Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance - Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs

Phastek Performance

Old 03-20-2019, 03:26 PM   #1
GP86

Drives: 2017 2SS
Which rotary polishing attachment for drill?

I bought a used Borla exhaust and it's in really nasty condition. I am working on cleaning it up before installing on my car. I am making OK progress on the exterior and it's turning out as good as I expected it to. However, the inside of the tips is awful. I will need some sort of rotary polishing tool to use with a drill.

Has anyone used any of these? Mothers Power Ball, Chemical Guys Ball Buster, generic brand "flannelette" from Amazon or Harbor Freight, etc.?

I expect even the name brand versions will get caked with soot and be essentially unusable after I hit the first tip. Is this true based on anyone's experience? My instinct is to get the cheap versions and just throw them away when they get too bad. I can get 5 Harbor Freight polishing cones for less than the price of 1 Mother's Power Ball.

The polishing compound I have is Chemical Guys Heavy Metal Polish. I am using generic melamin sponges to remove the surface grime, followed by the heavy metal polish.
Old 03-20-2019, 10:34 PM   #2
KirkH

Drives: 2016 2SS M6 Mosaic Blk Met-SOLD
Quote:
Originally Posted by GP86 View Post
I bought a used Borla exhaust and it's in really nasty condition. I am working on cleaning it up before installing on my car. I am making OK progress on the exterior and it's turning out as good as I expected it to. However, the inside of the tips is awful. I will need some sort of rotary polishing tool to use with a drill.

Has anyone used any of these? Mothers Power Ball, Chemical Guys Ball Buster, generic brand "flannelette" from Amazon or Harbor Freight, etc.?

I expect even the name brand versions will get caked with soot and be essentially unusable after I hit the first tip. Is this true based on anyone's experience? My instinct is to get the cheap versions and just throw them away when they get too bad. I can get 5 Harbor Freight polishing cones for less than the price of 1 Mother's Power Ball.

The polishing compound I have is Chemical Guys Heavy Metal Polish. I am using generic melamin sponges to remove the surface grime, followed by the heavy metal polish.
I use the generic flannelettes and throw them away when they are too nasty.

You can also use steel wool for your first step to remove grime.
KirkH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 12:36 PM   #3
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Mothers Powerball and stainless steel cleaner from the dollar store.
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 12:53 PM   #4
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
The powercone as well… Both of them have a solid, specific uses around the car. Right now I'm using mothers metal polish, however all of them work pretty well if they're from one of the major manufacturers. By hand, A wad of nevr- dull works pretty well too.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote