Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 6th gen Camaro vs...

AWE Tuning

Old 04-08-2019, 06:54 AM   #1
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
New Mid-Level Mustang?

I'll just leave this right here..... http://gmauthority.com/blog/2019/04/...w-mustang-svo/

Basically a lot of "it could be just about anything". The most interesting to me is, they're saying it will be revealed at the New York Auto Show. I'm guessing that if it is, it will be done off-site. I'll be attending the press conferences at the show on April 17th and Ford does not have a press conference scheduled. Lincoln does, but Ford does not. Ford does have an off-site event where they are supposed to introduce the 2020 Escape. So far I don't have an invite for that so I may have to rely on one of my colleagues to give me the lowdown if she decides to go.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 07:15 AM   #2
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
I saw this the other day. I doubt it will be anything special. And I'm not sure how many Mustangs Ford needs all hovering around the same performance level. If anything I think it would be better to have something between the GT and the GT500 but not the GT350 and not with a "Shelby" emblem or any other emblem that dealerships will use to take advantage of stupid people. Something in the way of a 550-650 HP Mustang.
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 07:19 AM   #3
DevilsReject97
Nightmare

Drives: Your mom crazy in bed
Seems like a dumb ass waste of money/time to me....but hey, it's Ford..
Old 04-09-2019, 12:06 AM   #4
protovack

Drives: 2019 2LT 2.0T M6 Riverside Blue
Seems like a smart move and they'll no doubt sell a lot of them to people looking for a basic no frills sports car that moves fast, but I'd venture to say the average mustang buyer has less car knowledge than the average camaro buyer.

The only cool thing about the Mustang is you get the 10 speed auto in all trims. It's clearly a better transmission, although I'm sure GMs strategy is to make Ford suffer the initial growing pains, then reap the benefits later on.

The Getrag M6 in the mustang has serious problems and no matter what engine they put in front of it, it just has not been a good transmission. If you look the forums are littered with people having issues with rough shifts, thuds, etc.

Camaros problem transmission is the A8. Mustangs is their M6. Being a manual guy myself, I will go with the car with the better manual transmission, which the Tremec 3160 clearly is.
protovack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 01:23 AM   #5
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
What I don't understand is how much cheaper can Mustangs get? I mean, at this point, how much quality will it sacrifice? And why does there need to be a cheaper non-V8 Mustang? They already discount them by thousands of dollars because they aren't worth MSRP and nobody buys them at that price anyway. And you have the EB Mustang available with different options that range the MSRP from low $20K for a base model to somewhere around the price of a base GT. So if this comes in at $30K, then what is the point if you can already get a EB or GT for that price? What options are they removing to get it cheaper and how is it "cheaper" than a base EB if it is $30K? It seems to me like Ford is just desperate to throw anything together and sell it cheap as hell.
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 10:38 AM   #6
Chadicus

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by protovack View Post
Seems like a smart move and they'll no doubt sell a lot of them to people looking for a basic no frills sports car that moves fast, but I'd venture to say the average mustang buyer has less car knowledge than the average camaro buyer.

The only cool thing about the Mustang is you get the 10 speed auto in all trims. It's clearly a better transmission, although I'm sure GMs strategy is to make Ford suffer the initial growing pains, then reap the benefits later on.

The Getrag M6 in the mustang has serious problems and no matter what engine they put in front of it, it just has not been a good transmission. If you look the forums are littered with people having issues with rough shifts, thuds, etc.

Camaros problem transmission is the A8. Mustangs is their M6. Being a manual guy myself, I will go with the car with the better manual transmission, which the Tremec 3160 clearly is.
I owned 2 different versions of that MT-82 and it is awful. Just dreadful. Not sure how Ford thinks a "mid-level" Mustang competes with the Camaro at all. Now if it was a 500-550 horsepower model then yeah. Not sure there is much room between the EcoBoost and GT for another engine option
Chadicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 10:43 AM   #7
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
My guess is it's going to be a Mustang ST. Something that performs in between a ecoboost PP and a GT.

The GT starts at 36450 MSRP and the EB starts at 27490. I think that gives them enough room to create a a little hotter EB mustang.

Blaq to your point, why buy a V6 1LE when you can get a SS for 3K more?

Different strokes for different folks.
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 11:01 AM   #8
DevilsReject97
Nightmare

Drives: Your mom crazy in bed
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
Blaq to your point, why buy a V6 1LE when you can get a SS for 3K more?

Different strokes for different folks.
Because the Mustang model will only add power, not additional track performance like the V6 1LE will. And while I adhere to buy the V8 over the V6 imo, I can see where many will view 350 hp as being the most they will ever want/need.
Old 04-09-2019, 10:18 PM   #9
Idaho2018GTPremium

Drives: 2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
Thought this quote was pretty accurate: "The rivalry between the Chevrolet Camaro and the Ford Mustang is endless. Every new development is debated in rage–filled screeds, seemingly changing the opinion of no one."

Sounds about right. Did they read the GT500 vs. ZL1 thread?

IMO a 350 hp Mustang ST/SVO/Whatever doesn't make that much sense, but priced right, between the EB and the GT, I guess they'd probably sell some to performance oriented buyers who can't afford the GT, or want more hp than standard EB and better gas mileage than the GT, and likely lower insurance rates.

Past:
2018 Mustang GT Premium w/ PP1, MR, and A10
2007 MazdaSpeed3
1995 Pontiac Trans Am
1987 Camaro Z28

Idaho2018GTPremium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 01:32 AM   #10
Chadicus

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaho2018GTPremium View Post
Thought this quote was pretty accurate: "The rivalry between the Chevrolet Camaro and the Ford Mustang is endless. Every new development is debated in rage–filled screeds, seemingly changing the opinion of no one."

Sounds about right. Did they read the GT500 vs. ZL1 thread?

IMO a 350 hp Mustang ST/SVO/Whatever doesn't make that much sense, but priced right, between the EB and the GT, I guess they'd probably sell some to performance oriented buyers who can't afford the GT, or want more hp than standard EB and better gas mileage than the GT, and likely lower insurance rates.
If they put the Mustang on the larger platform like the one article suggested then they could probably lower the entry point on both the EcoBoost and GT since it would be a shared platform. Still dont see a reason to offer another Mustang between the two. What would make sense to me is offering a hybrid drivetrain around 550 hp above the GT but of course under the 500.
Chadicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 05:27 AM   #11
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
My guess:
3.0 v6 twin-turbo ecoboost tuned for ~375-400hp mated to their A10.
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 05:58 AM   #12
USAFS197

Drives: 2018 Audi TT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunkk View Post
My guess:
3.0 v6 twin-turbo ecoboost tuned for ~375-400hp mated to their A10.
I hope that’s the case. I’ve had plenty of conversations about the current Mustang lineup. To me, there’s a glaring gap between the 320hp EcoBoost and the 460hp GT. A turbo V6 would slot beautifully in between those cars. My only gripe, and this goes between Ford in America and GM, is that their V6 models sound terrible. I would ditch my 1LE if Ford brought out a Mustang to the states that had a modernized Australian Barra engine in it, matted to the 10-speed auto. Let’s hope that a turbo V6 is in their lineup. I know they announced a new entry-level model but, I didn’t hear about a mid-level model.
About as fast as the TT RS
2019 Camaro ZL1 1LE
Sold
2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Sold
2019 Corvette Z06
Sold
2021 Charger Hellcat Redeye Widebody
Sold
USAFS197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 09:59 AM   #13
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
It's getting a version of the Focus RS engine, GT suspension bits. 2.3L High Performance Package.

I know everyone here it's not their cup of tea but IMO good on Ford for offering more options
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 10:10 AM   #14
Baldilocks01SS

Drives: SEARCHING
I still think Ford cares much more about the Mustang (given it's many many many variations), than Chevy does about the Camaro -- and it shows.
Baldilocks01SS is offline   Reply With Quote