#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

Bigwormgraphix

Old 04-05-2019, 01:42 PM   #99
F1FTY

Drives: 2018 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMotorMagazine View Post
That's odd, I bought a cheap Dell at Walmart with crappy Windows 10, and I got it to work. Is this a case where you've never had connection with controller, or just on this computer? Sometimes things get jacked in the downloading, and you've got to trash the offending software and reload it. If you're able to communicate with controller with firmware downloader, and not calibration software, or vice versa, it's not the controller. You may want to call DSC and ask for Tom, he can tell you issues where software installs went south. There's a video on downloading and installing, but don't think it addresses how a previous install can create issues, without trashing all the old files. What I'd do is completely trash previous downloads and all related files, pull your controller out, have cable ready to plug in, call Tom, have him walk you through download, install, and connection to controller. Be sure to call him right before lunch EST, and if he get pissy, tell him you read on the internet that he's a Camaro racist, lol!
Thank you for all of your help in this thread, it's very much appreciated!

I'll delete everything and try again...you may be onto something since I still have the older Tuner software installed too.
F1FTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 03:16 PM   #100
MadMotorMagazine
MCFLY

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1FTY View Post
Thank you for all of your help in this thread, it's very much appreciated!

I'll delete everything and try again...you may be onto something since I still have the older Tuner software installed too.
99.9% chance that's your problem, I should have asked that question first!!! When the old tuner software is on the computer, there's drama. They just don't get along :(

Lemme know if that fixes your issue. Be sure to coordinate the comm port thing again. The latest firmware is really for that mid '18 and up where GM updated infotainment, and started using dual chip, so DSC made the V4 with dual chip. The latest firmware activates second chip so controller is compatible with mid '18 and up Camaro/Corvette, including ZR1, but it's not recommended for pre dual chip cars like my '17.

I tried the new firmware and was unable to use my PDR to recored runs. I've still got to repeat the process to be sure, and try another SD card I know works, so I can confirm latest Camaro firmware should only be used on mid '18 and up with dual chip.
MadMotorMagazine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 09:49 AM   #101
F1FTY

Quote:
99.9% chance that's your problem, I should have asked that question first!!! When the old tuner software is on the computer, there's drama. They just don't get along :(

Lemme know if that fixes your issue. Be sure to coordinate the comm port thing again. The latest firmware is really for that mid '18 and up where GM updated infotainment, and started using dual chip, so DSC made the V4 with dual chip. The latest firmware activates second chip so controller is compatible with mid '18 and up Camaro/Corvette, including ZR1, but it's not recommended for pre dual chip cars like my '17.

I tried the new firmware and was unable to use my PDR to recored runs. I've still got to repeat the process to be sure, and try another SD card I know works, so I can confirm latest Camaro firmware should only be used on mid '18 and up with dual chip.
That fixed the problem! I can now read all from the device and connect to it!!

Thank you!!

My car is a 2018 model, what version firmware are you using? PTM is not displaying in the Tuner software, is that normal? How will I know if my car has a dual-chip or not? When I go to the website to download the latest Camaro files, they are labeled as C7 in the filename and only the Corvette has labelling for V4.

Last edited by F1FTY; 04-06-2019 at 10:17 AM.
Old 04-06-2019, 09:52 AM   #102
F1FTY

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOHCVTEC View Post
glad you are back in the discussion MadMotor
It makes sense that this calibration for the SS 1LE could use a little tweaking for the ZL1 because of the weight mostly, front end weight..

can anyone tell me if the spring rates are higher in the ZL1 the the SS1LE?? I suspect they are. If so, I believe a rebound adjustment is in order

Also, I have made a few more tweaks to the comfort settings and the Touring mode.. Today was day one of the Second Revision and I love it!!

The car is flatter, tighter, more fun to drive in Touring mode... Still plenty comfortable!

I can send the file to anyone who wants, feel free to use your software to open it and make sure there is nothing crazy going on there..

I would love for someone else to try it out
Now that my device is working, i'm very interested in trying out your settings on my ZL1. Mind sending them over my way? I'll give them a good street test.
Old 04-06-2019, 03:25 PM   #103
DOHCVTEC

Drives: 2018 Chevy Camaro ZL1 M6
Quote:
Now that my device is working, i'm very interested in trying out your settings on my ZL1. Mind sending them over my way? I'll give them a good street test.

congratulations!!
pm me your email and I will email you the file tonight or tomorrow... not sure if you have tried the out of the box DSC settings yet, hopefully you have because I would like to know if you feel the difference between theirs and my revised calibration...

cheers!

Last edited by DOHCVTEC; 04-06-2019 at 11:36 PM.
DOHCVTEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 06:32 PM   #104
MadMotorMagazine
MCFLY

Quote:
That fixed the problem! I can now read all from the device and connect to it!!

Thank you!!

My car is a 2018 model, what version firmware are you using? PTM is not displaying in the Tuner software, is that normal? How will I know if my car has a dual-chip or not? When I go to the website to download the latest Camaro files, they are labeled as C7 in the filename and only the Corvette has labelling for V4.
Glad you got it up and running! Sorry it took me a bit to think of it... usually the first thing I ask is if a previous version has been loaded, but I've got an excuse, I'm really really old
After you get the hang of it and see many of the tuning possibilities, you'll dig it.
Old 04-08-2019, 06:45 PM   #105
MadMotorMagazine
MCFLY

Quote:
congratulations!!
pm me your email and I will email you the file tonight or tomorrow... not sure if you have tried the out of the box DSC settings yet, hopefully you have because I would like to know if you feel the difference between theirs and my revised calibration...

cheers!
Glad to see fellow ZL1 owners sharing calibrations and information, it's part of what makes it a fun, interactive experience.

On a slightly modified SS 1LE, my only tweaks were to increase low/med compression and rebound on sport, and low/med/high on track. Chad Langley was P1 on road course at 2017 PPIR OPTIMA USCA event, and sat out last session to cool the brakes, and make another run at speed stop. It took an 800 HP Mustang with every mod known to man, to nip his time in 4th session, bumped him to P2. Camaro SS 1LE mods were E85, tune, wicker bill, OEM G3 tires, DSC Sport V2 controller, and Gain Fresh Scent air freshener. Don't underestimate the benefit of clean smelling air!
Old 04-08-2019, 11:36 PM   #106
DOHCVTEC

Quote:
Glad to see fellow ZL1 owners sharing calibrations and information, it's part of what makes it a fun, interactive experience.

On a slightly modified SS 1LE, my only tweaks were to increase low/med compression and rebound on sport, and low/med/high on track. Chad Langley was P1 on road course at 2017 PPIR OPTIMA USCA event, and sat out last session to cool the brakes, and make another run at speed stop. It took an 800 HP Mustang with every mod known to man, to nip his time in 4th session, bumped him to P2. Camaro SS 1LE mods were E85, tune, wicker bill, OEM G3 tires, DSC Sport V2 controller, and Gain Fresh Scent air freshener. Don't underestimate the benefit of clean smelling air!
lol

well, just sent the tune to F1FTY...
we are just at the beginning stages but so far I personally am much happier with the touring mode and where as before I would immediately go into sport or track, now I find my self enjoying touring mode and rarely getting out of it unless I'm really throwing it around or need the PTM
I drive spirited almost 100% of the time..

next track session hopefully in May

so question for you madmotor, were those changes you made on the tractive shocks or or the mags?

also a question from before, in Sport and Track (but not in Tour for some reason) the Rear Wheel Compression for Mid and High Speed is set to - 20, which seems like a lot... but the rebound to the Rear is set to + 5 for all shocks speeds... I looked at the GT350 calibration and its the same thing for them too....
I am thinking this is what helps the car out of the corners by letting it squat... can you confirm?
Old 04-09-2019, 03:09 AM   #107
MadMotorMagazine
MCFLY

Quote:
lol

we are just at the beginning stages but so far I personally am much happier with the touring mode and where as before I would immediately go into sport or track, now I find my self enjoying touring mode and rarely getting out of it unless I'm really throwing it around or need the PTM

so question for you madmotor, were those changes you made on the tractive shocks or or the mags?

also a question from before, in Sport and Track (but not in Tour for some reason) the Rear Wheel Compression for Mid and High Speed is set to - 20, which seems like a lot... but the rebound to the Rear is set to + 5 for all shocks speeds... I looked at the GT350 calibration and its the same thing for them too....
I am thinking this is what helps the car out of the corners by letting it squat... can you confirm?
Short answers:
Question 1: Both
Question from before: Confirmed, Sport/Track optimized for power down corner exit, and influenced by car/driver inputs, which can modify those values as needed in other tables.
Old 04-13-2019, 10:13 AM   #108
F1FTY

Quote:
lol

Thank you for sending the file over! I just got back into the country last night and of course it's raining here today. I'll need to zero the car out, then do some base map vs. your map comparison on the street and will come back here and share my thoughts.

I'm not a track warrior but I do have experience running shocks from the following:

-BC Racing BR type
-Bilstein B12 kit
-KW V3's with custom valving and lots of allen key turning
-H&R street coilovers
-Tein SSP
-Tokico 4-ways
-MRC on the SS, 1LE and now ZL1
Old 04-13-2019, 10:58 PM   #109
MadMotorMagazine
MCFLY

If and when any of you install DSC Sport Tractive RT coil-over shocks, I've got a few good Camaro autocross calibrations to share. Big question for many is how good are these shocks?

Today, we got to see what they do on a couple of OPTIMA USCA cars at Daytona. DSC Sport/TPC Racing owner, Michael Levitas in his 700 HP Porsche GT2RSx and Steve Kepler in his 800 HP Nissan GT-R. Both cars put down big power and the V-series controller and RT shocks make it possible.

Mike was P1 (1:56.841) on road course, Steve was P2 (1:58.432), separated by 1.591 seconds and nothing else was even close. In Speed Stop, Steve was P1, Mike P2, Autocross, Steve P1, Mike P5. Mike Kept driving over the same last cone all day long, lol!

Wasn't because of the car, he just wasn't judging where last cone was correctly. He had several times good enough for P1, but it was like that same cone was a magnet, all day long, and he could have avoided it, if he stopped looking in that direction! If you focus on a cone and tell yourself not to hit it, you'll hit it... trick is to look where you want to be, not where you don't want to be.

He knows this from road racing, but that one cone was like a car wreck on the road side, and Mike just couldn't resist! Randy Adkins and Jim Thomas co-drive a GT350 with these shocks, and won OPTIMA's AutoX at ZMax. Brian Peters won last years AutoX at Peru in the DSC Sport Camaro we affectionately call McFly. Calvo Motorsports has the Viper record for roll racing on these shocks, so lots to be said about what's been accomplished in a short time and what's to come.

BTW, Steve pulled JRI's off his GT-R, which performed well for him, but not in the same zip code as DSC Sport Tractive RT shocks have. You'll start to see more and more accomplishments this year, so keep up on Facebook DSC Sport, Michael Levitas, Randy Adkins, Robert Weathers, and Cody Grissom, who is the newest RT shock customer, in his 2017 Camaro SS 1LE. DSC Sport isn't the only answer, but it sure is best one...
Old 04-23-2019, 08:33 AM   #110
Badmojo
aka BeastZL1

Drives: 2019 Camaro ZL1 1LE, 2004 Cobra
What is the order of tweaking people are doing on the ZL1 for road courses?

1. Calibration table
2. Velocity
3. G Table

Has anyone seen improvements in lap times?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 04-24-2019, 12:57 AM   #111
DOHCVTEC

I personally I am working on the feel first.. Trying to get the car to feel more sporty yet stay comfortable and just learn how it reacts to slight variations so I can get it to my liking. I am not prepared to make any major adjustments for track use, which is everything outside of the G-comfort zone especially in Track setting. The car is pretty amazing on track with this canned tune so once I get a lot more familiar with track behaviour, maybe I will do some changes. I am thinking of adding more front low speed and mid speed rebound by 10% to begin with.. Got a track day end of may, I may try it then...

I updated the G-table for comfort settings only, in all three driving modes.. I think the comfort setting is way too soft out of the box, and when you study the G-table for a little while you will see why... I also updated Velocity in Tour mode only by adding more rebound... So far am enjoying the changes very much
Old 05-04-2019, 10:57 PM   #112
DOHCVTEC

F1FTY, did you get a chance to try it? wondering what your impressions are

Tags
dsc controller, dsc sport, mag ride, zl1