Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Bigwormgraphix

Old 04-03-2019, 11:57 AM   #1
mjk3888
"M1SS1LE"

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
SS 1LE Close Call @ Road Atlanta

So I finally got some of my videos up from last years events and I thought I would share my near miss at Road Atlanta. It was hot approx 95-100F ambient, but I think the cause was mostly driving error and possibly some oil down from the Mustang parked around the corner.

Saw at least 5-6 cars crash there that weekend including the S2k below that had been running on track with me a few sessions. Please get track insurance its never worth the risk unless your driving a much cheaper car.

Old 04-03-2019, 12:55 PM   #2
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
good save!! that s2k was taking the gran turismo/forza line through the grass lol not fun
Old 04-03-2019, 01:14 PM   #3
Osbornsm

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE
Why did the S2000 oversteer so terrible coming back on track?

Didn't even look that fast once he rejoined the track surface.

Mods: Rotofab, Nick Williams 103mm TB, MSD IM, Kooks 1 7/8
Results: 470 hp / 447 tq
Osbornsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 01:35 PM   #4
mjk3888
"M1SS1LE"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osbornsm View Post
Why did the S2000 oversteer so terrible coming back on track?

Didn't even look that fast once he rejoined the track surface.

Saw one of the comments on his video that made sense to me. I think once he turned the wheel instead of holding it straight while on the grass he sealed his fate.
Old 04-03-2019, 01:48 PM   #5
FNxR3DNECK

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjk3888 View Post
Saw one of the comments on his video that made sense to me. I think once he turned the wheel instead of holding it straight while on the grass he sealed his fate.
I'd say he tried to drive out of it, that's where he screwed up. Once he knew he was taking a trip through the grass he slowed down a bit but tried to get back on it (at least a lil bit) once he got back on pavement, that's when he lost it. Should have just stayed on the brake, got the car slowed WAY DOWN and then carried on.

It's HPDE not a race, not taking a few seconds to collect yourself after an off is not worth crashing your car.
Old 04-03-2019, 01:50 PM   #6
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by FNxR3DNECK View Post
I'd say he tried to drive out of it, that's where he screwed up. Once he knew he was taking a trip through the grass he slowed down a bit but tried to get back on it (at least a lil bit) once he got back on pavement, that's when he lost it. Should have just stayed on the brake, got the car slowed WAY DOWN and then carried on.

It's HPDE not a race, not taking a few seconds to collect yourself after an off is not worth crashing your car.

yup i agree i had the power steering fail on my old cobalt ss at streets of willow going into the straight and i just kept the wheel straight and locked up the brakes and came to a stop that was fun lol
Old 04-03-2019, 02:11 PM   #7
mjk3888
"M1SS1LE"

Quote:
Originally Posted by FNxR3DNECK View Post

Yep it seems like he could've braked some in a straight line instead of trying to arc his way back on track. I do think he slightly touched the gas just before he was completely on the track that started the drift on the grass and it just got worse once he hit the pavement. I'm sure he wishes he could have it back.
Old 04-03-2019, 02:43 PM   #8
Bluebarchetta

Quote:
Yep it seems like he could've braked some in a straight line instead of trying to arc his way back on track. I do think he slightly touched the gas just before he was completely on the track that started the drift on the grass and it just got worse once he hit the pavement. I'm sure he wishes he could have it back.
Agree 100% here. If he’d just have taken his medicine, braked and slowed in a straight line regardless of on, or off track, it would have worked out fine.

Also, as someone who races these cars, people tend to run stiffer springs on them. It’s a very simple mod that makes them quite quicker. However, In off track scenarios, it tends to increase effects of rough terrain, reducing suspension compliance. This makes a car already prone to oversteer, even more so, during off track excursions.
Bluebarchetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 08:55 PM   #9
TheRedhead

Drives: 2018 Red Hot ZL1 1LE
If only that S2K had a big rear view mirror!

Built!
TheRedhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 11:55 AM   #10
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Quote:
So I finally got some of my videos up from last years events and I thought I would share my near miss at Road Atlanta. It was hot approx 95-100F ambient, but I think the cause was mostly driving error and possibly some oil down from the Mustang parked around the corner.

Saw at least 5-6 cars crash there that weekend including the S2k below that had been running on track with me a few sessions. Please get track insurance its never worth the risk unless your driving a much cheaper car.

What's the car in the 3rd vid? Sounds a bit like a Benz?
He defo lifts or perhaps even goes on brakes and the end result is - well - predictable.
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 11:57 AM   #11
mjk3888
"M1SS1LE"

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackClub View Post
What's the car in the 3rd vid? Sounds a bit like a Benz?
He defo lifts or perhaps even goes on brakes and the end result is - well - predictable.
Lotus
Old 04-04-2019, 12:04 PM   #12
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Quote:
Lotus
Thx! Sounded nice
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 05:51 PM   #13
Hasti

Drives: 2017 Hot Red 2ss Auto adrenaline
Quote:

That's what the mustang is for
Hasti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 05:21 PM   #14
Slaloms

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 1LE
MJK, running in PTM Race might not be a good idea anymore. You can see in the PDR how often traction control is being activated on corner exits, thus you might be getting a false impression of available rear grip. In PTM Race, traction control will still be active, however stability control will not. Easy to imagine a scenario when rear tires are already at their longitudinal limit (when traction control is working), and then any slight lateral request could result in less than ideal situations.

Probably best to run with everything off (press and hold), or one of the lower Sport settings. Just my thoughts, never enjoy seeing any videos like the S2k/Lotus, and glad you made it out ok.

Thanks for sharing, Road Atlanta is still a bucket list track for me.
Slaloms is offline   Reply With Quote