineer new engines for these hypothetical SS variants either. A Sonic SS with a current GM 2.0L Turbo, putting out ~225-250hp would be plenty. Same with the Blazer. GM has a handful of TT'd V6 engines that are already released or are going to be released. Drop one of those into the fictional Blazer SS with ~400hp and make a statement.
Keep it in the 20-25K range and I'd buy one today!

Jay_LHD3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 12:39 PM   #68
DRKS1D3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay_LHD3 View Post
Keep it in the 20-25K range and I'd buy one today!

I've had two Cruze RS's as work cars over the past 6 years ('13 and '17). I'm due for a new one next February. A Sonic SS would be my pick too, if it is made.

**SOLD**2011 TRIPLE BLACK SS CONVERTIBLE--6 SPEED MANUAL, MANY MODS, 455 RWHP/435 RWTQ

DAD'S RIDE: 2012 ZL1 #1866--BLACK, 6 SPEED MANUAL, EXPOSED CF HOOD, POLISHED WHEELS, SUNROOF, ROTO-FAB INTAKE

"Silly Americans, taking from the rich and giving to the poor only works in fairy tales. Success is earned here!".
Old 04-15-2019, 12:47 PM   #69
lbls1

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS SOM; 2015 Malibu LTZ
Quote:
So the Silverado SS was a true SS?

Having SS badging doesn't mean there has to be a V8 under the hood. Especially moving forward when forced inducted 6 cylinders are replacing NA V8's. The Cobalt SS T/C was worthy of the SS badge. The Malibu SS and Silverado SS were not. It's GM learning the lesson with the SS is why you see the increase use of the RS badging as my understanding, RS was always an appearance package more so than a power/performance package. A Blazer SS can be worthy of the SS badge if given the 3.0TT V6 and the necessary suspension to handle that power and handling( for a CUV).
To me it the Silverado was. I'll give you that one, in that technically you don't have to have a v8 under the hood, as in the sixties quite a few lower level 'SS cars did have 6 cyl. engines. Yes, the 2005 Malibu SS was a sacrilege as well to the memory and legend of the SS name as well as early Malibus. You don't have to have blazing power either, because also in the 1960s you saw some models with power ranges between 250 and 285 hp. The legend of the SS, however, was established by large v8s with blistering power, starting with the first 'SS in '61. Thus is why I say that if you are looking to make a statement with a new car with the 'SS badging, then you will need to at least have a v8(not just power). Plenty of cars have come and gone (from Chevrolet and others) that didn't have a v8 and have had outstanding performance without the need of attaching an SS badge or any acronym. We have a couple in GM right now at this writing that can demonstrate outstanding performance. If you are going to put on the legendary badge, one should pay homage to its heritage.

Edit: My DD is an example. I was so relieved at the thought that Chevy finally learned their lesson by not putting an SS badge on it. Its sedate looking except for the rims and dual cat back, and quiet but (at the risk of tooting my own horn) it can move, it can maneuver, and its not that bad to look at. I am really weary of some of Chevy's efforts as of late, and a half baked 'SS model without the legendary sound, feel, smell and go of a v8 under the hood won't make things better for me.

'14 CAMARO ZL1 Blue Ray Metallic
lbls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 12:59 PM   #70
DRKS1D3

Quote:
To me it the Silverado was. I'll give you that one, in that technically you don't have to have a v8 under the hood, as in the sixties quite a few lower level 'SS cars did have 6 cyl. engines. Yes, the 2005 Malibu SS was a sacrilege as well to the memory and legend of the SS name as well as early Malibus. You don't have to have blazing power either, because also in the 1960s you saw some models with power ranges between 250 and 285 hp. The legend of the SS, however, was established by large v8s with blistering power, starting with the first 'SS in '61. Thus is why I say that if you are looking to make a statement with a new car with the 'SS badging, then you will need to at least have a v8(not just power). Plenty of cars have come and gone (from Chevrolet and others) that didn't have a v8 and have had outstanding performance without the need of attaching an SS badge or any acronym. We have a couple in GM right now at this writing that can demonstrate outstanding performance. If you are going to put on the legendary badge, one should pay homage to its heritage.

Edit: My DD is an example. I was so relieved at the thought that Chevy finally learned their lesson by not putting an SS badge on it. Its sedate looking except for the rims and dual cat back, and quiet but (at the risk of tooting my own horn) it can move, it can maneuver, and its not that bad to look at. I am really weary of some of Chevy's efforts as of late, and a half baked 'SS model without the legendary sound, feel, smell and go of a v8 under the hood won't make things better for me.
The majority of vehicles are getting smaller and you CANNOT shoehorn a V8 into them. Turbocharging a smaller cubed engine is the most logical option.